Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Trextop NX or Safari, Windjammer & Duster/Cargo Cover? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/trextop-nx-or-safari-windjammer-and-duster-cargo-cover-250366.html)

4X4Lady 06-19-2013 10:52 AM

Trextop NX or Safari, Windjammer & Duster/Cargo Cover?

I have a Bestop Trextop NX being delivered tomorrow, but currently having a lot of second thoughts on it & wondering if I should just get a Safari top, Windjammer & Duster/Cargo Cover instead? I currently have a hardtop 2013 JK 2 door, but am DYING to take the hardtop off :eek: I know a lot of it is personal preference, but since I've only had a Jeep for about 7 months, I don't know which route to go. HELP! LOL I was told that I could refuse delivery of the Trextop NX, but I need to decide FAST! :doh:

greech 06-19-2013 03:02 PM

I went with the Trektop NX and added a duster on my JKU -- love the set up! Having the Trektop NX always gives me the option of going with a full soft top, if I want to. I don't use the windjammer, so I cannot comment on it or the benefit it would add....

Jerryb501 06-30-2013 06:00 AM

hey greech do you have a pic of the trektop and the duster intalled ?
Thinking about the same thing to cover the cargo area when the windows are off.

BeeGeeLuigi 06-30-2013 06:37 AM

I was debating the same thing but I'm ordering the NX today too. The other top/combo you were talking about doesn't give full protection against rain, or at least that's what I was told. NX seems to be the best of both world, full soft top or bikini.

greech 06-30-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerryb501 (Post 3913109)
hey greech do you have a pic of the trektop and the duster intalled ?
Thinking about the same thing to cover the cargo area when the windows are off.

These are all I've got at the moment...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-k...and+Duster.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-p...+Installed.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-3...+Top+Above.JPG

rics1997 06-30-2013 03:30 PM

I had the Bikini windjammer duster on mine for a while. The only thing I didn't like was the windjammer limits your seat position vastly. Made me feel cramped when driving. I ended up getting the Trektop NX and use the duster with the safari during the Summer and if the weather does get bad while just running the NX Safari top I still add the windjammer. I like the Trektop NX with the windjammer duster option. It gives you so many options

Heres some picks of the 2dr with the Trektop NX and the windows removed with the duster and duster with Windjammer

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...psbf1649d2.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps032494d8.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...-49-00_510.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...-38-51_177.jpg

Jerryb501 07-01-2013 04:33 AM

Looks really good, thanks for the pix

Espo78 03-13-2015 03:52 PM

I was about to post a new thread but instead I'll bump this one up...

I've been considering running the Duster/Windjammer combo on my JK in conjunction with my Trektop for summer. The main issue I can think of is that the Trektop has straps that connect under the rails on each side of the tailgate. I see in the pic posted above the straps are run down the roll bar. Are they securely attached? Also how much does the duster keep water out of the trunk area? If I have the windows out when it rains the trunk area gets wet including the cubby area and where the Jack goes. I have to remove all of my recovery gear and let it dry out.

407guy 03-15-2015 01:32 PM

+1 on what Espo78 has asked.

Specifically for me, can you run the entire Trektop NX (side and rear windows installed) WITH the dusk cover?

Or is it one or the other?

Thx.

Dr. Evil 03-15-2015 05:32 PM

Curious as to the questions above too. Also, do you just fold down the rear seat to run the dust cover or do you have to take the seat out? Just when I think I am keeping my Supertop NX, you guys have started to make me think.:banghead:

jp2611 03-15-2015 05:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My experience while slightly different may shed some light on some of the questions.

Difference was a TJ. With the Duster and WRAP AROUND JAMMER it was dry inside with my Trek top in Safari mode. I don't think a wraparound Jammer is made for a JK. So you do have the gap where water COULD come into the Jeep.

A duster does not work when the windows are on as it uses the belt rail the window goes into. So it is a one or the other type situation.

With a duster the rear seat can be folded down or removed easily in a JK. For a JKU there is an extension that will allow you to fold back seat down and duster will than end right behind the front seats.

IMO when my JK needs a "NEW" ST I will have a hard time choosing between another OEM top or the Frameless NX, hope this helps!!

Dr. Evil 03-15-2015 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp2611 (Post 17684449)
My experience while slightly different may shed some light on some of the questions.

Difference was a TJ. With the Duster and WRAP AROUND JAMMER it was dry inside with my Trek top in Safari mode. I don't think a wraparound Jammer is made for a JK. So you do have the gap where water COULD come into the Jeep.

A duster does not work when the windows are on as it uses the belt rail the window goes into. So it is a one or the other type situation.

With a duster the rear seat can be folded down or removed easily in a JK. For a JKU there is an extension that will allow you to fold back seat down and duster will than end right behind the front seats.

IMO when my JK needs a "NEW" ST I will have a hard time choosing between another OEM top or the Frameless NX, hope this helps!!

Thanks. It helps. It helps me bang my head a little harder lol.

