Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Extended Warranty Offer (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/extended-warranty-offer-250576.html)

fdelle 06-20-2013 09:30 AM

Extended Warranty Offer

I have an offer from Mopar Vehicle Protection to extend my 3 Year/36,000 Mile Factory Warranty an additional three years on my 2011 Wrangler Unlimited. It's the Maximum Care Plan (Comprehensive coverage of over 5,000 critical components, basically conitnuing my same coverage). The price is $1,489. The representative said the price is not negotiable. A few questions: Do you know if that's true? Also, can I get the same plan through Mopar from my local dealer at a better price? This plan has a $100 deductible for repairs. Do you think this is a good deal? Thanks for any input!

Noble 06-20-2013 10:21 AM

It depends on how many miles allowed, if it has a disappearing deductible or if it is Mopars "100% money back guarantee"...

st1264 06-20-2013 10:36 AM

I would never buy an extended warranty. If you consider it, take 2 hours and read the fine print. Yes, everything is negotiable. They dropped the price considerably when I kept saying NO.

Waste of money, but it's your Jeep. Massive markup in ex-warranties. Another way for the dealer to get your money. If you are borrowing, that's extra interest you are paying as well. Again, it's the buyers decision. Just look through the threads where Chrysler wouldn't fix people's problems under warranty, then decide.

Noble 06-20-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st1264
I would never buy an extended warranty. If you consider it, take 2 hours and read the fine print. Yes, everything is negotiable. They dropped the price considerably when I kept saying NO.

Waste of money, but it's your Jeep. Massive markup in ex-warranties. Another way for the dealer to get your money. If you are borrowing, that's extra interest you are paying as well. Again, it's the buyers decision. Just look through the threads where Chyrsler wouldn't fix people's problems under warranty, then decide.

I agree in some circumstances. The Mopar maximum care is the best service contract in the business. Most people dont understand the exclusions in service contracts so they get pissed off if its not covered. MAXCARE covers everything except wear items/maintenence items.
There are 2 kinds of people in a service department, pissed off people and people with maxcare coverage.
Just find your best deal.

CUL8R 06-20-2013 10:59 AM

I'd say you should do an online search for the same warranty. Some Mopar dealers offer extended warranties online at very resonable prices. You can print that out and get your dealer to price match. We usually don't buy extended warranties, but did do a lifetime warranty with our dealer on our 12 JKUR because they matched an online price we brought in. The price? The Mopar Lifetime warranty was less then what they are offering to extend your coverage. So shop around.

Jim

st1264 06-20-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noble (Post 3881304)
MAXCARE covers everything except wear items/maintenence items.

= most that will go wrong with your Wrangler isn't covered.

I wouldn't buy it, but others like to be 'safe' and pay through the nose to feel protected. $1500 buys a lot of repairs. Remember NO wear and tear or maintenance items are included. There's a big list somewhere if someone wants to post it.

I have a good friend who bought ex-warranty, paint protection, fabric protection, rust proofing (everything that was offered to him at full price)... cost him $4k or some ridiculous amount. I held my tongue when he told me :nonono:

Noble 06-20-2013 11:31 AM

Any engineer can tell you they design a product with a "planned obsolescence" policy. Meaning the product is designed for a certain life span. Anything beyond that is over engineering.
Its not just coincidence that things break just AFTER they go out of warranty.. Its happened to all of us.
Thats the beauty in Mopars 100% money back guarantee. Use it if you need it, if you dont use it they will refund 100% of the money you paid for it at the plans expiration.
Its a no brainer!! Imho

st1264 06-20-2013 12:36 PM

They offered me the same thing... money back if you don't use it. Still said NO. Not going to pay interest, taxes and extend my loan another $1500 on something I don't want or need, in my opinion.

