Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   4 cylinder vs 6 cylinders. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/4-cylinder-vs-6-cylinders-249899.html)

RandomYJguy 06-17-2013 09:13 AM

4 cylinder vs 6 cylinders.

Hey there guys, right now I have 1989 wrangler 5 spd 4 cyl. My buddy is always telling me to sell the 4 banger and go with the 4.0 (or 4.2) "There is no replacement for displacement" Is that true?

I know the 4 banger has 4.10 gears stock, where in the 6 cyl you have anything from 3.07 to 3.73 gears. Does having those 4.10 gears justify losing the extra power? My jeep is mainly a highway driver, with the occasional mud pit/trail ride.

Scott-CJ8 06-17-2013 10:06 AM

There is no replacement for raw horsepower! That wonderful feeling when you press the pedal and get pushed back in the seat... Wow!
That being said, it depends on what you want. The 4 cylinder will probably get better mileage as a daily driver and do ya just fine. The stock 4.10 gears really do make a difference, and add a lot on the trail.
I had V-8 in my Scrambler. Loved it. Had a 6 cylinder in my CJ-7. That was great too. My Wrangler has the 4 cylinder and I was thoroughly impressed as to how well it did on the trail, drive it everyday to work just great, and the mileage is around 23 mpg's. It's kinda peppy too. I'm not disappointed with it at all!

jokerchief462 06-17-2013 10:08 AM

Until you put big tires on it it's great and not much of a noticeable difference offroad. But once it is lifted and big tires you will see the difference. Me and my four banger get along great were both old and slow. I am regearing to 4:88s so we will see if I can still run with the club JKs on the highway after that.

If you have a choice at purchase or are not to attached to the four cylinder I would definitely go with the 6 cyl. I had no choice and no knowledge at the time but we have been together for many years now and I will probably be buried in the YJ.

Xpress 06-17-2013 10:34 AM

The 4 cylinder is fine for commuting, I could get mine up to 20mpg if I tried hard enough. The 6 cylinder will have more power and will motor the Jeep through hills easier, but you'll have to get used to about 15mpg.

mbannin 06-17-2013 11:17 AM

It is better to have power and not need it than it is to need power but not have it. I say go with the 4.0.

JDWranglerGuy 06-17-2013 04:30 PM

Header????

BORLA T-304 Stainless Steel Header any takers? Its the only TBI 4 banger header I can find but its pricey.

dmcg 06-17-2013 05:42 PM

I've owned both. I would never go back to another 4 banger. I loved my 2.5, but on the highways it sucked and got worse gas mileage than my current 4.0

RandomYJguy 06-17-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcg (Post 3870384)
I've owned both. I would never go back to another 4 banger. I loved my 2.5, but on the highways it sucked and got worse gas mileage than my current 4.0

I do most of my driving on the highway, I have just gotten use to the fact that I have to leave about 10 mins early for work :p

Off road purpose, 4 banger with 4.10 gears vs 4.2 with.. lets say 3.73?

Drix 06-17-2013 11:13 PM

The biggest reason I would get a 4.0 if I had to do it again is the ax-15 trans. offroad the gears will be more benificial. milage wise, if a motor has to use more fuel to move the vehicle because it dont have as much power your gonna get less MPG anyway. My 4 banger is horrible on fuel. you see guys with v-8 swaps getting into the 20s the engines just dont have to work hard to move the Jeep like the 4plopper does.

O_M_Jeep 06-17-2013 11:20 PM

I have the 2.5, 4.88s, 33"s. On the highway, yes, a little slow (it's a Jeep isn't it), on the trail I wouldn't trade it, I used to think all the time about swaps and more power, then I started to realize that when all the guys with V-8s and 4.2s and 4.0s were trying to climb slickrock, they just spin and spin and spin, too much horsepower I guess, or not enough throttle finesse, either way it's always a ton of fun to go putt-putt-putting right on past them and on up the climb.

If you want to go fast, buy a sports car, if you want to build a high HP mud truck, a Jeep is the worst place to start, if you want a crawler, then go for torque more than HP.

A friend once explained ""Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how many bricks go flying"".

Always makes me laugh when I see 'Jeep' and 'fuel mileage' in the same sentence, I wonder how many Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche and corvette guys whine incessantly about bad mileage.

Drix 06-17-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O_M_Jeep (Post 3871671)
I have the 2.5, 4.88s, 33"s. On the highway, yes, a little slow (it's a Jeep isn't it), on the trail I wouldn't trade it, I used to think all the time about swaps and more power, then I started to realize that when all the guys with V-8s and 4.2s and 4.0s were trying to climb slickrock, they just spin and spin and spin, too much horsepower I guess, or not enough throttle finesse, either way it's always a ton of fun to go putt-putt-putting right on past them and on up the climb.

If you want to go fast, buy a sports car, if you want to build a high HP mud truck, a Jeep is the worst place to start, if you want a crawler, then go for torque more than HP.

