i was driving my jeep yesterday and i was on the interstate when my check engine light came on. a little later i lost power to my radio then later i lost power to everything else and my brakes wouldnt work. i got it towed home and the negative wires on the battery had melted the terminal. when i connect them back the rear drum brake lines over heat and cause the rubber case on them to burn any ideas on what it could be?????????????
92 yj 2.5l ax5
06-16-2013 12:35 PM
you must have a positive wire grounding out some where to melt away your negative terminal. Is all your wiring neat and tidy or like some of the pictures I have seen of other jeepers with wiring all over the place?
06-16-2013 12:41 PM
neat in some places and all over in others. (not my doing)
06-16-2013 12:56 PM
You said that the rear drum brake lines coating melted. Are you saying that the coating on the steel brake lines that carry the brake fluid to the rear brakes melted? If that is what you are saying then I would be looking for a positive wire touching somewhere in the rear of the vehicle. Maybe a wire going to the trailer hitch that may have been installed to provide full battery power to the trailer. If that is the case, it may be unfused taken directly off of the battery and possibly shorted (and welded) to the brake line in the rear possibly because of rubbing through the insulation on the wire. Can you describe in more detail about the rear brake lines? Or did I get it right?
06-18-2013 02:14 PM
the coating melted off but the trailer wireing is inside the cab and dosent go thrue the underside
06-18-2013 02:23 PM
Could you take a pic? So we can see what you're talking about, my rear brake lines don't have any kind of rubber coating on them.
06-18-2013 07:33 PM
He may have undercoating on his lines. The melting of this coating probably seems to point to a short to ground that somehow is traveling down the brake line to the front of the vehicle where it is fastened to ground. This is certainly a puzzler.
06-19-2013 05:48 AM
i have had 2 aday practices all week and as soon as i can get time to take pictures ill post them thanks for all the help
06-19-2013 08:03 AM
Another way that this could happen is the short is in the front and it goes to ground through the brake line to the rear. Either way lots of current traveling through the brake line could heat it to the point of melting the coating. Just curious how the short happened.
06-20-2013 06:54 PM
I went out and started checking all my wires and they were all connected and I walked to the front and noticed that the positive winch wire had melted thrue it's insulation and welded itself to the frame so I disconected the winch and my jeep runs just fine now with no problems
06-20-2013 07:38 PM
Now, since the brake line was overheated by the short based on your statement that the coating was melting, I would change out the brake fluid just in case it was overheated during the short circuit.