Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   350TBI Swap (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/350tbi-swap-249975.html)

blakeq63 06-17-2013 03:50 PM

350TBI Swap

I am starting my 350TBI swap this Friday. We will be pulling the 2.5L, AX5, and NP231J out of my 1993 and replacing it with a 350TBI, Turbo 400, and NP241C from a running 1990 Chevy 4x4 truck. I will have part-time help from a few friends (one is a welder). I have no hands on knowledge at all. I have been reading a lot.

Things I look to use: all applicable parts from the truck, M.O.R.E or AA mounts?, Dakota Digital Tach and Speedo Interfaces to retain gauges, Affordable Fuel Injection Wiring Harness and Chip, Aluminum Radiator, EFan, Posi-Lock Kit, and aftermarket headers?.

Can I retain the in tank fuel pump? I have read a lot of conflicting posts.

Will I have room to keep the mechanical fan?

I would like to take the PO's 3" BL/1" Shackle Lift off and replace it with a 2.5" or 3" SL. Should I do this before swapping anything?

There will definitely be more questions.

I have never used forums for much more than reading, so please be patient and kind. LOL

kywaterman 06-17-2013 10:23 PM

Looking forward to seeing more from your swap, I myself am in the parts gathering stage of my swap. Ive going to use more mounts, they've already arrived and the quality looks amazing. Very stout and superb welds. What made me go with them is that they are suppose to locate themselves in the perfect location and take the guess work out of it, they are also offset to the passenger side to allow clearance of the front driveshaft Some say that is a bad idea in that not all spots work which could be true but to me it seemed the best way for me to do it.
Now to the mecahnical fan, most people dont use them. Im not sure if the more mounts will locate the motor in a postion to where it could be used or not. As Ive only got the parts not installed them yet. But i can tell you i have a buddy who is running a yj with a tbi350 and using a mechincal fan. I havnt looked at it in person so Idk his setup, its stretched wheel base though so the motor may set alot closer to the firewall then what a stock wheel base would need to be.
Jb conversions make some sye's for the 241, since your already going to need new drive shafts it would be a could time to go cv shaft. plus your drivetrain length will be longer so the sye will help to give your ds more length. Good luck and keep us posted

Drix 06-17-2013 10:33 PM

for your fuel pump, look up the fuel pump on the donor and truck and see what it flows, it ifs close you should be good.

look at replacing your dana35 rear while your doing this.

blakeq63 06-18-2013 03:11 PM

kywaterman - I'm leaning towards M.O.R.E mounts and I need to check out that SYE kit. Thanks for the heads up.

Drix - I'm looking for a Ford 8.8 with 4.10s. Thanks for the advice.

blakeq63 06-29-2013 04:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
UPDATE -
Friday, 6/21...pulled engine, tranny, and tcase from donor vehicle.
Friday, 6/28...ordered AA Mounts, Aluminum Radiator, 16" Efan, Novak Tunnel Cover, PosiLock Kit, B&M Sport Shifter, DD Tach Interface, and went through engine and made a parts list to freshen it up. EMailed AFI requested info for wiring harness and chip. Going to wait until after install to assess suspension, SYE, DD Speedo Interface, and driveshaft needs. Hopefully next Friday I will pull engine, tranny, and tcase out of jeep.
Attachment 266830
Attachment 266831

CAJUN YJ 06-29-2013 04:26 PM

You only going to need 14psi of fuel pressure for that motor. Holly blue pump r a pump like I've bought for mine. Jegs elec. pump. 13.5psi with press. Reg for 100$.

blakeq63 06-29-2013 04:43 PM

CAJUN YJ.....no chance of using jeep intank fuel pump with a adjustable regulator with a return line?

harleydragon 06-29-2013 05:29 PM

I have 2 cj7's with 350's..I have swapped the headers out with ram horn manifolds..they give more room in the engine compartment,reduce the heat in the engine compartment,don't have leaking problems and look a lot cleaner

CAJUN YJ 06-30-2013 05:20 AM

Yea I don't c a prob with that. As long as the regulator is set right. I think the factory pump puts out enuff volume to keep a 350 goin at wot. My ol jeep was carbd. So I didn't have a choice but to get a fuel pump lol.

kywaterman 06-30-2013 06:17 AM

I ended up going the same route as you Blake, bought a th400 and 241 so thats what I'll be using as well. What radiator did you go with?

blakeq63 06-30-2013 09:57 AM

kywaterman - ordered a 3 row aluminum radiator with trans cooler from Radiator1 on EBAY for $214 with shipping and a 16" EFan Kit from Hot Rod Parts Clearance on EBAY for $80 with free shippping. I think I am going to order an additional remote trans cooler too.

harleydragon - I think I am going to try to fit it in with the stock manifolds....all that can happen is it not fit. LOL.

CAJUN YJ - I am going to try to use an adj. reg. first, I think it should work. I have a buddy that used a similar application in a chevy truck and it works great.

Billmummey 06-30-2013 10:32 AM

What axles are you using.... I want to swap in a 350 but don't want to have to put in full size axles and budget wise spending the money on jeep D44 won't be an option

blakeq63 06-30-2013 07:52 PM

Billmummey - going to run my stock D35/D30 for now, until I can get my hands on a Ford 8.8. I am pretty easy on vehicles and there's definitely no rocks or hills where I live.

CAJUN YJ 06-30-2013 09:10 PM

^^^lololololol u r right bout dat! Lol def no hills here! Just a bunch of ol black sloppy mud.

