Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Any rock climbers out there? The kind using your body... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/any-rock-climbers-out-there-the-kind-using-your-body-249847.html)

TreyJK 06-17-2013 12:10 AM

Any rock climbers out there? The kind using your body...
 
Anyone do rock or gym climbing with their hands and feet instead of jeeps?

whetstone 06-17-2013 07:37 AM

Yep :)
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...5/fa3ce68f.jpg

whetstone 06-17-2013 07:47 AM

Here's my 11 yr old (10 at the time) on a short 5.8
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...9B70E68551.jpg

TreyJK 06-17-2013 09:57 AM

That's awesome! Whereabouts do you all climb?

whetstone 06-17-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TreyJK (Post 3868810)
That's awesome! Whereabouts do you all climb?

For fun sport climbing, Horseshoe Canyon Ranch in Jasper, AR is hard to beat. I like to take the family and set a couple of top ropes for them. There is a route for everyone there, and very few 'climbing snobs.' I'll never climb .14's, I'm too big and too old to put the effort in to get that good. We climb to get outdoors and spend time together doing something we enjoy.

Jeep_Gypsy 06-17-2013 04:44 PM

I climb about every other weekend when I can took a fall about a month ago and crash landed on my skull and shoulder. Haven't been able to climb yet.

whetstone 06-17-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep_Gypsy (Post 3870044)
I climb about every other weekend when I can took a fall about a month ago and crash landed on my skull and shoulder. Haven't been able to climb yet.

Heal up soon! Where do you climb?

TreyJK 06-17-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep_Gypsy (Post 3870044)
I climb about every other weekend when I can took a fall about a month ago and crash landed on my skull and shoulder. Haven't been able to climb yet.

Yeah heal up and take it easy! That sounds brutal. I'm from Inola, OK where the wind comes sweeping down the plains! But that place in Arkansas sounds great!

whetstone 06-17-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TreyJK (Post 3871036)
Yeah heal up and take it easy! That sounds brutal. I'm from Inola, OK where the wind comes sweeping down the plains! But that place in Arkansas sounds great!

What kind of experience do you have? If you can lead a sport route, even if its only a 5.6, that's the place to go. There are probably 100 or more pre-bolted routes there, ranging from stuff my little girl can climb all the way up to routes that challenge the best climbers. The first time you go, take an extra $45 and buy the guide book. It gives you details on every route: difficulty, number of bolts, first ascent, and a good description. They charge $5/person to climb, with camping on-site.

TreyJK 06-18-2013 08:05 AM

I mostly do gym climbing since it's most convenient but I can handle most up to 5.10's. Although I tore some tendons in my ankle in march so I don't know if I'm still at that level. Does the place have a website?

Jeep_Gypsy 06-18-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whetstone (Post 3870450)

Heal up soon! Where do you climb?

Missouri, southern Illinois. Anywhere I can find and make it to.

whetstone 06-18-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TreyJK (Post 3872312)
I mostly do gym climbing since it's most convenient but I can handle most up to 5.10's. Although I tore some tendons in my ankle in march so I don't know if I'm still at that level. Does the place have a website?

Google horseshoe canyon ranch, Jasper AR. Their website just barely mentions the rock climbing. You'll find out more by reading the articles on various climbing sites about them.

Garyk 06-18-2013 06:48 PM

I really don't do rock climbing, but I'm one of the team that comes to get you when you hang up or cliff out:whistling:

Jeep_Gypsy 06-18-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garyk (Post 3874414)
I really don't do rock climbing, but I'm one of the team that comes to get you when you hang up or cliff out:whistling:

Hey thanks I've helped y'alls out a time or two and got helped by y'alls a little while back.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 PM.