Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   4 wheel low wont engage (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/4-wheel-low-wont-engage-249987.html)

dirtdigger 06-17-2013 06:03 PM

4 wheel low wont engage

I have a 98 it has a six inch lift when I try to shift to 4 wheel low it won't engage I've looked under the rig and the linkage has been modified it will also jump out of 4 wheel high when going over obstacles any suggestions on what may be wrong

poptarts 06-17-2013 06:04 PM

my jeep does the same issues. i just gave up on 4low

callbob 06-17-2013 06:16 PM

well I've replied as have others on this subject, but here goes again. The factory linkage is a pos x2. Especially when you lift and compound with body lift. You can try to readjust the factory linkage and that can be searched as well. To put it completely to rest, buy a Novack shift cable, spend an hour or so installing it and no more problems. I am completely sold on this product after doing the adjustment and extension piece from tera flex and wish I had done it sooner. NO hassle, shifts like it should and no question whether or not you are in low range. This is how the factory should have done it.

dirtdigger 06-17-2013 06:21 PM

Thanks ill get one on order sorry using my phone and sometimes it doesn't search properly for some reason

UnlimitedRubicon 06-17-2013 06:24 PM

Novak #SK2XC Cable Shifter Assembly

callbob 06-17-2013 06:27 PM

no biggie there is another thread going on now with the same issues. lol
Make sure and tell them which transmission and transfer case you have. They had a mix up on mine and had to send me a different bracket for the transfer case side but customer service was great and got the right part out right away.

Big Cole 06-17-2013 07:01 PM

Novak cable shifter. I installed one Saturday afternoon and it was easy. Took about two hours to remove the Tcase skid, engine skid, and install the shifter. My tcase shifts as smooth as butter.

jeepwayoflife 06-17-2013 08:00 PM

Yes the novak shifter will solve the problem, but if you don't want to spend the money, all you have to do is adjust the linkage. Do this by loosening the bolt on the sliding rod from the handle, put the transfer cause into 2hi, put the handle almost all the way forward into the 2hi position, and tighten the bolt. Unless you have a big body lift, the problem should be gone.

Tomdata 06-17-2013 10:23 PM

Novak

JeepersDave 06-18-2013 08:46 AM

Novak solves a multitude of issues....love mine!

callbob 06-18-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepwayoflife (Post 3870623)
Yes the novak shifter will solve the problem, but if you don't want to spend the money, all you have to do is adjust the linkage. Do this by loosening the bolt on the sliding rod from the handle, put the transfer cause into 2hi, put the handle almost all the way forward into the 2hi position, and tighten the bolt. Unless you have a big body lift, the problem should be gone.

Still a temporary fix at best. The grommets wear out, the constant torque forces at play if you offroad at all, and the overall design flaws all lead to ongoing readjustment. Save some of the money spent on plasti dip and do it right with Novack and then you can concentrate on all the other things we find to work on or redo or maintain.

jeepwayoflife 06-18-2013 12:46 PM

Hmm I must just be lucky. 11 years and not one adjustment with frequent 4wheeling. Anyway, go with Novak if you can, its on my list.

Tomdata 06-18-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepwayoflife (Post 3873168)
Hmm I must just be lucky. 11 years and not one adjustment with frequent 4wheeling. Anyway, go with Novak if you can, its on my list.

Without a body lift or tummy tuck most people never have problems with the stock t-case linkage.