Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Rust on plasti-dipped wheels (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/rust-on-plasti-dipped-wheels-249835.html)

joeg679 06-16-2013 10:51 PM

Rust on plasti-dipped wheels

1 Attachment(s)
I recently re-dipped my wheels (2 weeks ago) after initially dipping them in the beginning of April when I got the Jeep. The reason why I re-dipped them was because as I was washing the Jeep and hosing off the rear driver's side wheel, I noticed that the dip on the center cap wasn't adhered anymore. I re-dipped everything and they all came out better because I was more experienced. However, the other day I noticed that there was rust marks on the same wheel, coming from the center cap. I washed the whole thing and noticed the same marks. I'm wondering what could be rusting and if there is a problem with the center cap or something. Any thoughts?

TOK 06-17-2013 05:33 AM

We were working on my buddies 2012 and when we pulled the drivers side front we found the hub area (behind center cap in your pic) was pretty filled up with water.

It was the only one and really no explanation for it. We dried it out real good and he's going to pull the wheel again in a couple weeks to see if it took water again. Looks like maybe you have the same scenario going on.

ky77 06-17-2013 06:56 AM

Come to think of it have the same problem kinda of. Passenger rear wheel is getting rust everywhere. Had wheel off and used hose on brake area and the rust water just was pouring out. Kinda like if you have rode your brakes too much and was grinding rotor and leaves that rust dust on your wheel if you ever saw that. Problem is brake pads and rotor besides rust look fine. Going to replace brake components there and see if problem is fixed. My hub was rusted good too so will look into seeing if water trapped somehow also

BXCc 06-17-2013 08:06 AM

I could be wrong but that looks too light to be rust. It could be dirt and road dust getting washed out.

joeg679 06-17-2013 10:30 AM

I haven't brought the car off road, so I don't think it's dirt. I think there has to be water getting trapped there somehow which is why the plasti dip was bubbling off on the center cap.

Plasticpirogue 06-17-2013 10:53 AM

Interesting that you brought this up; I rotated my shoes this weekend and noticed that ONLY on the front left was the hub rusted. I have 15K on my 2013 bought back last August, and just the center of the hub (hub centric ring) had considerably more "surface" rust than I would expect to see on a ductile iron component (none of the other hubs were affected). I cleaned it off with a little "kerosene in a can", and plopped the wheel back in place, but rest assured I will keep an eye on it.

joeg679 06-17-2013 12:06 PM

I may try to take off my center cap later or this weekend when I have time. But, anyone who is having this problem, please keep us in the loop. Thanks!