A friend once explained ""Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how many bricks go flying"".

Always makes me laugh when I see 'Jeep' and 'fuel mileage' in the same sentence, I wonder how many Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche and corvette guys whine incessantly about bad mileage.

you are spot on HP is decieving its not power really is a measure of how fast work is performed. but new vettes make mid to high 20s for MPG not bad for all the HP.

greenknight 06-17-2013 11:45 PM

eh the vettes only do bad with aggressive driving
that do mids 20s crusing on the freeway

O_M_Jeep 06-17-2013 11:54 PM

Still a Jeep is a toy, even when it's a daily driver, you would never have to qualify your Corsica or mini-van or Cobalt as a "DD", the first few months I had my Jeep I used to wonder about mileage, the wife said "it's a toy, who cares", took me a little while to realize daily driver or not, it's still a toy. Try daily driving an F-350 diesel and see if the Jeep mileage is so bad.

YJ fanatic 06-18-2013 12:00 AM

Hey, my F-350 with the 7.3l diesel gets 20mpg all day. I would love for my jeep to get that. :D

Drix 06-18-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJ fanatic (Post 3871797)
Hey, my F-350 with the 7.3l diesel gets 20mpg all day. I would love for my jeep to get that. :D

Same here on my 02 f350. And I had 350 HP at the wheels also.

Scott-CJ8 06-18-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O_M_Jeep (Post 3871671)
I used to think all the time about swaps and more power, then I started to realize that when all the guys with V-8s and 4.2s and 4.0s were trying to climb slickrock, they just spin and spin and spin, too much horsepower I guess, or not enough throttle finesse, either way it's always a ton of fun to go putt-putt-putting right on past them and on up the climb.

I wheeled once on a Jeep Jamboree with a guy who had a CJ-5, all rebuilt and pretty with a 360 V-8 and all-terrain 33's .... every time he 'punched' it to go up a hill, the Jeep broke loose and slid sideways. :facepalm: We pulled him thru everything because he had (I can't believe I'm saying it :redface: ) too much torque and no skinny pedal control. :nonono:
A 4-cylinder in good condition will do just fine on the trail and on the road. :) It's just a different style of driving.

StanF 06-18-2013 08:04 AM

I've got the 4cyl and agree that it has enough power on the trails. After a mild suspension lift, 1" body lift and 32" tires, it's not as good on the highway especially up hills or into the wind. I'm very mindful about adding weight to my Jeep, so I don't make the 2.5L work any harder. That's difficult to do, as bumpers, armor, hard tops, jerry cans, ice chests, etc, can be very heavy. At this point, my Jeep is about as light as you could make it. Running the AC also takes quite a bit of power out of the 2.5L. I'd definitely prefer the 4.0L, so I had a little more reserve HP.

I've NEVER heard anyone say they regretted getting the 4.0L and wanted the 2.5L.

I know of MANY people with the 2.5L who did engine swaps or wish they had the 4.0L.

wasomma 06-18-2013 10:21 AM

AX5 is an inferior transmission to the AX15, so much so that it almost justifies the 4.0 over the 2.5 by itself.

Get the 6 cylinder, I get about 19-20mpg when I am not wheeling, plus it's the legendary inline 6

dmcg 06-18-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanF (Post 3872455)
I'm very mindful about adding weight to my Jeep, so I don't make the 2.5L work any harder. That's difficult to do, as bumpers, armor, hard tops, jerry cans, ice chests, etc, can be very heavy. .

Exactly. I commute frequently from Dallas to Austin Texas for work and there were times with my 2.5 loaded with all my gear and a strong head wind on the highway, that I had to keep it in 3rd gear just to maintain 50 mph. The 2.5 made a 3hour drive into a 4.5 hour drive and I would have to refuel half way there. I never have to refuel on this trip with my current 4.0. The 4.0 engine and ax15 transmission are simply stronger and more efficient. I used to constantly defend the 2.5 engine on the TJ forum when I had it, but honestly I'll take my 4.0 YJ over my former 2.5 TJ any day, that includes the suspension as well :)

nwcalijeep 06-18-2013 01:14 PM

Biggest mistake Jeep/Chrysler ever made was to get rid of the inline 6 cylinder...

4.0 will actually tow something (if that is your thing), will last forever.. of course..I'd say go with a diesel. I sold my 2.5 cj5 so I could build another tdi Jeep...

So why settle for either or, when you can have it all..fuel mileage...torque... and horsepower.

RandomYJguy 06-18-2013 03:11 PM

I never really and intended for this conversation to become a "Fuel Mileage" post.. HAHA!

I was just wondering if I put the time and effort into lifting and spending money on the 4 banger, if I would end up regretting it because I didn't go with a 4.0. Fuel Mileage doesn't bother me. I put $20 in gas every time I fill up, I don't care if I get 10miles or 35 really. lol. So guys with the 4 banger actually do have fun with their jeeps. So I would be safe to say that putting money into this vehicle wouldn't be a "waste".

