Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   JKS quick Disco's stick/hard to get off? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jks-quick-discos-stick-hard-to-get-off-250071.html)

Papparonzi 06-17-2013 10:09 PM

JKS quick Disco's stick/hard to get off?

I recently added these quick disconnects to my stock JK sport. I dialed them all the way down to match the factory units that came off. They where hard to get on and I gave them a few days and I took them off today and they where still hard to get on and off! I did this both times on a flat and level surface. I have not greased them yet because I don't have a grease gun. Can I lube the openings to make them easier to get on and off? Do I need to adjust them better to make them easier to get on and off? Want to have them dialed in before I struggle at the park to get them on and off. Thanks for ideas.

jadmt 06-17-2013 10:15 PM

I have JKS 0-2" and have them on and off no problem at all. You need to get a grease gun and grease them or you are going to ruin them. You need to lube more then the openings. Go by a cheap grease gun they are dirt cheap.

jp2611 06-17-2013 10:20 PM

That is a problem with quick Discos IMO...most people around here have one of a few things the Currie anti rock/ stock sway bar connects/ or are running no sway bar in the front. I DD my TJ on the road to much to just leave them off, and haven't wanted the Currie bad enough to go that route, have only had the the quick disco's since OCT.Yes they are a PIA and I usually use some white lithium grease on the ends to make it "easier"....I also keep a small sledge in the Jeep to help "persuade" them if they are stubborn.

fljeepleo 06-18-2013 01:56 AM

Its the nature of the beast with those.

Off Pavement 06-18-2013 08:33 AM

Being completely level will help. When I had manual discos, I carried a short pry bar that made easy work of removal and hookup.

tabber02 06-18-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 3871416)
I have JKS 0-2" and have them on and off no problem at all. You need to get a grease gun and grease them or you are going to ruin them. You need to lube more then the openings. Go by a cheap grease gun they are dirt cheap.

^^ and grease them frequently. :whistling: especially if you're power-washing the underside of your rig after wheeling...

Kennyksu 06-18-2013 08:43 AM

I actually keep a small Irwin Quick Grip clamp in the Jeep with me. Sometimes it's hard to get room to bang them on or off and these little suckers can apply a lot of force. Handy for all kinds of other things too. But you definitely need to get a grease gun and fill those suckers or you'll kill them fast, as mentioned above.

RemoJK 06-18-2013 08:54 AM

Grease mine all the time and the bushing are now shot after about two years. They won't budge at all, so it's a PITA for me getting them on and off. but that's what a hammers for haha

enjerhoo 06-18-2013 09:03 AM

The first few times I disconnected, I had the same issue & wondered what I was doing wrong. If you use your weight to pull down on the sway bar - weight on your heels and hold the sway bar with one hand, it will drop the bar by a fraction of an inch & relieve some of the friction force on the link at the lower connection allowing you to pull the eyelet off the stud a bit easier.

I leave the top connection on and use some zip ties to tie the links to the sway bar.

I would avoid the hammer personally unless there is a lot of rust for some reason.

jadmt 06-18-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enjerhoo (Post 3872613)
The first few times I disconnected, I had the same issue & wondered what I was doing wrong. If you use your weight to pull down on the sway bar - weight on your heels and hold the sway bar with one hand, it will drop the bar by a fraction of an inch & relieve some of the friction force on the link at the lower connection allowing you to pull the eyelet off the stud a bit easier.

I leave the top connection on and use some zip ties to tie the links to the sway bar.

I would avoid the hammer personally unless there is a lot of rust for some reason.

ditto and one other tip. turn the wheel so it is out of your way do one side and then turn the wheel and do the other side. the sway bar moves enough to make it easy.

cmaggi2 06-18-2013 09:39 AM

Rubber mallet helps too.

Papparonzi 06-20-2013 07:24 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Got a grease gun and got them lubed up! Gonna throw a rubber mallet in the trail bag.

jadmt 06-27-2013 11:29 AM

I just got back from Moab and disconnected and connected about 20X over 4 days there. Never had an issue with my jks discos. I found that popping the first one off using my hydraulic jack lever or screw driver to pry it off was easy and then the second one would come off very easy. getting them back on when on uneven ground was not so bad either if using the jack handle to lever the sway bar in place.

tab22092 08-09-2013 07:39 PM

Srry to kick up an old thread but how much to you grease yours up? I installed them and just pumped till i saw some come out. Maybe like 5 pumps. Or do they have to be THOROUGHLY lubed? Lol

jadmt 08-09-2013 10:51 PM

you should be good if it is oozing out.

tab22092 08-10-2013 01:50 PM

Just took mine off fir the first time and they were hard too. Putting them back on was harder though. Swaybar seemed bent or something. Anyways a little motor oil on the post (just a film) really makes the job easier!