2xs 06-30-2013 09:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The Throttle Body/Injector unit in the TBI setups has a built in Fuel Pressure Regulator, and all you need to do is feed it 14PSI

Your stock 2.5L should run about 41, perhaps replacing your in-tank pump with a GM TBI one might do the trick, the fuel pumps are similar:

Original Replacement Parts 52018391P - Electric Fuel Pump for 94-95 Jeep® Wrangler YJ with 2.5L Engine, 94-96 Cherokee XJ with 2.5L or 4.0L Engine & 93-96 Grand Cherokee ZJ with 4.0L or 5.2L Engine - Quadratec

www.FuelPump.co -- GMC Fuel Pump Parts

they might even be interchangeable, just swap the harness with a junk yard harness for the GM pump.

EDIT:
Attached pic is a close up of the top of the pump I have in the garage from a 94 TBI Suburban, Im sure you could swap over this connector, and gert this pump to fin in your hanger. Second pic is the GM hanger, and the Third pic should be what you have

blakeq63 07-01-2013 07:13 AM

2xs - I have the donor truck, so if the jeep parts don't work I will pull from the truck. Big thanks for the pics and links.

2xs 07-01-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blakeq63 (Post 3915797)
2xs - I have the donor truck, so if the jeep parts don't work I will pull from the truck. Big thanks for the pics and links.

That helps alot! i kinda listed the links before the pics, to give you an idea of what i was looking at, but I didnt know you had the donor, so....

Awesome!

CAJUN YJ 07-08-2013 07:36 AM

How's ur progress coming?

blakeq63 07-09-2013 08:27 AM

Coming along good so far. Got in a bunch of parts I ordered and I was able to pull the engine/tranny/tcase from the jeep on Friday as planned. Looks like you are moving along except for those motor mounts. I bought AA mounts, but am double guessing myself now..................maybe I should have gone with the M.O.R.E mounts. We'll see when it comes time to set everything in.

CAJUN YJ 07-09-2013 10:35 AM

The AA mount r really good. You will be good with them. Just as long as u weld em in da right place lol. Don't mk da mistake I did! Lol I ended up building me some from some material I got from work. I think they r just as strong as the AA mounts. All out of 3/8" plate.

kywaterman 07-09-2013 10:20 PM

Wish I could find time to work on mine so I could comment on how the more mounts are going to work. Working 3rd shift zaps the daytime productivity out of me ha. I'm ready to see how the B&M shifter is going to work for you. I was wanting to use a lokar 26" linkage style shifter but have read some say to use a cable style like you are

2xs 07-10-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAJUN YJ (Post 3942230)
The AA mount r really good. You will be good with them. Just as long as u weld em in da right place lol. Don't mk da mistake I did! Lol I ended up building me some from some material I got from work. I think they r just as strong as the AA mounts. All out of 3/8" plate.

Huh?

CAJUN YJ 07-10-2013 07:42 AM

^^^ I screwed up an had to build me some mounts because I messed up an welded my first set of mounts in a lil too high. So I had to cut them out an ended up building me a new set from some steel I got from work.....
Clear enuff?

harleydragon 07-10-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kywaterman (Post 3944719)
Wish I could find time to work on mine so I could comment on how the more mounts are going to work. Working 3rd shift zaps the daytime productivity out of me ha. I'm ready to see how the B&M shifter is going to work for you. I was wanting to use a lokar 26" linkage style shifter but have read some say to use a cable style like you are

I have the Lokar in one of mine and really like it..

kywaterman 07-10-2013 10:08 PM

@harleydragon, what trans and transfer you running? Looks great by the way

blakeq63 07-11-2013 07:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by blakeq63 (Post 3941856)
coming along good so far. Got in a bunch of parts i ordered and i was able to pull the engine/tranny/tcase from the jeep on friday as planned. Looks like you are moving along except for those motor mounts. I bought aa mounts, but am double guessing myself now..................maybe i should have gone with the m.o.r.e mounts. We'll see when it comes time to set everything in.

7/5/13 Engine/Tranny/TCase pulled and I plan to clean up the cavity this weekend.

harleydragon 07-11-2013 09:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kywaterman (Post 3948760)
@harleydragon, what trans and transfer you running? Looks great by the way

Thanks,the entire jeep is that nice.There are many pics of it in my garage as well as in the jeeps for sale section..chevy 350 turbo and new process 208..both built by Godley's Performance Transmissions in Moultrie,Ga..Richard Godley builds and ships racing transmissions all over the country.The tranny's shifter is a Lokar.I built the transfer case shifter using a harley handle bar.My wife designed and hand sewed the shifter boots for both out of upholstery leather..

kywaterman 07-11-2013 10:15 PM

Blake looks like its coming right along. Ive been thinking bout the wiring on mine, and seeing your setup will be pretty much the same, you'll likely have the answer. Are you going to leave the stock harness in the jeep, to control the starter and get power to the accesories(lights gauges and whatnot). Then just tie in the 350s harness?

CAJUN YJ 07-12-2013 12:07 AM

Lookn good. If ur like me just wkn on it on the weekends an a lil bit after wk, it takes a lil while but will all be worth it!

blakeq63 07-12-2013 07:38 AM

kywaterman - I am going to start on wiring this weekend...........I am going to pull the computer from the donor truck and get a TBI chip and wiring harness from Affordable Fuel Injection. I'll update after this weekend's "adventure".

CAJUN YJ - yeah, I decided to try it myself cause I couldn't find a shop that would do it in less than 3 months. I figured I could do it in 3-4 months, learn something new, and save $1500-$2000 in labor. Well, not save, but spend $$$ on something else that I want for the jeep. LOL.