Surfinglbi23 06-18-2013 03:34 PM

This is a common topic. The first thing to remember is that a 6 cylinder wrangler is still slow. Really slow. That helped me a lot when buying my 4 banger. I've had fast cars and wranglers are not that. If it helps, I had a TJ Sahara 6 cylinder and now have a YJ 4 cylinder and did not care for one over the other. Get the one that fits your budget and style the best.

OverkillYJ 06-18-2013 03:39 PM

You can stick an AX15 into a 2.5 without any big problems. I did it to mine. Was some work, but now I beat the living crap out of it without worries. As far as the trails, I got 33's, am locked front and back, and my buddies cant keep up with thier 4.0's. When you are in 4X4 low you can do anything you want. I can also tell you I do know someone who swapped a 4.0 into the 2.5 and said there was no way in hell they would ever do it again. Was way too much time and money for a small gain. I have a couple hundred hours in my Jeep with a 2.5, and would do it all again. I just haven't done much with the engine.

As far as a V8 being too much power, sounds like some people need driving lessons. If you drive it and build it right there is no such thing. I will be dropping in a 302 when I have the money to spend. I just bought a house with a full garage, lift, and 100 Gallon air compressor so I am getting closer to my V8.:dance:

WGHyrum 06-18-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwcalijeep (Post 3873514)
Biggest mistake Jeep/Chrysler ever made was to get rid of the inline 6 cylinder...

4.0 will actually tow something (if that is your thing), will last forever.. of course..I'd say go with a diesel. I sold my 2.5 cj5 so I could build another tdi Jeep...

So why settle for either or, when you can have it all..fuel mileage...torque... and horsepower.

I agree. If you want more torque than anyone without too much horsepower while getting over 30 mpg, put in a VW TDI 1.9 and chip it for the jeep. As soon as I have a few weeks and a few grand at the same time, I am going to do this using an adapter kit from hpamotorsport.com

For now, my 2.5 is fine. My granddad's 4 banger M38 did just fine, so why wouldn't a YJ? (Actually that Willys is still running; my uncle got it in the will)

OverkillYJ 06-18-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WGHyrum (Post 3874048)

I agree. If you want more torque than anyone without too much horsepower while getting over 30 mpg, put in a VW TDI 1.9 and chip it for the jeep. As soon as I have a few weeks and a few grand at the same time, I am going to do this using an adapter kit from hpamotorsport.com

For now, my 2.5 is fine. My granddad's 4 banger M38 did just fine, so why wouldn't a YJ? (Actually that Willys is still running; my uncle got it in the will)

I would also like a diesel, to much extra $$$$ though.

Drix 06-18-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverkillYJ (Post 3874015)
You can stick an AX15 into a 2.5 without any big problems. I did it to mine. Was some work, but now I beat the living crap out of it without worries. As far as the trails, I got 33's, am locked front and back, and my buddies cant keep up with thier 4.0's. When you are in 4X4 low you can do anything you want. I can also tell you I do know someone who swapped a 4.0 into the 2.5 and said there was no way in hell they would ever do it again. Was way too much time and money for a small gain. I have a couple hundred hours in my Jeep with a 2.5, and would do it all again. I just haven't done much with the engine.

As far as a V8 being too much power, sounds like some people need driving lessons. If you drive it and build it right there is no such thing. I will be dropping in a 302 when I have the money to spend. I just bought a house with a full garage, lift, and 100 Gallon air compressor so I am getting closer to my V8.:dance:

This, I knew I wanted v8 so I did pick up a 4 cyl. Off road you won't have any power issues with a 4cly. Its all about gearing.

OverkillYJ 06-18-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drix (Post 3874915)

This, I knew I wanted v8 so I did pick up a 4 cyl. Off road you won't have any power issues with a 4cly. Its all about gearing.

Oh I have no power issues offroad. Lol. I have spent a few hundred hours in the woods with this jeep. Probably more.

Xpress 06-18-2013 09:55 PM

Only advantage the 6 cylinder has over the 4 cylinder is that the 6 cylinder is a 6 cylinder whereas the 4 cylinder is a 4 cylinder :)

Ibuildembig 06-18-2013 10:35 PM

The 6 will outlast the 4, runs circles around it, and will resell better.

YJ fanatic 06-18-2013 10:57 PM

I always thought my 2.5l was pretty good off-road, but I did the 4.0l swap and wow, what a difference. The 4.0l will do anything the 2.5l will do, and then some.

The 4 banger was fine in the trails. It didn't have enough power to spin the tires and lose traction. But it was terrible in the sand and dunes. The 4.0l flies up hills that the 2.5l just wouldn't climb.

My stock 2.5l got 14.5mpgs. My 4.0l with 4.10 gears and stock tires got 20. It gets 16-17 on 35s.