Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   sudden sagging 3 wks later (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/sudden-sagging-3-wks-later-250635.html)

brianb 06-20-2013 02:20 PM

sudden sagging 3 wks later
 
Anybody had this happen? Put a 2.5" teraflex on 3 weeks ago, was nice and level, now there is a .75" on the drivers side and about 1 1/8" on the passenger side rear, lower than the front. 30 psi in all 4 tires. Would not have thought that after 3 weeks that the rear would sag like it has done.

brianb 06-20-2013 03:13 PM

What's the chances I got some bad springs? This is quite aggravating to me!!!

OffRoadCam09 06-20-2013 03:25 PM

It's a possibility or the wrong ones. I hope this would not be the case since I just purchased this kit as well. Did you make sure to loosen everything up before swapping springs an shocks?

Thomas Roy 06-20-2013 03:27 PM

I'd get a call off to Tereflex...they're great folks to work with

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianb (Post 3882354)
What's the chances I got some bad springs? This is quite aggravating to me!!!


n3tfury 06-20-2013 03:48 PM

That's what they're there for. Get a hold of their customer service.

TeraFlex 06-20-2013 03:53 PM

Post some pictures. Chances are high you may just be getting the JK lean. Remember also that when springs are new they are going to sit high. Once they begin to settle they will "shrink" but the lift should never "sink" below 2.5" on a 2.5" kit.

brianb 06-20-2013 04:31 PM

Driver front 40 1/8
Passenger front 39 1/2
Driver rear 39
Passenger rear 38 3/4"
Measurements were on level concrete measured in same spot on all corners with a level.

brianb 06-20-2013 04:33 PM

I measured from the ground up the center of the wheel to the bottom of the flares.

OffRoadCam09 06-20-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianb (Post 3882656)
I measured from the ground up the center of the wheel to the bottom of the flares.

It sounds like what teraflex was saying you are experiencing the jk lean since most of your "sagging" is passenger related

TeraFlex 06-20-2013 04:56 PM

While bad springs do happen my first inclination is to look at the lean. The front to rear differences happen from the shape of the fenders. The left to right difference is def. in line with the dreaded JK lean. Unfortunately there isn't a solid way to fix this as there are so many factors that go into the lean, the largest of which is the gas tank.

kjeeper10 06-20-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeraFlex (Post 3882728)
While bad springs do happen my first inclination is to look at the lean. The front to rear differences happen from the shape of the fenders. The left to right difference is def. in line with the dreaded JK lean. Unfortunately there isn't a solid way to fix this as there are so many factors that go into the lean, the largest of which is the gas tank.

This ^

Flint_Holbrook 06-20-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeraFlex (Post 3882509)
Post some pictures. Chances are high you may just be getting the JK lean. Remember also that when springs are new they are going to sit high. Once they begin to settle they will "shrink" but the lift should never "sink" below 2.5" on a 2.5" kit.

I don't agree that springs "settle" if they do they should not be springs. Springs wear and can become worn due to use and repeatedly overloaded.

These springs are compression springs and usually behave by Hooke's law if they are linear springs. F=K(x). There is no factor here for "settle".

A non linear spring has a non linear load displacement function. Where the spring rate or constant is set by the pitch and wire diameter and spacing of the coils. There is no "settle" factor.

By definition they are a mechanical device that provides a resistance force to compression or tension, depending on the type, and return to their original shape and length when the force is removed. Again, as defined they do not "settle".

kjeeper10 06-20-2013 05:23 PM

:popcorn:

brianb 06-22-2013 01:46 PM

I guess my question should be, should my ass end be 1" lower than my front end after the 2.5" coil lift. I re measured and its very close left to right, its within 1/8". Drove it for the first time in the dark since the lift this morning, and the low beams are in the trees. It sat a lot more level 3 weeks ago. Before the lift the rake was in the front after the lift it has the rear rake. Everything I have read said the lift that I chose would level the jeep. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but, Wth...

Vin 06-22-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianb (Post 3888779)
I guess my question should be, should my ass end be 1" lower than my front end after the 2.5" coil lift. I re measured and its very close left to right, its within 1/8". Drove it for the first time in the dark since the lift this morning, and the low beams are in the trees. It sat a lot more level 3 weeks ago. Before the lift the rake was in the front after the lift it has the rear rake. Everything I have read said the lift that I chose would level the jeep. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but, Wth...


Yes, I noticed this also with my last rig. They (the various forums) called it reverse lean or reverse rake where your rig looks like it's sitting as a dog would. I have heard aftermarket companies set their springs so the front is higher to accomodate winches and heavier bumpers. You may also just be used to seeing your Jeep leaning forward with the traditional JK rake, which is why companies came out with leveling kits.


If it really bothers you, you could add some rear leveling pucks.

Throw some pics up.

J33P4M3 06-22-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vin (Post 3888885)
Yes, I noticed this also with my last rig. They (the various forums) called it reverse lean or reverse rake where your rig looks like it's sitting as a dog would. I have heard aftermarket companies set their springs so the front is higher to accomodate winches and heavier bumpers. You may also just be used to seeing your Jeep leaning forward with the traditional JK rake, which is why companies came out with leveling kits.


If it really bothers you, you could add some rear leveling pucks.

