Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Colorado Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/)
-   -   Sidewinder and Holy Cross (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/sidewinder-and-holy-cross-250701.html)

tim87tr 06-20-2013 07:22 PM

Sidewinder and Holy Cross

I just got into town and had planned for Sidewinder on saturday 6/22 and holy cross on sunday 6/23. I met a few of you last fall, Tim with the red 2 dr JK. It's a little ambitious but trails I'd like to try.

I thought 10a meet for both at the parking areas on the trail. I firgured I'd mention where I'd be and if anyone wanted to come along they could. I planned these two harder trails on a weekend so I could be sure to travel with a group and figured there would be others out there even if people I met last year couldn't make it. I plan to head over to kremmling sometime tomorrow and will look for a camping spot at Williams Peak road.

Justin04Lj 06-20-2013 07:29 PM

Wish I could. Work sucks. Good to see you're back.

Colo-TJ 06-20-2013 07:46 PM

Have a blast Tim. I would but it's just a little far for me this weekend. Looks like I will make Ouray on the 4th-7th. I'll see ya if you make that one.

tim87tr 06-20-2013 07:53 PM

Justin whenever you're not working and you want to do a trail let me know.

Chad that's good you can make it to Ouray, I'd read you couldn't go. Yes I'd like to catch up with the group headed there. I should be down I the BV/st elmo area for some trails later next week and could catch the Ouray group headed over. I will moniter the Ouray thread.

Justin04Lj 06-20-2013 07:56 PM

I'll be on that trip Tim. So we'll definitely wheel again. I want to do black bear if you're in?

tim87tr 06-20-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin04Lj (Post 3883480)
I'll be on that trip Tim. So we'll definitely wheel again. I want to do black bear if you're in?

If its dry I'd consider it.

tim87tr 06-21-2013 12:53 PM

I'm getting ready to head over to Kremmling area and camping at williams peak road. I may go look at/locate sidewinder if I have time. I did barbour fork this morning. Nobody on the trail except a couple guys in a Jeep shooting near the end of the loop.

tim87tr 06-21-2013 05:58 PM

Found some good camping areas past the fire tower on williams peak road. There's a few people here with the foam slope gliders and there is an event tomorrow.

If anyone is able to do sidewinder tomorrow post up here. Tim

RockCrawlerHULK 06-22-2013 12:43 AM

I'm not gonna be able to make this unfortunately but if you get a chance to get some videos of sidewinder let me know where you post them. I've only seen one video of this trail.

tim87tr 06-22-2013 10:32 AM

I will get video if some forum members or wknd people show up. I just drove over the guardian at the start and up to the first RR tie obstacle and it will take a high line on the ties on driver side to keep the passenger side from dragging....mine started too and I backed off. I walked to look at the next obstacle, a second RR tie wall and with a driver high line on it one could miss the big rock of the passenger side.

Williams peak road just south of here is a good place to camp out for local trails. It was windy up there last night at 10,500 ft

RockCrawlerHULK 06-24-2013 10:11 AM

How was sidewinder?

tim87tr 06-24-2013 01:42 PM

It is brutal. I only did about half and turned back. Solid 9 trail. I just came down off wheeler lake trail and headed back into Breckenridge to the brewery and will post a trail report here on sidewinde and holy cross, and a new thread for wheeler lake. If anyone is off work today swing by to say hi. Tim

Colo-TJ 06-24-2013 02:23 PM

I love Wheeler.....did you get to the lake? last report I heard was that there was still a little too much snow at Bowling Ball Hill. but that was a couple of weeks go.

tim87tr 06-24-2013 02:44 PM

Trail report: I got to sidewinder early and walked it to look it over and take pictures. Eventually a highly modified Jeep and buggy on 37s arrived on a trailer. I tagged along and made it over halfway to where there is a fork and what they call the easy way out...to the left. I was going to exit there and skip the right fork up the ravine with large rocks. I didn't because the left "easy" way out had three huge rock obstacles and was very steep after. I turned around and headed back to the start which was not any easier at all....I barely made it. I wanted to see what a 9 trail was and learned a lot about my abilities and my Jeep. I have a two door six speed 2010 red rubicon on 33s, skids, bumpers, fenders and stock suspension. Unlike Spring creek which I did last fall without any problem yet it recommends lockers and 35s, sidewinder needs that at an absolute minimum. Body damage very possible...yes please I received some..lol. This trail makes me think about beadlocks and a lift. I rebalanced my wheels by grinding down the wheel weights:). Definitely need more clearance too as that was my biggest problem.

On holy cross I made up the second steep obstacle before french creek and decided the "easy" line up it wasn't something I saw a good line on. That steep obstacle was probably my toughest yet in the last two years Ive had my Jeep. I drug my skids l the way up leaving sparking flakes of aluninum. I was with a group that ranged from side by sides to a full buggy on huge tires. I parked and rode up to hold cross city in a 4 seat razor. It got late and we didn't go up to cleveland rock and we headed back down. I don't have access to a computer here or at home (no good internet where i live in Illinois) or I'd post my pictures on photobucket. Tim

tim87tr 06-24-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colo-TJ (Post 3894631)
I love Wheeler.....did you get to the lake? last report I heard was that there was still a little too much snow at Bowling Ball Hill. but that was a couple of weeks go.

Chad I got to bowling ball but didn't want to do that alone as it had a lot of water coming down it and was soft, a bad place to be in trouble without a winch point. But i didnt see snow there. The trail was beautiful and had increasing amounts of melt runoff on the way up. I'm glad I ran up to that point even if I didn't get to see tbe lake. I got some great pictures.

Colo-TJ 06-24-2013 03:13 PM

Here is what you missed.
:D
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/...ke7-112077.jpg
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/...ke7-112078.jpg
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/...ke7-112085.jpg