Dr. Evil 03-15-2015 06:47 PM

I currently have the Supertop NX and a Dirty Dogs 2 piece shade underneath. So even when my top is down, I am not totally "open" due to the shade. If this is the case, why do I need the Supertop NX? Wouldn't the Trektop NX give me almost the same feel in safari mode without the DD shade? I know the DD shade isn't exactly solid and lets some light in, but would it feel that much less "open" with the Trektop NX in safari compared to the Supertop NX with the DD shade? Even with the sunrider on my Supertop open I am still enclosed by the DD shade so what's the point then, right? I am intrigued by the Trektop NX with the duster as shown above. I don't have passengers in the rear of my 2 door more than I do. Since I am basically not "topless" when my soft top is down now anyway, would I mind that it is more difficult to actually get "topless" with the Trektop? I guess the main drawback is the difficulty in taking the Trektop windows with me in case they are needed to be re-installed away from home. Can someone please make this decision for me please??????:lmao:

jp2611 03-15-2015 07:22 PM

OBTW I neglected to mention 3rd pic in previous post.....all windows including half door uppers.....in the black bag

Espo78 03-15-2015 08:25 PM

Dr Evil. I have a SWS under my trektop. It's the JKini version that only covers the front seats. I can tell you that when I run the Trektop with the sunrider open and the back portion in safari mode it still feels different then when I roll up the back portion. I don't know why because I can't really see it. But it feels way more open with the trektop rolled up. I'm not sure if that helps you make a decision though lol. If you had the duster cover all your windows could store underneath the cover. But if you had the duster you also wouldn't need the windows. :P

Dr. Evil 03-15-2015 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Espo78 (Post 17688969)
Dr Evil. I have a SWS under my trektop. It's the JKini version that only covers the front seats. I can tell you that when I run the Trektop with the sunrider open and the back portion in safari mode it still feels different then when I roll up the back portion. I don't know why because I can't really see it. But it feels way more open with the trektop rolled up. I'm not sure if that helps you make a decision though lol. If you had the duster cover all your windows could store underneath the cover. But if you had the duster you also wouldn't need the windows. :P

Thanks Espo. I guess the only issue would be if I had a passenger in the back, no windows, and it started to rain. If you run in safari mode and you want to flip up the sunrider, why have the sws then? Doesn't that defeat the purpose and you should just not flip the top, or, flip the top and have it truly open? Is there enough of a difference to run either strictly safari compared to using the sunrider with the sws under it?

jterry69 03-16-2015 07:51 AM

I ran all last summer with my windjammer and deck cover combo and loved it. I drive to work at 5:00 in the morning on highway and windjammer was perfect for cool mornings and deck cover keeps rain out. Love the versatility of this combo.

Espo78 03-16-2015 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil (Post 17690097)
Thanks Espo. I guess the only issue would be if I had a passenger in the back, no windows, and it started to rain. If you run in safari mode and you want to flip up the sunrider, why have the sws then? Doesn't that defeat the purpose and you should just not flip the top, or, flip the top and have it truly open? Is there enough of a difference to run either strictly safari compared to using the sunrider with the sws under it?

I think you're asking me what's the point of putting the sunrider back if you have a spiderweb shade on? If that's your question I think they only way to answer it is to experience how a SWS feels. It's nice to be completely open up top but the SWS still feels open, and it blocks most of the sun and only gives you the nice breeze. In Florida it can be downright unbearable with a totally open top for much of the day. Since I installed the SWS more than a year ago, I've never taken it off. It's the perfect amount of sun vs shade for me.

Espo78 03-16-2015 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jterry69 (Post 17697081)
I ran all last summer with my windjammer and deck cover combo and loved it. I drive to work at 5:00 in the morning on highway and windjammer was perfect for cool mornings and deck cover keeps rain out. Love the versatility of this combo.

What are your thoughts on seat position with the windjammer? Do you have it installed with a trektop?

Dr. Evil 03-16-2015 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Espo78 (Post 17710345)
I think you're asking me what's the point of putting the sunrider back if you have a spiderweb shade on? If that's your question I think they only way to answer it is to experience how a SWS feels. It's nice to be completely open up top but the SWS still feels open, and it blocks most of the sun and only gives you the nice breeze. In Florida it can be downright unbearable with a totally open top for much of the day. Since I installed the SWS more than a year ago, I've never taken it off. It's the perfect amount of sun vs shade for me.

So what I am getting is that compared to running with the safari top without the sunrider open, riding with it open and the SWS installed is enough of a difference and feels much more open instead of straight safari top with no SWS. Got it. Now, back to my other issue of having a passenger in the back and no windows.:rofl2:

jterry69 03-16-2015 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Espo78 (Post 17710377)
What are your thoughts on seat position with the windjammer? Do you have it installed with a trektop?

You definitely lose seat positioning with windjammer on, but not unbearable. I only pulled it up and attached to top roll bar on the drive to work or when it rained on the way home. I would have my doors off when no rain in forecast and windjammer up. But never tried with Trektop only factory top.

Espo78 03-17-2015 10:04 AM

I just bought a Duster cover on Amazon for a song. Got it pretty cheap because the packaging is damaged or something. It will be here Thursday. Then I'll have some answers about using it with the Trektop.

Espo78 03-20-2015 12:35 PM

It does work with the Trektop.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/tr...o-1104122.html