Throw some pics up.

I REALLY hope my TF 2.5" lift on my 13 JKUR doesnt make my Jeep nose high... I'll probably wind up taking it off if it does and returning it.

brianb 06-22-2013 02:52 PM

I just wanted to be assured that it was normal. If so I will be putting some spacers in next week when I add the 1.25 inch bodylift.

kbwwolf 06-22-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianb (Post 3888927)
I just wanted to be assured that it was normal. If so I will be putting some spacers in next week when I add the 1.25 inch bodylift.

1.25" body lift? On a JK? Don't do it, man...

Vin 06-22-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J33P4M3 (Post 3888921)
I REALLY hope my TF 2.5" lift on my 13 JKUR doesnt make my Jeep nose high... I'll probably wind up taking it off if it does and returning it.

Take a look at other rigs posted here. That's what you will end up with.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...13914912_n.jpg

brianb 06-22-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 3888957)

1.25" body lift? On a JK? Don't do it, man...

Why not? I'm not a big fan of bodylifts either, but only an inch and a quarter I think it would look good.

kbwwolf 06-22-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianb (Post 3888994)
Why not? I'm not a big fan of bodylifts either, but only an inch and a quarter I think it would look good.

If you have a manual trans, that high a BL will almost surely cause a problem when you shift into even gears. Plus, IMO, on a JK it's just plain hideous.

See these:

Problem shifting after installing 2.5" Coil lift kit & 1" Body Lift.
Body lift question
Read this if you're tacking on the 1.25" to a lift: How high can i go?

J33P4M3 06-22-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vin (Post 3888979)
Take a look at other rigs posted here. That's what you will end up with.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...13914912_n.jpg

that looks perfectly fine to me

brianb 06-22-2013 04:21 PM

The reason for wanting the body lift was to get a little more clearance. I wish I would have went a lil bigger on the lift. Its an auto so my wife doesn't have to worry about loosing gears, we are only talking about an inch, I think a 3" bl would look like crap, but 1" cant be bad, I'm gonna search for pics.
I'm 6'3 @ 240 and I got on the front bumper and its still nose high. I have an email into tf to see if this is norm for my jeep to be dragging its ass, lol. If it is should I go with .5" spacers, .75 or 1.0" spacers?

n00g7 06-22-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint_Holbrook (Post 3882835)
I don't agree that springs "settle" if they do they should not be springs. Springs wear and can become worn due to use and repeatedly overloaded.

These springs are compression springs and usually behave by Hooke's law if they are linear springs. F=K(x). There is no factor here for "settle".

A non linear spring has a non linear load displacement function. Where the spring rate or constant is set by the pitch and wire diameter and spacing of the coils. There is no "settle" factor.

By definition they are a mechanical device that provides a resistance force to compression or tension, depending on the type, and return to their original shape and length when the force is removed. Again, as defined they do not "settle".

Kudos on digging out the HS physics book, but those equations are all for "ideal" components, which you will not find in real life. If everything worked according to hooks law there would be no need for replacement springs.

The facts of life are:
1) springs can be over compressed or tensioned
2) metal fatigues
3) the base and top of the spring aren't "springs" per say, so that portion may deform (read: flatten to the perch) and cause the spring to shorten.

J33P4M3 06-22-2013 04:29 PM

Brian, can you post pictures?

michiganadam 06-22-2013 04:36 PM

What is the jk lean? This is the first time i have ever heard of this. Why would a side to side lean ever be normal?

I have a reverse rake on my JK. I hate it. I don't know what lift kit i have though, was planning on going to a 4" lift in the near future to fix it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 3888957)
1.25" body lift? On a JK? Don't do it, man...

I had a dealership that used to be a jeep dealer until a couple of years ago (but all the same people still work there, even though its a mazda dealer now), tell me that i "only" had a suspension lift and that i should "upgrade" to a big body lift. :doh: :) I was seriously looking into a 1 inch body lift to improve clearance though. With a 4 inch spring lift and a 1 inch body lift would have 5 inches of lift.

brianb 06-22-2013 04:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Front.

Attachment 264525

michiganadam 06-22-2013 04:44 PM

Rear?

brianb 06-22-2013 04:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rear
Attachment 264529

kbwwolf 06-22-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michiganadam (Post 3889113)
What is the jk lean? This is the first time i have ever heard of this. Why would a side to side lean ever be normal?

I have a reverse rake on my JK. I hate it. I don't know what lift kit i have though, was planning on going to a 4" lift in the near future to fix it.



I had a dealership that used to be a jeep dealer until a couple of years ago (but all the same people still work there, even though its a mazda dealer now), tell me that i "only" had a suspension lift and that i should "upgrade" to a big body lift. :doh: :) I was seriously looking into a 1 inch body lift to improve clearance though. With a 4 inch spring lift and a 1 inch body lift would have 5 inches of lift.

A body lift can do what you want...within reason. To me, they don't look good on a JK, and they carry a risk beyond a certain height.

I understand the reasoning for them, but wouldn't install one on my Jeep. My advice: buy a lift that puts your Jeep where you want it to be in the first place...

To my mind, if you bought a lift, and subsequently want more height, you either didn't do your homework, or you're just going by dick length. Neither of which is good.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 PM.