Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Check engine light during smog?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/check-engine-light-during-smog-249898.html)

AngelJK 06-17-2013 09:12 AM

Check engine light during smog??

Got a smog test done yesterday and while the gentleman was doing his thing on the computer, I noticed that the CE light came on. I didn't say anything out of fear of failing but what the heck?!

It turned off later that day, and came back On when I pumped gas.

Then it turned off and came back on the next day when I had to used 4low.

What do you guys/girls think?

AngelJK 06-17-2013 01:32 PM

Bump?

2five22 06-17-2013 01:56 PM

It could be and is likely something simple like the gas cap not sealing correctly. Around here, they love to jiggle the cap to see if they can induce a fail.

Find someone with an OBD2 scanner and find out what the fault code is. Anything else is a guess.

AngelJK 06-18-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2five22 (Post 3869715)
It could be and is likely something simple like the gas cap not sealing correctly. Around here, they love to jiggle the cap to see if they can induce a fail.

Find someone with an OBD2 scanner and find out what the fault code is. Anything else is a guess.

Who is they?

AngelJK 06-18-2013 11:58 PM

Here are the codes. The lady said to be interested about the "possibilities" and didn't pay too much attention to the "definition." Done at auto zone though.. Is that the OBD 2?

AngelJK 06-19-2013 12:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The codes

AngelJK 06-19-2013 12:34 AM

Anything would help guys, kind of lost as a first time jeep owner. Thank you.

Rallyman 06-19-2013 12:48 AM

I would start by replacing the o2 sensor first. After that clear the codes and then drive about 50 miles on the highways to let ECM run another test and see if your dummy light comes back on. You just need to pinpoint which o2 it is.

Lusus_Naturae 06-19-2013 02:30 AM

Give us some Jeep info - year?

Have you replaced the gas cap with a locking one?

Has there been any recent work done on the Jeep - like a tune up before the test?

Have you switched gas - different brand, E10?

AngelJK 06-19-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rallyman (Post 3876072)
I would start by replacing the o2 sensor first. After that clear the codes and then drive about 50 miles on the highways to let ECM run another test and see if your dummy light comes back on. You just need to pinpoint which o2 it is.

Thanks man, i will assess in that matter for starters!

AngelJK 06-19-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lusus_Naturae (Post 3876279)
Give us some Jeep info - year?

Have you replaced the gas cap with a locking one?

Has there been any recent work done on the Jeep - like a tune up before the test?

Have you switched gas - different brand, E10?

You're right, my apologies.

2011 Jeep Wrangler 2 door (40xxx miles)
Never replaced anything
No tune-ups (just purchased it a week ago)
I have not switched gas. That would actually play a factor?

insylem 06-19-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelJK (Post 3877304)
You're right, my apologies.

2011 Jeep Wrangler 2 door (40xxx miles)
Never replaced anything
No tune-ups (just purchased it a week ago)
I have not switched gas. That would actually play a factor?

I purchased a used vehical once and had the engine light come on a few days later. The vehica;s previous owner had modified the engine for more performance, and had the engine computer reprogramed. However, when the dealership got the vehcial they reflashed the engine calibraton back to factory, causeing the engine to not run correctly. In my case it threw P0172 System Too Rich. So it may not be from something YOU did, but possibly something the previous owner did. In my case there was a sticker on the engine computer that told me what company had originally reporogramed it, and was able to contact them for reprograming. Alls good now. :punk:

SoCal 06-19-2013 01:52 PM

What were the readings from your smog inspection. It can show if there is an exhaust leak or if its running rich or lean