Hey, if you have the money, buy it. I wanted my JKU at the lowest price possible and I got it. My 3yr bumper to bumper and 5yr Powertrain is good enough for me. If it breaks down, I'll fix it out of pocket... like the majority of the Wrangler repairs will be anyway - normal maintenance. Most defective parts are replaced in the first 3yrs anyway.

flomingo 06-20-2013 03:28 PM

I made the mistake of buying a 3rd party ex-warranty. I was ignorant at the time and thought it was the MOPAR ex-warranty. I read all through it once I got home and found that everything is covered except for the stuff listed in the "excluded" list. Turns out EVERYTHING was excluded! I promptly cancelled it, got my $1800 back, and applied it to the loan. At least I won't be paying interest on it!

Yahoomarine 06-20-2013 07:02 PM

I just paid a bit under $2,000 for lifetime maxcare. If you are going to keep the vehicle a long time spend $500 more and get it all.

As to the negotiable question, yes it is. I purchased my contract from Zeigler Chrysler in Michigan. We dickered on the phone a bit and I said I was ready to buy from the first dealer that would sell it for less than $2,000. I had 2 other legit quotes to reference which helped.

Rich

Noble 06-20-2013 08:37 PM

That is one one the best values in the car business!! Unlimited miles, unlimited years!! The only restriction is it is non transferable, and it the coverage will max out at the retail book value of the car at the time. One touchscreen or ecm/pcm going out and you are ahead! I sell them for $1985.00 all day long!

PJM86 06-20-2013 09:47 PM

Noble~

That is a solid price!

RoadiJeff 06-20-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noble (Post 3883624)
I sell them for $1985.00 all day long!

Contact info?

WhiskeyMike 06-20-2013 10:01 PM

Also consider what you are going to mod. What you mod or replace is typically not covered. If you are going to do a lot of mods, it diminishes the value.

PJM86 06-21-2013 08:53 PM

Noble~

Thanks again for all the help today!

Noble 06-21-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJM86
Noble~

Thanks again for all the help today!

Glad i could help. In your travels in your new 10th anniv. Rubicon, head up to MI and see our beautiful state! Great Jeep rides in the summer! Lake Michigan lakeshore and sand dunes are a great place to start!

fdelle 06-28-2013 04:09 PM

I live in Florida and the warranty prices are set by the state and the insurance industry. Mopar and my local Jeep dealership offered me a 6 year, 60,000 mile MaxCare extended warranty with a $100 deductible for $1489. But Mike Noble at Hayes Jeep in Michigan offered the same package, but with 70,000 miles for only $920. I called Mopar Vehicle Protection to verify I could buy the warranty in another state and be honored at my local dealership. I got an affirmative. Then I called Mike and bought it over the phone. Just logged into my profile at Jeep.com and the MaxCare plan is there and activated. Very happy with my decision and the savings. Also very happy dealing with Mike at Hayes Jeep. He's very professional and easy to work with.

motoringmike 06-29-2013 07:11 AM

I financed through USAA and got a 100,000 mile warranty through them (USAA) for $700. The dealership was not very happy when they they discovered that I had already came in with financing and a warranty that covered much more and cost much less than the one they were offering.

Shantar42 06-29-2013 07:25 AM

I have a silly question. My dealer too tried to sell us a max lifetime warranty. For about 4,000 on a 2013 we didn't end up buying. We ended up ordering a 2014 a week later. Do you need the vin to buy the warranty? I guess what I'm asking is can you buy the warranty before you have the vehicle? I'd like to go in with the financing and warranty all taken care of when we walk in to pick it up.

Hammer One 06-29-2013 08:17 AM

I have a 7 yr / 100000 mile ex warranty with zero deductible on my 13, anyone know what the cost of adding the lifetime to the package or if you can?

Thanks,

THW 06-29-2013 08:30 AM

To be honest, I sort of regret getting an extended warranty because now I'll spend the rest of my Jeep ownership worried that I can't mod it like I want to without risking a loss of coverage. If I could do it again I would just stick with the standard warranty, and then mod it however I want once that ran out.

RoadiJeff 06-29-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shantar42 (Post 3910780)
I'd like to go in with the financing and warranty all taken care of when we walk in to pick it up.

You can always purchase the lifetime warranty as long as the factory warranty is still in effect. No need to rush into everything the day you buy it. That way you can shop around and get the best price.

As was already mentioned, the Chrysler lifetime max care warranty can be found for less than $2,000.

