Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off Road and External Lighting (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f132/)
-   -   Question for those running Cibie H4 headlamps & Osram 70/65w bulbs (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f132/question-for-those-running-cibie-h4-headlamps-and-osram-70-65w-bulbs-249854.html)

03Ruth 06-16-2013 11:48 PM

Question for those running Cibie H4 headlamps & Osram 70/65w bulbs
 
I have been looking at a ton of different options to replace my Hella vision plus lights. I would like to go led but the cost just isn't in my budget. After reading a ton of reviews I kept seeing Daniel Stern lighting being recommended. Well, I have emailed him back and forth and for my needs he recommends the Cibie H4 headlamps & Osram 70/65w bulbs. He sells an optional relay kit for the added power draw of the lights but says the stock wiring is safe for the bulbs. He says the bulbs will burn brighter & whiter with the relay kit but they will last considerably shorter, that's the trade off. I was curious to those running these bulbs what the average life span is. The bulbs are about $21 a piece and I don't want to have to replace them all the time. I'm not looking into hid after talking to him about them and am set on my choice but just looking for some real life experience. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

EricsRubi 06-17-2013 09:57 PM

I got my kit from here and run stock wiring harness. I may upgrade the harness down the road but these things are hella bright over the crappy sealed beams with just 80w bulbs and stock wiring. Hella e-codes

http://www.rallylights.com/h6024-7-r...dlamp-kit.html

Cdwright 06-17-2013 10:02 PM

Harness is nice in case you wanted to go higher watts.

I have had mine for a month and they are great.

Rubi513 06-17-2013 10:40 PM

I went with the cibies and the 90/100 watt lamps. I have had them for over a year now. I built my own harness, but I am a electrical estimator so I can get the parts cheap. For what Daniel provides with his kit it's not a bad price. I would go with the kit because you may want to upgrade to higher wattage lamps. By getting the kit you are providing the correct voltage at the lamp for which it was designed for. The only way the lamps would last longer with the stock wiring is because they would be getting less voltage which would give you less wattage. The whole idea is to upgrade. Don't stop halfway. I have heard of people getting better performance from their stock lamps by buying just the harness and relays.

EricsRubi 06-17-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubi513 (Post 3871498)
I went with the cibies and the 90/100 watt lamps. I have had them for over a year now. I built my own harness, but I am a electrical estimator so I can get the parts cheap. For what Daniel provides with his kit it's not a bad price. I would go with the kit because you may want to upgrade to higher wattage lamps. By getting the kit you are providing the correct voltage at the lamp for which it was designed for. The only way the lamps would last longer with the stock wiring is because they would be getting less voltage which would give you less wattage. The whole idea is to upgrade. Don't stop halfway. I have heard of people getting better performance from their stock lamps by buying just the harness and relays.

That is true. I just haven't settled on the right harness I want and know it is pricey!

IcarusLSC 06-17-2013 10:55 PM

The stuff from DS is great, though a bit pricey. I got the Cibies and a relay kit from him. I wired it up with 10g wire and put the relays in the stock fuse panel box in the end two spots which were empty.
I am only running the Narva Range Power 50 - 60/55W bulbs though as I was worried about the longevity of the bulbs as well. Once these burn out I'll try something brighter/whiter ;)

Rubi513 06-17-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricsRubi (Post 3871518)
That is true. I just haven't settled on the right harness I want and know it is pricey!

Build it yourself. It's very easy and you will save some money.

Rubi513 06-17-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IcarusLSC (Post 3871571)
The stuff from DS is great, though a bit pricey. I got the Cibies and a relay kit from him. I wired it up with 10g wire and put the relays in the stock fuse panel box in the end two spots which were empty.
I am only running the Narva Range Power 50 - 60/55W bulbs though as I was worried about the longevity of the bulbs as well. Once these burn out I'll try something brighter/whiter ;)

The 90/100 are nice. It's not my daily driver so I wasn't worried too much about the longevity. The high beams are unbelievable.

EricsRubi 06-17-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubi513 (Post 3871583)

Build it yourself. It's very easy and you will save some money.

I wouldn't even know where to start. Are you able to pm me a quick write up or is that too much a hassle?

03Ruth 06-18-2013 07:42 AM

Thanks for the replies. Looks like its time to place an order. I'll go ahead and get the relay kit while I'm at it. If the bulbs go out early its just means its time to try some different ones!

Cdwright 06-18-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03Ruth (Post 3872392)
Thanks for the replies. Looks like its time to place an order. I'll go ahead and get the relay kit while I'm at it. If the bulbs go out early its just means its time to try some different ones!

Susquehanna(rally) has nice stuff. They include hella housings in their kit as opposed to the cibies Daniel Stern has. I went with DS after using him in the past on other vehicles.

If I remember correctly, the hellas seem brighter and do not distribute the light in as wide of a pattern as the cibies.

By all means make sure you adjust them correctly to get the maximum vision for you as well as not blind other drivers.

Good luck. :)

Rubi513 06-18-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricsRubi (Post 3871778)
I wouldn't even know where to start. Are you able to pm me a quick write up or is that too much a hassle?


pm sent

03Ruth 06-18-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cdwright (Post 3873119)

Susquehanna(rally) has nice stuff. They include hella housings in their kit as opposed to the cibies Daniel Stern has. I went with DS after using him in the past on other vehicles.

If I remember correctly, the hellas seem brighter and do not distribute the light in as wide of a pattern as the cibies.

By all means make sure you adjust them correctly to get the maximum vision for you as well as not blind other drivers.

Good luck. :)

I had looked into the hella housings as well but Daniel said the Cibies distributed the light much better. I am currently running the dot approved hella housings now and although they are better than stock they are still lacking.

Cdwright 06-18-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03Ruth (Post 3874188)

I had looked into the hella housings as well but Daniel said the Cibies distributed the light much better. I am currently running the dot approved hella housings now and although they are better than stock they are still lacking.

Sounds like you need some cibies. :)

I am running Osram 65/75 in mine. DS did tell me they have a shorter life than standard bulbs. I bought a spare set so I can change them when they burn out.
I heard Narva 80/100 have a bit longer lifespan. DS told me as watts go up filaments get longer and it becomes harder to adjust them so the light is usable and does not blind people.
It is also not worth running the risk of citations.

Let us know what you do.

irongate 07-17-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubi513 (Post 3871498)
I went with the cibies and the 90/100 watt lamps. I have had them for over a year now. I built my own harness, but I am a electrical estimator so I can get the parts cheap. For what Daniel provides with his kit it's not a bad price. I would go with the kit because you may want to upgrade to higher wattage lamps. By getting the kit you are providing the correct voltage at the lamp for which it was designed for. The only way the lamps would last longer with the stock wiring is because they would be getting less voltage which would give you less wattage. The whole idea is to upgrade. Don't stop halfway. I have heard of people getting better performance from their stock lamps by buying just the harness and relays.

Did the same set-up and works great for me here!:thumb:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 AM.