Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Help! TBI? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/help-tbi-250582.html)

Teena 06-20-2013 10:07 AM

Help! TBI?

4 Attachment(s)
So, don't laugh at me guys! Here's what happened. My YJ wouldn't start one day and a guy came over (I was at a store) and took the cover off and jiggled what I think? is the TBI? Told me it was stuck, put cover back on and she started right up. But..... I told my neighbor and when I wasn't home he came over and sprayed with carb cleaner, then it was worse! I did some reading and found out that one does not use carb cleaner so I got some sensor cleaner but it is still sticking so I am thinking I have to take apart and clean, with starter fluid I read? Also, she is now idling very high and I am wondering if the vacumn hoses are in wrong place (neighbor also, they weren't attached anywhere so he attached them to what may have been random places?) Again, don't laugh! I am trying to do what I can myself as I can't afford nor do I trust garages with my baby. I'm attaching pics hoping someone can guide me, I can do it myself if someone tells me what to. Forgot, 90 YJ

jokerchief462 06-20-2013 11:45 AM

Ok no problem lots of help here. What do you want to know how to do to the TBI?

You can get a gasket kit remove it disassemble clean and reassemble. It's not that scary. Usually needs to soak overnight brush anything left over and blow dry with air.

Let us know we can get you through this with common hand tools but you may have some wait time for parts if needed

Teena 06-20-2013 12:03 PM

Thank you, it's pretty obvious it needs cleaning, a lot of carbon build up. I looked for kits and I'm pretty sure I can do that. So, what is causing it to idle so high? Is it the because TBI is dirty or is it vacuum hoses/lines? It didn't do that before neighbor messed w it.

Teena 06-20-2013 12:42 PM

I took cover off and sprayed her down good w sensor cleaner, lines, everything, started right up and running normal? Good til I get kit & rebuild before taking a road trip
TY jokerchief462 :)

Double1a90 06-20-2013 12:59 PM

Yeah the rebuild kit works wonders. My 90 was doing the same thing and I got the rebuild kit, new injector, tps sensor, and vacuum lines all at once, turned it on and it now runs smoother than my wifes new Maxima!

I probably didn't need to replace all of that for just the TBI itself acting up but in the end I would say it is definitely worth it.

1fun89YJ 06-20-2013 01:09 PM

Where did you get the rebuild kit?

Double1a90 06-20-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1fun89YJ (Post 3881864)
Where did you get the rebuild kit?

Autozone - GP Sorensen Kit 45 dollars. It comes with all the gaskets and O-Rings and Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Injector was BWD I will have to find the part number again, and I just went with the Duralast TPS from autozone.

Xpress 06-20-2013 09:26 PM

With the 2.5L TBI models (1987-1990) the only real reason why they will idle high is either from one of the coolant temperature sensors not giving off the correct reading (too cold, still in open loop/warmup mode) or from a vacuum leak. There's no real sensors inside of the throttle body, it relies on a small actuator pushing on the throttle body valve to control the idle.

A rebuild kit would never be a bad idea, would replace leaking seals.

1fun89YJ 06-21-2013 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double1a90 (Post 3881908)

Autozone - GP Sorensen Kit 45 dollars. It comes with all the gaskets and O-Rings and Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Injector was BWD I will have to find the part number again, and I just went with the Duralast TPS from autozone.

Thanks!

Teena 06-21-2013 12:37 PM

Funny thing is it starts right up when cold and gives me a hard time in warmer weather. Hopefully when I rebuild it will be fine. If not I'll ck that sensor too, as well as lines (I probably replace all those too but would think that was done when I bought it 4 yrs ago from a dealer?, yeah, right!)

Double1a90 06-21-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teena (Post 3885785)
Funny thing is it starts right up when cold and gives me a hard time in warmer weather. Hopefully when I rebuild it will be fine. If not I'll ck that sensor too, as well as lines (I probably replace all those too but would think that was done when I bought it 4 yrs ago from a dealer?, yeah, right!)

:rofl: Dealer Don't care.
Just to touch on what Xpress said a few other people told me the same thing and I went through and checked those things. When I determined they were all operating properly that is when I went to the rebuild kit. So it would be a good thing to take a look around before really digging in, but in the end the rebuild will probably help a bunch either way.