Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Frame help! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/frame-help-249735.html)

The Big-A 06-16-2013 02:16 PM

Frame help!
 
I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport with a 4.0L AUTO. My tranny has gone out, so today I started to work on it and when i went to go pull off the skid plate, all the skid plate bolts destoryed all the threads in the frame and one is stuck in the frame. Im sure in not the only one out there that has had this happen to them, so im asking for anyones help on a way to fix this. I dont know if this matter or not but i do have a 4inche lift kit on my jeep.

thank you for you time, im open to any ideas!

Shoe 06-16-2013 02:35 PM

Do a search for "nutserts". There's a giant thread on how to replace them, where to get them, etc. You'll have to cut the old bolts off if they just spin. It's not really a hard repair.
If the frame is rusted through there, you have bigger problems.

XDR 06-16-2013 02:56 PM

I just replaced all 6 of mine.. There are 2 sizes so make sure to order the ones for your year.

jasonduke5 06-16-2013 08:29 PM

I would cut the bottom half the frame and replace the whole piece. You can get the piece to weld in here.

http://www.autorust.com/

The Big-A 06-16-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoe (Post 3866452)
Do a search for "nutserts". There's a giant thread on how to replace them, where to get them, etc. You'll have to cut the old bolts off if they just spin. It's not really a hard repair.
If the frame is rusted through there, you have bigger problems.


thanks for the idea, the "nutserts" seam like they would be a easier fix then replacing the frame right there, and mine is not rusted out the threads just stripped out.

thanks!

The Big-A 06-16-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoe (Post 3866452)
Do a search for "nutserts". There's a giant thread on how to replace them, where to get them, etc. You'll have to cut the old bolts off if they just spin. It's not really a hard repair.
If the frame is rusted through there, you have bigger problems.


where can i get the nutserts at? can i just google them or is it something i have to special order.

jasonduke5 06-17-2013 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Big-A (Post 3867914)

thanks for the idea, the "nutserts" seam like they would be a easier fix then replacing the frame right there, and mine is not rusted out the threads just stripped out.

thanks!

As long as it is rusted to bad nutserts will work great. But if the rust is bad enough when you go to weld them in the frame will just evaporate. But if the rust isn't bad they will weld right in no problem.

XDR 06-17-2013 06:08 AM

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/nu...nstall-390635/

Order the nutsert and new bolt from dealer, I went with online dealer as they were 1/2 cost of local. If you need the tool to install PM me and I can send you mine.

The Big-A 06-21-2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XDR (Post 3868460)
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/nu...nstall-390635/

Order the nutsert and new bolt from dealer, I went with online dealer as they were 1/2 cost of local. If you need the tool to install PM me and I can send you mine.

Ok sounds good, thanks for the informations


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 AM.