Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Should I Buy New or Used??? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/should-i-buy-new-or-used-249938.html)

jay02921 06-17-2013 12:35 PM

Should I Buy New or Used???
 
Hi All,

My first real post on this forum, I am a lurker for now but wanna know what you all think of buying a new 13/14 vs a used like 09-12? I noticed these things hold resale value! Will be buying in like 6-9months.

Thanks!

DF Jeep 06-17-2013 12:51 PM

I would buy new if those are your year choices. 07-11 have burning oil issues. One of those years has a water leak issue. I think (and hope) the head issue is work out of the new engines. I traded my (oil burning) 08 with 84,000miles in for a new 13 and it only cost me $15,000. They do hold there value so you wont save enough on a used one in those years. Just my thought.

jwright343 06-17-2013 01:04 PM

I as well traded in quite low. I traded in an 09 for a 12. They dealership gave me almost $7000 in trade value over what I OWED. Dealerships make $$$ on used vehicles not new ones. I would very first start by asking for the friends and family discount which is anywhere from 1-3% off MSRP. this will they'll know you aren't a sucker and you've actually done your homework. the absolute MOST you should ever pay for a new vehicle is sticker. I suckered my dealer into almost $3000 off sticker. I ran the deal. HE was my pawn. Do your homework, shop around, you'll find a deal, YOU'LL make the deal, not them. :)

DC Dennis 06-17-2013 01:07 PM

You will want the 3.6 engine of the 2012 and later models. With the resale values, unless you can find a smoking deal on a used one, might as well get a new one with the new car smell and warranty.

fv9 06-17-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwright343 (Post 3869541)
I as well traded in quite low. I traded in an 09 for a 12. They dealership gave me almost $7000 in trade value over what I OWED. Dealerships make $$$ on used vehicles not new ones. I would very first start by asking for the friends and family discount which is anywhere from 1-3% off MSRP. this will they'll know you aren't a sucker and you've actually done your homework. the absolute MOST you should ever pay for a new vehicle is sticker. I suckered my dealer into almost $3000 off sticker. I ran the deal. HE was my pawn. Do your homework, shop around, you'll find a deal, YOU'LL make the deal, not them. :)

1-3% off MSRP? You should be able to get well below invoice, not MSRP. I got 6% under invoice in Vancouver, WA.

DC Dennis 06-17-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fv9 (Post 3869614)
1-3% off MSRP? You should be able to get well below invoice, not MSRP. I got 6% under invoice in Vancouver, WA.

this

ToothDoc 06-17-2013 02:36 PM

Buy a new one. In my area the used ones are asking as much or more. Plus the older ones have issues as stated in previous posts and you get a warranty.

jay02921 06-17-2013 02:56 PM

Thank you all, that's what I was figuring plus if I finance rates are better on a new vehicle and get all the warranty! Sounds good. I'll be lurking :)

LoveJiuJitsu 06-17-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay02921 (Post 3869875)
Thank you all, that's what I was figuring plus if I finance rates are better on a new vehicle and get all the warranty! Sounds good. I'll be lurking :)

Exactly what I was going to say. :dance:

Good choice!

Rubicon Joe 06-17-2013 04:22 PM

I had the same problem. Was stuck on a low mile 2011 Rubicon or a brand new 2012 for just 1,500 more. I went with the 2012 JK Rubicon after driving both. The new engine had me sold. Drive the 3.8L and had no issues with the engine. Then drove the new 3.6L and was amazed at how much more power. So, I picked up a 2012 for 12% below MSRP and I get full warranty and the pleasure of knowing I get to be the one to break it in.

firehawk 06-17-2013 04:48 PM

go used/new??
 
:dance:hi, get one that is about 10 years old for $10k, keep it for one or two
years and sell it for $10K, & a bunch of fun! just another point of view..
ps; new is nice but used is also ok..:whistling::whistling:life is good..:rolleyes: I am on
jeep # 7. most were used..

Abnormal-JK 06-17-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicon Joe (Post 3870158)
I get full warranty and the pleasure of knowing I get to be the one to break it in.

That and being the ONLY one to ever pilot it.... :thumb:

Buy new~!! Or at least a '12... you'll like the power plant much better!

panthermark 06-17-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firehawk (Post 3870224)
:dance:hi, get one that is about 10 years old for $10k, keep it for one or two
years and sell it for $10K, & a bunch of fun! just another point of view..
ps; new is nice but used is also ok..:whistling::whistling:life is good..:rolleyes: I am on
jeep # 7. most were used..

Valid point, but that would aldo dependt depend on how you were going to use the Jeep.

DIXIEDOG 06-17-2013 05:39 PM

I prefer to purchase all my 4wd vehicles new....a lot of guys will purchase a new truck and use it for things well beyond what they should and then trade in a year or two so they don't have to fix anything. The price difference is generally not a lot (usually under $5k) and if you're financing the better interest rate will eat up most if not all that difference. It's also nice when to know nothing has been tampered with, I've been the guy that used his new truck in ways that were borderline abusive because I knew that in a year or two I would be trading it anyway. The amount of abuse you can subject a Jeep to offroad in a short time would make me think twice about a yr old used one.

Thunderlips 06-17-2013 06:02 PM

Im in a similar dilemma if you want to call it that. Found a used Rubicon COD with 14k on it for $37 and a used Artic Sahara w/5k on it for $35. Not sure what to do.

GeckoJK 06-17-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firehawk (Post 3870224)
:dance:hi, get one that is about 10 years old for $10k, keep it for one or two
years and sell it for $10K, & a bunch of fun! just another point of view..
ps; new is nice but used is also ok..:whistling::whistling:life is good..:rolleyes: I am on
jeep # 7. most were used..

10 years old means a TJ, not even an LJ so a lot less room. If you need the 4 doors a newer 07+ Unlimited is your only real option .

woah_amie 06-17-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderlips (Post 3870447)
Im in a similar dilemma if you want to call it that. Found a used Rubicon COD with 14k on it for $37 and a used Artic Sahara w/5k on it for $35. Not sure what to do.

both! :dance:

ONETANGO 06-17-2013 07:33 PM

New!

markattack 06-17-2013 07:38 PM

I'm looking to get a Jeep too, and after reading around and seeing the different prices between new vs. used... buying new does come out better in the end, and sure, the price difference may be a couple k's, but it pays itself at the end.

besides, who doesn't love a new car smell?!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 PM.