Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   New jeep?!?! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/new-jeep-249852.html)

Wade88 06-17-2013 12:47 AM

New jeep?!?!

I have been looking for a good jeep. Not too many crazy mods. Maybe just a lift and decent wheels. Prefer lower miles. 100xxx between 98-01 for around $4500 to $5000. Am I just crazy for wanting one in this price range. Maybe I am. I'm a newb. Someone help me. Am I chasing an in reachable goal. Should I lower my standards?!?
Jeep guy from Arkansas

RevCo666 06-17-2013 01:06 AM

To be honest I doubt you'll get a jeep in that price range/condition/millage unfortunately. I paid 6.5K(private sale) for my 2001 TJ, mind you I have no lifts(nor did I want any), no mods, new 31's which were added a week before purchasing and both tops. It had about 100K miles or 184K KM for us Canadians. I wanted a stock jeep in good mechanical and cosmetically sound shape. Traveled 6 hours outside my area to get it... Good luck in your search!

Wade88 06-17-2013 08:54 AM

So maybe I'll shoot for $6000 to $8000 range. Thanks for the advice

SurfKaster 06-17-2013 09:02 AM

6-8k is more realistic, even higher with it being summer. 5K is usually YJ territory. That being said deals are there, but you'd have to be willing to wait.

biggus35 06-17-2013 09:14 AM

It took me 3+ months to find a deal on my 2002 TJ. It has 163K miles on it but is in decent shape. I paid $4,500 and have put a little over $1200 more into it since purchase (repairs, new top, bedrug). It is not lifted (yet) but did have new tires on it when I bought it.

From watching the market for 3+ months I suspect you will have to pay $7500+ for a TJ with a decent lift kit, bigger tires, and average miles.

jickey 06-17-2013 09:33 AM

I searched and searched and searched and searched (getting the idea here?) before I found mine. Here in my area (Central Alabama, even though I searched the entire southeastern US) I found that one number was constant - $8999. That seemed to be the asking price for everything from 1995 up to around 2002-ish. Not heavily modded, but some lifts and tires. I had very specific requirements (black, 4.0L, manual, soft top, full doors, no mods) and lucked up on my 2000 Sahara - guy was advertising at $7500 on CL. I caught it quickly and jumped on it (and he ended up taking $6500.) He was in an unusual situation of having to get rid of it, so I think I got it for a steal. I personally think you need to increase your budget to get what you're looking for - to get one in your price range might take a lot of diligent searching and a rather long wait.

Wade88 06-17-2013 08:08 PM

I found a 2001 with 90xxx miles. Owned by a 71 y/o retired military guy. Been garage kept since he got it new. Seats had seat covers on since day one. It even had the plastic wrap on braces for roll cage. And he claims that the soft top had never even been removed. It looked amazing! And.... I looked at it at night. It sold before I could get to bank the next day! I know deals are there just hard to find. I think I'll keep looking but raise my budget a little. There is just so much junk out there for sale. Any tips for a jeep rookie on what I need to be aware of when looking at used jeeps?

Wade88 06-17-2013 08:12 PM

Oh the guy only wanted $6500 but would take 6 for it.

A Jeep Named Jack 06-17-2013 08:27 PM

I truly wish you good luck! If you come upon one you better jump on it and be the first one with cash there! I picked my 01 for $11500 with 73k miles... Which in my area was a decent deal!

RevCo666 06-17-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Jeep Named Jack (Post 3870717)
I truly wish you good luck! If you come upon one you better jump on it and be the first one with cash there! I picked my 01 for $11500 with 73k miles... Which in my area was a decent deal!

When did you pick up your jeep? Recently or a while back?

trojaneuph 06-17-2013 09:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I got mine for 2500. One of my coworkers had it sitting in his yard 130000k on the dash. Now I am in the process of putting a new engine in it and have invested almost what I paid for it. But like many others it had no mods just worn out tires am bad pistons. This is one of the pistons it broke as soon as my mechanic took it out. And a picture of my completely redone engine.

dirtdigger 06-17-2013 09:09 PM

Check inside the frame for frame rot its most present in front of the rear tires while your down looking at that check the whole undercarriage make sure you don't see a lot of rust there then test drive check 4 wheel drive low and hi if it has a Dana 35 pull the plug on the rear diff and check the gear oil status if allowed take it home and check all fluids to make sure it's been properly maintained and look for tell tell signs of someone spray painting under the rig to hide bad spots normally if they have done this there sloppy and you can see over spray also check under the carpet to make sure the front floor pans aren't Swiss cheese good luck be picky don't settle patience is a virtue.

