Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Top Side oil pump: Transfer Case oil change (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/top-side-oil-pump-transfer-case-oil-change-25019.html)

Timberman 01-10-2009 07:48 PM

Top Side oil pump: Transfer Case oil change

Guys,

I was reading a write-up on 4x4xplor.com on the NP231 Transfer case fluid change and I am really not cool with taking off the skid, so I was wondering.. Could I use a top side oil pump inserted through the fill hole to pull off this change without removing the skid?

Timber

afrats 01-10-2009 08:08 PM

I don't see why not. As long as you get the fluid out. But, isn't the fill and the drain hole the same?

jpdocdave 01-10-2009 08:15 PM

why remove the skid? the only reason to take off the skid is to avoid the fluid getting all over it maybe, and dripping off it for days. you should be able to use a peice of cardboard, or something like it to run the fluid off like a slide.

i never take the skid off to do a t case service. got a link for the write up?

Timberman 01-10-2009 08:53 PM

Here you go JP

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpdocdave (Post 306337)
why remove the skid? the only reason to take off the skid is to avoid the fluid getting all over it maybe, and dripping off it for days. you should be able to use a peice of cardboard, or something like it to run the fluid off like a slide.

i never take the skid off to do a t case service. got a link for the write up?

Yeah, I could do it that way, but I don't want to leak fluid for days.. Good idea on the cardboard Doc! I have a top side pump which i used to change my lawnmower oil, so why not use it.. Right?

I was thinking I could just drain as much as I can with the pump and then allow the remainder to drain through the drain into a catch or something like that. I used to use a top side for my sea ray boat and man, it sucked the oil clean..

here is the link: Jeep Axle Differential Fluid Change Service

Timber

jpdocdave 01-10-2009 08:56 PM

that link is for diff services. but if they are saying drop the skid to avoid spilling on it, skip it. i like what you said, drain as much as you can like you said, and then pull the drain plug. it only holds 1.5 qts give or take a quarter.

like i said, i never drop a skid to do a t case service. i use anything i can find as a deflector if i have to, thats all.

Timberman 01-10-2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpdocdave (Post 306358)
that link is for diff services. but if they are saying drop the skid to avoid spilling on it, skip it. i like what you said, drain as much as you can like you said, and then pull the drain plug. it only holds 1.5 qts give or take a quarter.

like i said, i never drop a skid to do a t case service. i use anything i can find as a deflector if i have to, thats all.

Sorry about that sir.. Little brain-dead over here..

Here is the like: Jeep NV3550 Transmission & NP231 Transfer Case Service

jpdocdave 01-10-2009 09:06 PM

thats what i thought. if you're doing the nv3550 i'd venture the skid is in the way. but for the t case, i wouldn't call it lazy, i'd call it smarter. just do what you are thinking, you won't have any problems.

Timberman 01-10-2009 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpdocdave (Post 306366)
thats what i thought. if you're doing the nv3550 i'd venture the skid is in the way. but for the t case, i wouldn't call it lazy, i'd call it smarter. just do what you are thinking, you won't have any problems.

Right on Doc, I will give her a shot!! I change motor oil with my pump, so do you think I should probably change the hose as to no contaminate the fluid??

jpdocdave 01-11-2009 08:39 AM

or clean it out real well, brake clean is your friend, use that, and then rinse it real well if you want, or just change it.