Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Rear winch (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/rear-winch-250443.html)

64Chevy 06-19-2013 06:01 PM

Rear winch

Currently have a '98 JKU Sahara, and will upgrade soon (once I sort out color choices) to a '14 JKU Rubi. Going with a Rubi because I am starting to do more challenging off road adventures. I was chatting with someone who said it was better to have a winch in the cargo area and front/rear receivers, versus mounting a winch to the front bumper. The arguments against a permanently mounted front winch are clear (theft risk, weight, exposure to the elements, etc.) especially in a rig that sees 85% road. But, a decent winch and a carrying cradle are heavy (from specs I've read about 90 pounds) and the thought carrying that from the back cargo area to the front receiver up a steep, muddy slope (I'm in the Pacific Northwest) doesn't sound fun. But, I can certainly imagine cases where you would rather winch backward than winch forward. So a couple of newbie questions:

1) Is anyone here using front/rear receivers and a winch that they move where needed?

2) In your experience, when wheeling, how many times have you wished for a rear mounted winch?

Just trying to sort things out. Thanks.

WatchThis! 06-19-2013 06:54 PM

Do you plan on wheeling by yourself all the time?

64Chevy 06-19-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchThis! (Post 3878619)
Do you plan on wheeling by yourself all the time?

I'll often have a passenger, but I will often be the only vehicle.

WatchThis! 06-19-2013 07:19 PM

Me personally I would never have one that I could swap back and forth. Thats just more junk to have to secure inside the jeep, and like you said could be a pain especially if you are in the mud.

64Chevy 06-19-2013 07:36 PM

I like the idea of not having it exposed to the elements (remember--I'm in Oregon, so 6 months of the year it will be wet--parked in a garage at night, but outside at work), but I agree about not wanting another piece of recovery gear to carry. But I was curious how many people have ever been in a situation where they wished they had a read mounted winch.

Remmy18 06-19-2013 07:56 PM

Mount it on the front with a cover and be smart about when you want to try an obstacle where the only way out is backwards. Just my $.02

Lowerumble 06-19-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remmy18 (Post 3878771)
Mount it on the front with a cover and be smart about when you want to try an obstacle where the only way out is backwards. Just my $.02

I agree. I think you are overthinking it. I would just stick with the standard mount.

As an alternative, mount one on the front like normal and buy the tntcustoms rear bumper that has a hidden winch and throw one in there too!

JKralph 06-19-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64Chevy
I like the idea of not having it exposed to the elements (remember--I'm in Oregon, so 6 months of the year it will be wet--parked in a garage at night, but outside at work), but I agree about not wanting another piece of recovery gear to carry. But I was curious how many people have ever been in a situation where they wished they had a read mounted winch.

Only had to use mine a grand total of 3 times, but never needed to go backward.

If you want a permanent front mounted winch and winching in reverse is a concern for you, there are some videos out there on how to use a front mounted winch to winch you backward. A lot of pulley action...

Remmy18 06-19-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKralph (Post 3878838)

Only had to use mine a grand total of 3 times, but never needed to go backward.

If you want a permanent front mounted winch and winching in reverse is a concern for you, there are some videos out there on how to use a front mounted winch to winch you backward. A lot of pulley action...

Did a quick search. Cool.

http://youtu.be/FxP-Mjk23HA

64Chevy 06-20-2013 12:30 AM

The overthinking it comment is probably correct. I am trying to be over-prepared and frugal at the same time. The thought was driven by a friend of a friend who does not have a front mounted winch, but has one that he can mount at either end.

Thanks.

Remmy18 06-20-2013 08:38 AM

Better to over think it then spend some $ and be unhappy with the setup. I'd say there's pros and cons to both front mounted and transportable but to me, it would be a pain to deal with lugging it around in a precarious situation, especially if you were in a spot and couldn't open the tailgate.

bdizz 06-20-2013 03:33 PM

Sometimes winching forward is only gonna pull you in deeper and/or make the problem worse.

I currently have only a permanent front winch, but I would love to have a permanent rear winch as well. I can't be sure of the exact number, but there have certainly been a few scenarios where I really needed to be pulled out backwards. I've got this on my wish list:

Olympic 4x4 Products 5560-171 - Olympic 4x4 Products Rear Smuggler Winch Bumper with Dual Pivot Tire Carrier for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec