Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   No Start... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/no-start-249839.html)

Neal5280 06-16-2013 10:04 PM

No Start...

So I got in this morning and turn the key and just get a single click...

So I test the battery and am seeing 13.7v so I don't believe it to be the battery.

I was able to push start it and drove for approx 45 min turn off and try to restart and click... Push start and drive home and throw the cover on to avoid the rain. Test battery and still get 13.7v...

Would the next logical thing to check be the starter? It looks like it's pretty easy to get to, I could take it into Auto Zone or O'Riellys to be checked...

Let me know if I'm on the right track.

clarkkent 06-16-2013 10:08 PM

I would start with the battery terminals and ground wire and move out from there to the solenoid I think? It sounds like the starter is not getting power otherwise it would try to turn over the engine.

And I swear if your post takes away responses from my thread about not starting I will have to kill you haha :P

Neal5280 06-17-2013 03:19 PM

Bump

Big Sarge 06-17-2013 03:27 PM

Actually disconnect your battery cables and clean both the battery posts as well as the cable ends very good usin a terminal cleaner tool or sand paper, wire brush to get them good and clean then re connect. If the problem remains let us know!

sevenservices 06-17-2013 03:28 PM

Yup. Start with your battery terminal connections. If those are good, trace the + wire down to the starter. I've seen 'em come loose on that end as well. If you've checked the connections be undoing them, cleaning them and putting back together on both side of the + cables and it still just clicks, then have the starter tested.

By hearing a click you know your ignition, battery and relays are good. 9 times out of 10 its just a bad connection either at the battery terminal, in the cable or at the other end.

Verf 06-17-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 3869989)
Actually disconnect your battery cables and clean both the battery posts as well as the cable ends very good usin a terminal cleaner tool or sand paper, wire brush to get them good and clean then re connect. If the problem remains let us know!

And while your doing it, buy the $5 batter terminal saver kit, most parts shops sell them. Comes with a spray can and a set of the red/green felt pads. Trust me when I say they work. Back in the day I had a '86 Mazda 626 that when you hit a jarring bump, would just die. This old dude in a parts store took a look, said I had a ton of corrosive build up under the clamps on the terminal (you could barely see anything). I rolled my eyes, but let the old-timer do his thing. He cleaned them, but the .99 cent pads on under them and BAM, never had another issue. Its the little things sometimes. lesson learned, old people know stuff. And now I'm one of them, lol

Reznor 06-17-2013 03:35 PM

If you're getting a click then the solenoid appears to be activating. This leads me to believe the starting systems are ok. (Fuses, relays, solenoid, etc)

My guess is that the bendix gear is stuck inside the starter. This would be due to either menchanical failure in the starter itself, or due to a lack of power. You say you see the battery at proper voltage, but you don't know how many amps it's pushing those volts with. If the battery is really weak, then it might not have the kick required to get those 13.7 volts into the starter. I would try a jump to see if that makes a difference. If not, then you can rule out the battery 100%. As suggested, I'd also check all the connections, etc.

You did not mention hearing the starter motor when turning the car over, so I'm not sure if it could be mechanically stuck. You can try tapping it with a hammer to release the gear if you think this might be the case, but any time I've seen this being a problem you can hear the starter.

Edit: Wow - lots of responses while I was entering this. As such, some of my post will be repeat info.

Neal5280 06-17-2013 03:43 PM

Awesome everyone thanks for the replies. I'll do this after work in the morning and report back.

I appreciate all the help!

Maestro 06-17-2013 05:58 PM

I have this same exact problem with the same exact symptoms. I actually took it apart today again. It seems like a loose connection because sometimes it works and sometimes I'm screwed but when I fiddle with it, it works eventually. I took it apart and tested the power on the starter by jumping a positive wire directly to one of the three connection points, it works just fine. I haven't fixed it yet but my guess is a connection issue. Double check those hard to get wires that go to it

Neal5280 06-17-2013 10:34 PM

It looks to be the connection at the starter I ran out of time before work tonight but I'll correct that in the morning and give (HOPEFULLY) an update that it is corrected!

Thanks for all the input I appreciate it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenservices (Post 3869993)
Yup. Start with your battery terminal connections. If those are good, trace the + wire down to the starter. I've seen 'em come loose on that end as well. If you've checked the connections be undoing them, cleaning them and putting back together on both side of the + cables and it still just clicks, then have the starter tested.

By hearing a click you know your ignition, battery and relays are good. 9 times out of 10 its just a bad connection either at the battery terminal, in the cable or at the other end.