A Jeep Named Jack 06-17-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevCo666 (Post 3870748)
When did you pick up your jeep? Recently or a while back?

Recently, yes I know it is above the book value, however, jeeps are demanding that sort of price tag in my area! It was driven around a college campus by a professor and it is perfect for me... It has a 3 inch lift, 33in Nitto Mud Grapplers and some wheels, a tuffy center console, upgraded radio, running boards, and a few other things.:rolleyes:

Bravo.Justin 06-17-2013 09:12 PM

I messed up a few years back and pretty much gave my 01 sport away for $7800. It had 90k. Hardtop 5 speed and Bone stock.They literally turned around and sold it a week later for 12k. Had to learn that lesson the hard way, but I only paid $8300 for it and drove it a year. I searched for 6 months before I found it on eBay. Luckily it was an auction only with no reserve.

Wade88 06-17-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtdigger (Post 3870950)
Check inside the frame for frame rot its most present in front of the rear tires while your down looking at that check the whole undercarriage make sure you don't see a lot of rust there then test drive check 4 wheel drive low and hi if it has a Dana 35 pull the plug on the rear diff and check the gear oil status if allowed take it home and check all fluids to make sure it's been properly maintained and look for tell tell signs of someone spray painting under the rig to hide bad spots normally if they have done this there sloppy and you can see over spray also check under the carpet to make sure the front floor pans aren't Swiss cheese good luck be picky don't settle patience is a virtue.

Thanks for the great advice!

Plowboy1970 06-17-2013 09:52 PM

I am trying to sell a 97 se and I am having a hard time getting $4500 It has 118k on it half doors soft top. Stock. Stick. Clean frame. I have people offering 3k for it and I keep telling them no. Why is prices high when I want to buy, but can't get anything when I want to sell. LOL. Good luck buying.

Wade88 06-17-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plowboy1970 (Post 3871124)
I am trying to sell a 97 se and I am having a hard time getting $4500 It has 118k on it half doors soft top. Stock. Stick. Clean frame. I have people offering 3k for it and I keep telling them no. Why is prices high when I want to buy, but can't get anything when I want to sell. LOL. Good luck buying.

You have any pics?

tallzdatank 06-17-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plowboy1970 (Post 3871124)

last year I got my 97 se with a 2.5" lift and 32s, half doors soft top, I paid 6500 and that was a DEAL for a jeep around here. you need to find a new place to sell.

Plowboy1970 06-17-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wade88 (Post 3871139)
You have any pics?

1997 Jeep Wrangler

New oxygen sensor, TPS, steering box, steering box lines, aluminum rims. Tires are 30%, new owner can put what they want on. Top is original. Getting bad but like the tires, the new owner can put what they want on. Runs and drives 65 just fine. I am taking it to Carmax tomorrow to see what they will give. I am between Milwaukee and Chicago and everyone has offered 3000-4200 and I have turned them down. A dealer even offered 4000 and I said no. Everything in my area is 6K+ One on CL was a 97 SE with 187K miles for $4500 and was sold. Horn, radio and wipers did not work. And he sold it.....Oh well.

Joshua27 06-18-2013 06:44 AM

I just paid 6k for a 97 TJ with 160k miles. I-4 and 5 speed. New set of 32" BFG AT tires and aftermarket steel wheels. It also has a rubicon express lift. Was that a good deal?

Wade88 06-18-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plowboy1970 (Post 3871414)

1997 Jeep Wrangler

New oxygen sensor, TPS, steering box, steering box lines, aluminum rims. Tires are 30%, new owner can put what they want on. Top is original. Getting bad but like the tires, the new owner can put what they want on. Runs and drives 65 just fine. I am taking it to Carmax tomorrow to see what they will give. I am between Milwaukee and Chicago and everyone has offered 3000-4200 and I have turned them down. A dealer even offered 4000 and I said no. Everything in my area is 6K+ One on CL was a 97 SE with 187K miles for $4500 and was sold. Horn, radio and wipers did not work. And he sold it.....Oh well.

