Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Lange Power Hoist-a-Top™ worth the money? Harken Hoister? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/lange-power-hoist-a-top-worth-the-money-harken-hoister-249681.html)

st1264 06-16-2013 09:24 AM

Lange Power Hoist-a-Top™ worth the money? Harken Hoister?

Lange Originals Power Hoist-a-Top™ for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door with 3 Piece Freedom Top™ - Quadratec

Looking for a hardtop hoist for my 13' JKU. This one is powered and is $399. I'm just wondering if anyone has one or would recommend another one for a 4dr hardtop. I was originally thinking about doing the 'ratchet strap' cheap way but with the investment I've put into my Jeep, I won't mind investing a little in a good hoist.

Seems many are buying the Harken Hoister...

Harken Hoister 7803B - Harken Hoister Garage Storage 4-Point Lift System for Jeep® Hardtops & Recreational Equipment - Quadratec

Any thoughts? My garage is approx 10ft high.

RoadiJeff 06-16-2013 11:20 AM

I recently installed the Harken hoist from Quadratec. My finished garage ceiling is 10'-4" and it can lift the top completely above the Jeep, where we can pull in or back in without it touching anything. I like that I can lift the whole top while standing in one spot, unlike some of the 4-corner ratcheting videos I've seen.

Also, get some pool noodles to protect the rubber seals from the straps.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...fnigI1I6S3qqYA

jdambm 06-16-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st1264 (Post 3865807)
Lange Originals Power Hoist-a-Top™ for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door with 3 Piece Freedom Top™ - Quadratec

Looking for a hardtop hoist for my 13' JKU. This one is powered and is $399. I'm just wondering if anyone has one or would recommend another one for a 4dr hardtop. I was originally thinking about doing the 'ratchet strap' cheap way but with the investment I've put into my Jeep, I won't mind investing a little in a good hoist.

Harken Hoister 7803B - Harken

Hoister Garage Storage 4-Point Lift System for Jeep®

Hardtops & Recreational Equipment - Quadratec

I bought this one from Quadratec. They price matched JC Whitney and I like it. A little pricey but quality usually is and I like that the freedom panels store on top and it bungees in.
My garage is 8'6 and I have 4 kids in an out with stuff so I felt safer with this setup.

st1264 06-16-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff (Post 3866063)
I recently installed the Harken hoist from Quadratec. My finished garage ceiling is 10'-4" and it can lift the top completely above the Jeep, where we can pull in or back in without it touching anything. I like that I can lift the whole top while standing in one spot, unlike some of the 4-corner ratcheting videos I've seen.

Also, get some pool noodles to protect the rubber seals from the straps.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...fnigI1I6S3qqYA

Do you have a pic of your setup using the Pool Noodles? Didn't know the straps would damage the rubber seals...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdambm (Post 3866091)
I bought this one from Quadratec. They price matched JC Whitney and I like it. A little pricey but quality usually is and I like that the freedom panels store on top and it bungees in.
My garage is 8'6 and I have 4 kids in an out with stuff so I felt safer with this setup.

Lange Power Hoist?

RoadiJeff 06-16-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st1264 (Post 3866135)
Do you have a pic of your setup using the Pool Noodles? Didn't know the straps would damage the rubber seals...

No pic of it and the top is back on the Jeep right now. All you do with the noodle is open one up and slip it over the rubber seal where the strap comes in contact with it. The strap then presses against the noodle, not the rubber.

The strap probably wouldn't damage the rubber seal but it does press it in a bit. Someone else in another thread mentioned it and it sounded like a good idea. Pipe insulation would probably work, too.

Edit: I found a pick someone else posted in another thread.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...1&d=1368213112

Doctorsti 06-16-2013 11:05 PM

I made a hoist bar just like the Lange from U channel (super strut) and while it looks great and really sturdy I need the back window to close so I had to abandon the hoist I built and ordered the Harken from quadratec. I am sticking with the second part of my hoist which is a 70"x40" plywood shelf hung from 4 eye bolts also installed in the 2x6's used in the Harken install. This way I can hoist it to the ceiling, attach the shelf underneath it using 4 x 4' lengths of chain and lower the top to the shelf where I will store the freedom panels. I will the store the soft top up on th shelf in winter.

