Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   95 Wrangler Questions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/95-wrangler-questions-25034.html)

smithdn 01-11-2009 08:11 AM

95 Wrangler Questions

I purchased my first Wrangler just before Christmas. It is a 1995 Wrangler with a 4" PRO Comp Lift and 35" tires. I have driven it around town approximately 100 miles with no problems. Yesterday I started to take it off road down a power line and when I crossed a ditch it died. No electrical at all. I am assuming it is a fuse but not sure.

* If it is not the battery fuse where else should I look at?
* I was told the factory wiring harness is of poor quality. Should I look at replacing it?
* I am not 100% sure but if I have a 1995 Wrangler does that mean it is a CJ?

These may seem like stupid questions but I know very little about Wranglers. Any help would be appreciated.

Doug

jpdocdave 01-11-2009 08:16 AM

no stupid questions, this is where you come to learn. you have a yj wrangler, cj's were before the wrangler.

as far as no power, do you have any electrical at all? if nothing is working, i'd check the battery connections first, a cable probably just came loose off the battery. otherwise give us a little more info on what exactly happened, and what doesn't work.

welcome to the forum

smithdn 01-11-2009 08:59 AM

I had just put it into 4W low and started up an incline and it died. I turned the key of and tried to turn it over and nothing. No lights, no intruments, no clicking like the battery was low. I popped th ehood and checked the battery connections but everything looked good to me. I tried it again but no change. I thought about the fuse after. Can you direct me on this one? And I appreciate your help.

Doug

jpdocdave 01-11-2009 09:12 AM

well if the terminals are tight, and it is unlikely that the battery just died like that. i would check the main fuses. it is more likely that a cable came loose, check the connection at the starter and alternator also.

smithdn 01-11-2009 09:19 AM

I will check those connections and take a fuse with me. Is there anyplace I can download a TJ owners manual? Where is the fuse box located? Is there one main battery fuse?

Doug

jpdocdave 01-11-2009 09:29 AM

i'm sure tj guy will come in with the exact locations, it isn't gonna be just a regular fuse most likely. its gonna be a big one, probably a maxi fuse. your owners manual should have the fues info in it. or go to the parts store and get a haynes manual. good luck, and let us know.

oh crap, you don't have the owners manual, just read that. i'd go get a manual at a parts store for now, and check ebay for an owners manual. i'm sure you can download one, but i don't know where.

smithdn 01-11-2009 09:49 AM

Thanks for your help. I see you are very active in the forum, and I thank you for that. I will hit you back when I find something out. So long for now from NC.

Doug

87YJWrangler 01-11-2009 02:13 PM

Okay you have a YJ and theres a connection next to the battery tray on the fire wall check that one too...