I live in The Northeast Corner of Arkansas. About 45 min from Memphis TN. I wish you were closer I would love to check out the Jeep! I'm sure you will find a buyer that sounds like a great asking price!

biggus35 06-18-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plowboy1970 (Post 3871414)
1997 Jeep Wrangler

You need to jazz up your ad a bit. Connect with people reading your ad. Make it personal. Maybe tell a story about how you came to own the Jeep and why you are selling it. Maybe you could browse other ads and find one that you like and copy their format.

You should also include more info if you want to get people's interest:

1. Year, Make, Model, Sub-model?
2. Engine Size and Number of Cylinders?
3. Transmission Type (Automatic or Manual)?
4. Mileage?
5. Options (leather seats/heated seats/Air Conditioner/upgraded sound system/Power Windows/etc)
6. Do all gauges and electronics work as they should?
7. Any accidents or bodywork/paintwork?
8. Has the car been smoked in?
9. Clean & Clear Title (no salvage/rebuilt/flood history)? Do you have the title in hand?
10. How long have you owned it? Where/From Whom did you buy the car?
11. Are you the original owner, 2nd owner, 3rd owner, etc?
12. Modifications/Add-ons/after-market parts?
13. Do you have service records? Was vehicle serviced at the Dealership?
14. When was the last service performed?
15. How did you come up with your asking price (Edmunds.com, kbb.com, nada.com, blackbook.com etc)
16. Why are you selling it?

Weave the information above into a narrative about your Jeep and I'll bet you can sell it for $5000 in less than a week.

Good Luck!

P.S. Address the negatives right up front. Like the 4-cyl engine. Don't just say it's got a 4-cyl engine, say its got the gas-sipping, dependable 4 cyl engine that has never let you down.

If you don't have service records say something like...I've personally maintained the vehicle while I've owned it and would drive it anywhere!

biggus35 06-18-2013 10:08 AM

And one more thing...get some sandpaper and some flat black paint and take care of the rust on the front bumper. My first thought when I saw that picture was that the whole underside of the vehicle is covered in rust. Rust is a big turn-off for someone looking to spend $5000 of their hard earned money.

biggus35 06-18-2013 10:14 AM

You could also take a few new pics now that Summer is here and there are leaves on the trees. I would take pics with the top off, and maybe a pretty girl or a big dog sitting in it.

Plowboy1970 06-18-2013 10:25 AM

I had a big whole write up months ago. Got a few hits thats it. Left out much now I get a few questions. Hurts when I tell the truth. Owned it for 5 months. Girl sold it to me needing work. I have done work on it to get it running good. Now to sell it. I thought of painting it up. But I don't want them to think I am coving up anything. I have a 97 sport I paint up every year to keep it looking nice. Oh well. Will see what Carmax offers today. Maybe then I will clean up the frame and paint it.

Plowboy1970 06-18-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wade88 (Post 3872381)
I live in The Northeast Corner of Arkansas. About 45 min from Memphis TN. I wish you were closer I would love to check out the Jeep! I'm sure you will find a buyer that sounds like a great asking price!

Got a friend from here that lives in Blytheville. He likes it down there.

biggus35 06-18-2013 10:35 AM

CarMax does not want your Jeep. They will lowball you and wholesale it off to someone else. Your Jeep will end up on a used car lot on the side of the road with a bright yellow $5995 sticker on it. CarMax is looking for late model, low mileage cars. You will do better stopping by a couple of roadside used car lots and asking what they will give you for it.

Plowboy1970 06-18-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus35 (Post 3872708)
CarMax does not want your Jeep. They will lowball you and wholesale it off to someone else. Your Jeep will end up on a used car lot on the side of the road with a bright yellow $5995 sticker on it. CarMax is looking for late model, low mileage cars. You will do better stopping by a couple of roadside used car lots and asking what they will give you for it.

Had one roadside offer 4k. KBB low is 4300, high is 5000 Everything here is 6k+ Are the selling for that?

biggus35 06-18-2013 11:06 AM

Dealers use KBB when it helps to sell a car. Most would never use it to buy a car. They will use auction sheets, black book, nada, and common sense. On older cars they will use Average Book and deduct for reconditioning expenses. On high mileage older cars they will use rough book and subtract reconditioning costs. On the positive side of things - older jeeps are much more desirable than other cars so they will factor that into any offer they make you.

So they are most likely going to offer you Average book, minus the cost of new tires, minus any necessary repairs, and minus any other expenses they are going to incur in order to get the car ready for sale.

Plowboy1970 06-18-2013 11:26 AM

KBB trade in is 3500 Would no even consider that. Will see how bad they offer. LOL