Get the ease of the harken but avoid letting the top hang on the weather stripping and have a nice spot for the panels.

Blkfenderslookbetter 06-17-2013 10:41 AM

I have the Lange Power Hoist. I also have a 9' garage ceiling. Knowing what I know now, I'd do a Harken if I did it over again.

The power hoist is great for easy one-handed operation... which I need. The drawback is that it doesn't get it as close to the ceiling as the Harken. Probably only about 3" lower, but that makes a difference if you have a lower ceiling.
Another drawback with the Lange is that after the top is lifted, you still have to do something to keep the top from "spinning" under the hook. I just put a couple of eye hooks in the ceiling and run straps under the top to steady it. No a big deal, but it's a necessary extra step that you wouldn't have with the Harken.

I've never used a Harken, so I can't comment on the lifting action required. Obviously, the Lange's one hand power button, and one hand on the top prevents some costly mishaps. So that's a plus.

st1264 06-17-2013 10:46 AM

Thanks for your review ^.

I think the 4 Point lift from Harken is the best bet here... cheap and seems to be quite good. Haven't heard anything bad about them yet.

Bad_Dog 06-17-2013 10:52 AM

I installed the Lange Power Hoist a few weeks ago and like it. No problems with the installation, though I had to do some additional support for the motor that mounts to the wall (no fault of theirs, just design of my garage.

After lifted, it spinned/spun/spanned/turned to the right half way. So the rear window is facing the side of my garage instead of the rear of the garage. Not an issue since it's high up enough that it doesn't touch on anything, up there and down around where I walk.

I went with the power unit since it is easier for me to lower and raise it by myself. There was no place to put the manual hoist in a place that wouldn't be in the way. The corner of the garage (I have a two-car garage, with two doors) where I have it is in the corner where my bench is and cabinets. The other side is where the stairs to go inside the house so that wouldn't be a possible spot.

The fact that I can easily swap tops, alone, is what sold me on it. I especially liked the Lange because I can store the freedom panels on top of the hoist. Less space occupying my garage floor.

Seginus 06-17-2013 11:05 AM

I had to add an extra 2X4 due to the way my rafters aligned though. I left it hanging for two weeks while on vacation :eek: and it was still hanging there when I got back :thumb:.

Only thing is that i pull the straps all the way up when not in use and there isnt enough weight on it to easily come back down. I have to pull on the extra cabling while pulling on the main sheet. Need to find something to hang on it while not in use.

PRWhitby 06-17-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st1264 (Post 3865807)

Harken Hoister 7803B - Harken Hoister Garage Storage 4-Point Lift System for Jeep® Hardtops & Recreational Equipment - Quadratec

I also bought the Lange, but not the powered one. Am only anticipating using it twice a year, so I figured I would go with the manual crank. No regrets so far.

jdambm 06-18-2013 08:39 AM

http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/...ps79cda2c5.jpg
Hope this helps

WesterM3 06-18-2013 01:24 PM

Powered Lange

Absolutely love the powered Lange, zero regrets. So easy the wife or kids could do it without me if they needed to.

utjdh04 06-18-2013 02:13 PM

Have any trouble with it spinning after you removed the top? If so, what did you do to address it?

flyingbigf00t 06-18-2013 02:24 PM

I have the Harken Hoist. Works great, easy to install and it was a decent price.

My only complaint is that when you have partially unloaded the system (i.e. the back of the top is resting on the Jeep) it is very difficult to get the line to release from the cleat. My work around was to install a small carabiner in the cutout behind the cleat tongue. I tied the free end of the rope to this carabiner and can now fully release the tension in the system by pulling forward on the free line.

WesterM3 06-18-2013 03:27 PM

balnce

Quote:

Originally Posted by utjdh04 (Post 3873737)
Have any trouble with it spinning after you removed the top? If so, what did you do to address it?