Noble 06-29-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff

You can always purchase the lifetime warranty as long as the factory warranty is still in effect. No need to rush into everything the day you buy it. That way you can shop around and get the best price.

As was already mentioned, the Chrysler lifetime max care warranty can be found for less than $2,000.

There is a $150.00 up charge if you buy it beyond 12 months or 12k miles..

Yahoomarine 06-29-2013 02:58 PM

Fdelle: You wrote 'Just logged into my profile at Jeep.com and the MaxCare plan is there and activated.' I do not see that anywhere on my profile. Where exactly did you see a reference to your warranty coverage? When I log into jeep.com it sends me to the Chrysler site where I log in under the owners page. It basically has my name, address, local dealer and not much else.

Thanks, Rich

jeeptrail 06-29-2013 07:42 PM

The problem with warranty work, is that it pays about 50% less to the dealership/mechanic compared to customers paying out of pocket. So, the dealerships all try to avoid the work. They play ignorant of the problems to avoid doing anything; blame the problem on off-road abuse; make you wait days or weeks for parts; look for the problem but don't find it, and charge you the money to look, as problem wasn't diagnosed yet, and then covered under warranty.
I cancelled my warranty because I modded, plan to sell or trade in the jeep sooner than later, and after reading of the warranty problems others have had with dealerships, and the low pay rate for warranty work which Chrysler (and ALL companies pay the same low rates) allows.
If you mod even one thing in your powertrain, from tires back through to lift height, the warranty is void for all of the components that may be stressed differently from the mod.

THW 06-29-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeeptrail (Post 3912270)
The problem with warranty work, is that it pays about 50% less to the dealership/mechanic compared to customers paying out of pocket. So, the dealerships all try to avoid the work. They play ignorant of the problems to avoid doing anything; blame the problem on off-road abuse; make you wait days or weeks for parts; look for the problem but don't find it, and charge you the money to look, as problem wasn't diagnosed yet, and then covered under warranty.
I cancelled my warranty because I modded, plan to sell or trade in the jeep sooner than later, and after reading of the warranty problems others have had with dealerships, and the low pay rate for warranty work which Chrysler (and ALL companies pay the same low rates) allows.
If you mod even one thing in your powertrain, from tires back through to lift height, the warranty is void for all of the components that may be stressed differently from the mod.

How did you cancel? Did you get any refund?

aug0211 07-08-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noble (Post 3883624)
That is one one the best values in the car business!! Unlimited miles, unlimited years!! The only restriction is it is non transferable, and it the coverage will max out at the retail book value of the car at the time. One touchscreen or ecm/pcm going out and you are ahead! I sell them for $1985.00 all day long!

Hey Mike,

The unlimited/Max program is also refundable at the time of expiration if not used, correct? How does that work with the Max plan (which has no expiration)?

Also, do you offer the 0% financing on the Max plan?

Noble 07-10-2013 06:27 AM

There is a fully refundable plan if you do not use it AND you reach either the miles or the time limit. And mopar does a 12 or 18 month installment plan with zero interest.
The lifetime plan does not have a 100% refund since there is no expiration.

HoH-Jeeper 07-10-2013 08:28 AM

The lifetime/unlimited mileage warranty only caps at the current value of the vehicle. A few questions on this:

1. How do they determine the current value of the jeep?
2. Are the repairs cumulative or is it per repair. What I mean is if you had $10,000 worth of repairs over 10 years, and at year 11 the jeep is only valued at $10,000 and it breaks and needs a $500 fix, is the warranty over being I already had $10k in repairs or is it still good because the current repair is $500?
3. What happens when the cost of the repair is more than the value of the jeep. If it is worth $5,000 and the repair is $6,000, what will jeep do since your are past your warranty cap?

Noble 07-10-2013 10:45 AM

1. The current value is determined by NADA average retail at time of repair.
2. It is not a cumulative total.
3. Mopar will make a claim up to the current retail value. Id you have a $6000.00 repair and the value is $5000.00 , you will get $5000.00 in reimbursements.
Hope this helps...