Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Colorado Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/)
-   -   Taking doors off (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/taking-doors-off-249806.html)

JeepandMud 06-16-2013 08:03 PM

Taking doors off

For the first time on the 25th. Looking for any tips or suggestions to possibly ease the transition?

music_man185 06-16-2013 08:11 PM

make sure to buckle up!

JeepandMud 06-16-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man185 (Post 3867261)
make sure to buckle up!

That and I've also heard to make sure there's nothing in the Jeep that could blow away. I'm putting my tonneau on and possibly safari top. But for now it would be hardtop and doorless

music_man185 06-16-2013 08:19 PM

yes, things will fly out more easily if not secured. the main thing is to just make sure everything (including yourself and any passengers) are safely secured.

JeepandMud 06-16-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man185 (Post 3867284)
yes, things will fly out more easily if not secured. the main thing is to just make sure everything (including yourself and any passengers) are safely secured.

It's usually just me. Rarely do I have a passenger. I sold my back seat, so I only have 2 people to watch out for :thumb:

Sinister6 06-16-2013 08:31 PM

Don't forget security... Take your doors off and look around at what a thief would possibly see and could take...
Registration, auto insurance with personal information on it. iPod cord etc... Things you take for granted when the Jeep is locked up.

JeepandMud 06-16-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinister6 (Post 3867339)
Don't forget security... Take your doors off and look around at what a thief would possibly see and could take...
Registration, auto insurance with personal information on it. iPod cord etc... Things you take for granted when the Jeep is locked up.

I'm actually thinking of bringing everything in part of living in a apartment without coverings. Eh, my phone charger is worthless lol. Doesn't charge my phone. But everything else I'll take in. What should do with my cb bracket and holder for the speaker? Can't even think of the name where you speak into :banghead:

Sinister6 06-16-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepandMud (Post 3867365)

I'm actually thinking of bringing everything in part of living in a apartment without coverings. Eh, my phone charger is worthless lol. Doesn't charge my phone. But everything else I'll take in. What should do with my cb bracket and holder for the speaker? Can't even think of the name where you speak into :banghead:

Regarding the phone charger...they don't know it's junk, so if they see it they'll figure there's more in it, get rid of it! . I leave my CB in the Jeep. Thought about using disconnects but decided against it. But at the same time I have a garage...
Most thieves want a quick pick...if they don't see anything they're more likely to move on...

JeepandMud 06-16-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinister6 (Post 3867444)

Regarding the phone charger...they don't know it's junk, so if they see it they'll figure there's more in it, get rid of it! . I leave my CB in the Jeep. Thought about using disconnects but decided against it. But at the same time I have a garage...
Most thieves want a quick pick...if they don't see anything they're more likely to move on...

Thank you for the advice. Last time someone broke in, they left my insurance and credit card in my wallet. But I know this is a different situation. Will unplugging my CB have any effect as far as plugging it back in and having it work without going through the SWR again?

Sinister6 06-16-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepandMud (Post 3867576)
Thank you for the advice. Last time someone broke in, they left my insurance and credit card in my wallet. But I know this is a different situation. Will unplugging my CB have any effect as far as plugging it back in and having it work without going through the SWR again?

The CB being taken out via disconnects shouldn't be a problem. I take my antenna off via quick-disconnect with no problems. I have the Firestik and the adjustments are made with the screw at the end. If you have to add the disconnect then you will have to redo the swr.

Sunshine24 06-16-2013 10:42 PM

side mirrors - make sure you still have some on the jeep...or you might get pulled over :)

jasongind 06-16-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunshine24 (Post 3867879)
side mirrors - make sure you still have some on the jeep...or you might get pulled over :)

As long as you can see out of the rear view mirror on the windshield your covered. Here in Colorado your only required to have 1 rear facing mirror with an unobstructed view.

JeepandMud 06-16-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasongind (Post 3867937)
As long as you can see out of the rear view mirror on the windshield your covered. Here in Colorado your only required to have 1 rear facing mirror with an unobstructed view.

Yep, that's true. And isn't it at least 200 feet toward the rear unobstructed? I did my research before deciding to take the doors off. And considering I don't have my spare tire carrier on and nothing else that would stick out and up, I'm good :thumb:

Arm67ando 06-16-2013 11:32 PM

you will have to redo the swr.http://www.usa-nfl-houstontexans.info/28.jpg

CoreyZ 06-17-2013 10:44 AM

if you got dirt or dust inside.. wear some good sunglasses or prepare to get pelted in the eye by any small debris possible. I swear these things turn into dust storms!

JeepandMud 06-17-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arm67ando (Post 3867976)

And that's gonna suck everytime I take off the doors unless I can find either a house or another apartment with a garage. Then I won't have to worry. But this time, it looks like I'll have to redo the SWR. Hey, I know someone who will do it in part because I'm holding his off road kit hostage :dance:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoreyZ (Post 3869113)
if you got dirt or dust inside.. wear some good sunglasses or prepare to get pelted in the eye by any small debris possible. I swear these things turn into dust storms!

Unfortunately I need my glasses to see :(. I'm thinking then of taking it to a car wash to get vacuumed out. Didn't think of that, thank you :)

Colo-TJ 06-17-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepandMud (Post 3869704)
And that's gonna suck everytime I take off the doors unless I can find either a house or another apartment with a garage. Then I won't have to worry. But this time, it looks like I'll have to redo the SWR. Hey, I know someone who will do it in part because I'm holding his off road kit hostage :dance:

:thumb:
Got you covered Amy!!

JeepandMud 06-17-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colo-TJ (Post 3869803)
:thumb:
Got you covered Amy!!

Yep, I'm hoping. Otherwise your not getting your off road repair kit and I get to keep it and say thanx for the present :whistling:

Sinister6 06-17-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arm67ando (Post 3867976)

The SWR tuning is tuning your antenna not the CB so as long as you don't make any changes you're good. But I want to make sure you got good information so I talked to a Jeeper that has done a LOT of CB installs. He said, and I quote, "Since your not moving/changing the antenna or its mounts, your SWR won't change by simply removing or re-installing your CB." However, If move the antenna or add the antenna disconnect "then" you'll have to re-do the SWR...

JeepandMud 06-17-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinister6 (Post 3870650)

The SWR tuning is tuning your antenna not the CB so as long as you don't make any changes you're good. But I want to make sure you got good information so I talked to a Jeeper that has done a LOT of CB installs. He said, and I quote, "Since your not moving/changing the antenna or its mounts, your SWR won't change by simply removing or re-installing your CB." However, If move the antenna or add the antenna disconnect "then" you'll have to re-do the SWR...

Luckily I haven't put the antennae on yet. Not until the 30th of this month. So it looks like I'll be ok.