No, you balance it with a gallon jug of water.

firebrick 06-18-2013 07:26 PM

I didn't trust the front two piece section of my Lange so I went out and bought a single section of 1" square stock. Now it works good but still hard to trust only one securing point to ceiling.

Seginus 06-19-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingbigf00t (Post 3873778)
I have the Harken Hoist. Works great, easy to install and it was a decent price.

My only complaint is that when you have partially unloaded the system (i.e. the back of the top is resting on the Jeep) it is very difficult to get the line to release from the cleat. My work around was to install a small carabiner in the cutout behind the cleat tongue. I tied the free end of the rope to this carabiner and can now fully release the tension in the system by pulling forward on the free line.

Can you post a pic of that setup? With annotations? That may be what I need to do. thanks

Blkfenderslookbetter 06-19-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WesterM3 (Post 3873974)
No, you balance it with a gallon jug of water.

Balancing the lift only keeps the top level, it doesn't stop the swivel

dpostman 06-19-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st1264 (Post 3866135)

Here is a pic of mine with the pool noodles. I used the 200lb Harken Hoister for 12ft ceilings. My ceilings are just under 11ft, and I can bring the top down all the way to the floor. Also, I did not use the figure 8 knot as suggested in Harken manual. I used a Bowline knot. I also added the extra 2X4 because my rafters are setup left to right instead of front to back.

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/...n/DSCN1035.jpg

Lil Black JK 06-19-2013 12:25 PM

Lange

1 Attachment(s)
I like my electric Lange hoist. I've got a high ceiling so it works well for me. I can have the top on or off in minutes. It takes longer to put on the freedom tops than the rear top. One hand on the top to steady it and one on the hoist control.

Cdwright 06-19-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil Black JK (Post 3877624)
I like my electric Lange hoist. I've got a high ceiling so it works well for me. I can have the top on or off in minutes. It takes longer to put on the freedom tops than the rear top. One hand on the top to steady it and one on the hoist control.

How high is the ceiling?

Robwise 06-19-2013 01:59 PM

I built my own lift. Seen a couple on u tube. I built a t bar with 3 hooks. Even bought a electric winch. Works great. Can have that baby off in minutes BY MYSELF. Lol Cost was about half of the harken

Lil Black JK 06-19-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cdwright (Post 3877652)
How high is the ceiling?

16 feet.

flyingbigf00t 06-20-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seginus (Post 3876925)
Can you post a pic of that setup? With annotations? That may be what I need to do. thanks

Sorry i have been wicked busy at work. I will take some pictures tonight and post them.

firebrick 06-23-2013 11:07 AM

Guys with the Lange hoist. Do you feel it is secure enough with just the two eye bolts or do you have something rigged up for when you have the top hanging?

jdambm 06-23-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firebrick (Post 3890907)
Guys with the Lange hoist. Do you feel it is secure enough with just the two eye bolts or do you have something rigged up for when you have the top hanging?

In my pic posted above I just took two smaller eye bolts and ran the orange strap underneath the front to keep it steady and not swing. It is plenty sturdy
IMHO

Cdwright 06-23-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firebrick (Post 3890907)

Once you get it balanced, it is pretty good. I think some use straps as a backup/ safety net in case of failure.

No one has posted a failure yet. The winch is raising about a quarter of its capacity.

flyingbigf00t 07-18-2013 06:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seginus (Post 3876925)

Sorry it took me forever to get this for you. Basically I tied the free end of the hoist line to the carabiner, and hook the carabiner between the release flange and the loaded line. The two pictures below illustrate my setup.

I want to note it is very easy to accidentally release the cleat with this arraignment. You need to be careful.

Attachment 274529

Attachment 274532

Lbear 07-18-2013 06:24 PM

I have the Racor platform hoist. You get a storage platform that can also lift your top- and its only $137. It's the one in the picture above by poster Roadijeff. Best of all you can hoist manually or powered with a 1/2 inch drill. With the drill it goes up and down quickly. It is easy to install and well built.

Racor PHL-1R Pro HeavyLift 4-by-4-Foot Cable-Lifted Storage Rack - Amazon.com