Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Buying 1st Wrangler on a Budget!! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/buying-1st-wrangler-on-a-budget-250228.html)

TylerU 06-18-2013 07:03 PM

Buying 1st Wrangler on a Budget!!

so I'm still on my way scouting my 1st jeep.. an something happened

TylerU 06-18-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerU (Post 3874481)
so I'm still on my way scouting my 1st jeep.. an something happened

(accidently press the submitt on my phone, so ot continues)
something unexpected happened, and my previous $10k budget got reduced to 7k or 6k, since i'm starting my own insurance policy, gotta put 700 bucks aside for the first 6 months.

I'm gonna be usin it as a Daily Driver too, so I can't afford to have parts changed every once in a while.. I'm looking for something to drive right out of the garage maybe some oil/ tire change, but that's it.

I wonder how many yall jeep owners out there got your wrangler for less than 6k, without major repair cost I cant afford... is my budget realistic to get me enjoy the funs yall having now !!!

Brig 06-18-2013 07:31 PM

90s Jeeps tend to bring under 6K regularly. Might need a little work, but the early ones are easy and reliable, don't have all that modern day electrical crap to jack things up. My 97 TJ cost 4500 two years ago off a used lot to my buddy, I bought it for 3k because it needs some work...pretty much just new tires and exhaust...which is cheap enough if you're willing to crawl under and do it yourself.

TylerU 06-19-2013 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brig (Post 3874593)
90s Jeeps tend to bring under 6K regularly. Might need a little work, but the early ones are easy and reliable, don't have all that modern day electrical crap to jack things up. My 97 TJ cost 4500 two years ago off a used lot to my buddy, I bought it for 3k because it needs some work...pretty much just new tires and exhaust...which is cheap enough if you're willing to crawl under and do it yourself.

finger crossed to have a deal like yours...

TylerU 06-20-2013 01:59 AM

bump anyone else?

dukedallas 06-20-2013 09:01 AM

Unfortunately for your sake a Jeep under 6k is a tough find unless its a rot box or a early 90's YJ. These things hold their value incredibly well ESPECIALLY this time of yr when everyone want to feel the summer breeze through their hair. Good luck I hope you can find one dude.

TJDave 06-20-2013 09:05 AM

What about the Jeep in your avatar? What happened to that one?

TylerU 06-20-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukedallas (Post 3880764)
Unfortunately for your sake a Jeep under 6k is a tough find unless its a rot box or a early 90's YJ. These things hold their value incredibly well ESPECIALLY this time of yr when everyone want to feel the summer breeze through their hair. Good luck I hope you can find one dude.

then is what time of the year people are getting rid of them, winter time?

TylerU 06-20-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJDave (Post 3880789)
What about the Jeep in your avatar? What happened to that one?

that's a jeep in a auto paint show, if i got a beat up one of my own, i'll def paint it like the artistic way..lol

dukedallas 06-20-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerU (Post 3880853)

Good point actually... never...i think summer more so than winter people want them.

TJDave 06-20-2013 10:24 AM

Wow. I just did a Jeep search on Craigslist in your area which I am sure you have already done. They are proud of their Jeeps over there too. Pretty standard asking prices.

Your best bet for a daily driver in your price range is to find an unmolested YJ in stock condition. There is one TJ in that range, but it is hacked up and beat. You don't need someone else's problems.

I know you want a Wrangler, but have you considered an XJ Cherokee? You can find one in good condition for a lot less than a Wrangler. They make pretty good wheelers too. Just a thought.

Brig 06-20-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerU (Post 3880853)

That's when I got mine...late December, when people were buying Christmas gifts rather than vehicles

Hawaii 5-0 06-20-2013 06:49 PM

Jeep and budget never belong in the same sentence ; )

TylerU 06-21-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJDave (Post 3881045)
Wow. I just did a Jeep search on Craigslist in your area which I am sure you have already done. They are proud of their Jeeps over there too. Pretty standard asking prices.

Your best bet for a daily driver in your price range is to find an unmolested YJ in stock condition. There is one TJ in that range, but it is hacked up and beat. You don't need someone else's problems.

I know you want a Wrangler, but have you considered an XJ Cherokee? You can find one in good condition for a lot less than a Wrangler. They make pretty good wheelers too. Just a thought.

tell me about it, jeepers in Utah are all "hoaders", i looked through all the sites in the state, No Game! in comparison, there are loads of listings in AZ, NV and of course Cali.. probably i'll end up source one out of the state, but i just dont feel good about the idea of while driving back to UT, it's still under someone else's name.. what if something happens...

also, i gave cherokee some serious thoughts, but it's still a no in the end, what's the point if I cant got top/ doorless, i may just compromise for a truck or standard suv.. ya think?

can you link me to the TJ you were talkih about, i'm trying to learn how to identify beat up ones from heathy mods.. thanks bro..

TJDave 06-21-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerU (Post 3884807)
also, i gave cherokee some serious thoughts, but it's still a no in the end, what's the point if I cant got top/ doorless, i may just compromise for a truck or standard suv.. ya think?

I like the thinking. There is nothing like a Wrangler. But, if you are going to compromise, why not the XJ? They are very capable. We have a lot of XJ owners in my club.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerU (Post 3884807)
can you link me to the TJ you were talkih about, i'm trying to learn how to identify beat up ones from heathy mods.. thanks bro..

Here is the link.

03' Jeep TJ

If I was looking for strictly a toy and not a driver.......maybe.

TylerU 06-21-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJDave (Post 3885067)

I like the thinking. There is nothing like a Wrangler. But, if you are going to compromise, why not the XJ? They are very capable. We have a lot of XJ owners in my club.

Here is the link.

03' Jeep TJ

If I was looking for strictly a toy and not a driver.......maybe.

XJ will be my 2nd option in case wrangler fell through, i was just saying personally, it doesnt make much of a difference, having an XJ or tahoe..

lol, that TJ was totally molested... lmao