Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Rustoleum - Neverwet discussion thread (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/rustoleum-neverwet-discussion-thread-250702.html)

KurtVW 06-20-2013 07:22 PM

Rustoleum - Neverwet discussion thread

I was asked to create a separate thread where folks could discuss this stuff... I seem to be the first of it with a can in hand.

First of all for those of you that have no idea what I'm talking about.. Watch this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=hoKXTlqmUb8

The first question I was asked is - "Does it perform as advertised"

Using a piece of solid Formica as my test, I can tell you YES... It is exactly as repellent as all the videos claim.

Why did I use solid formica? Because I had a chunk, and I'm curious if I can coat my sink with the stuff and never have hard cleaning again (my sink is the same material).

This way I can test its durability to detergents and kitchen abuse before I put it in my sink.. Those tests are forthcoming...

HOWEVER... I can tell you that based on what I saw with this sample piece, I am definitely going to try undercoating the non-hot items under my Jeep as I am confident it will help to fight mud build up (it dropped honey mustard sauce as if it was a BB. It just rolled up and fell off).

That's what I personally know so far...

OH, and NO, you can't use it on your windshield like RainX, it has a definite fog to it and an odd texture... I would not be in a hurry to use it over my jeep body paint either.

That's all for now - post your experiences as you acquire your cans!

Justdoit2 06-20-2013 07:25 PM

I am thinking of testing it on some old seat covers I have that don't fit my new jeep 2 door. I am still using the front seats so will test the back first off the jeep and see what it does to the fabric. Will test this weekend and post the results.

Thanks for starting this thread. From the video, this stuff looks amazing!

kjeeper10 06-20-2013 07:26 PM

Awesome :thumb:

I would like to try on my wheels

KurtVW 06-20-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justdoit2 (Post 3883326)

Thanks for starting this thread. From the video, this stuff looks amazing!

you're welcome...

As far as the seat covers, the only thing that might be a problem is that it has a kinda chalky texture, it might feel a little like its clinging to your clothes.... However, you can remove it with mineral spirits (according to instructions) so I guess there is no harm trying it.

KurtVW 06-20-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3883328)

Yes, I'm thinking that also... I think for wheels and underside, its going to be really helpful.

NFRs2000NYC 06-20-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3883328)

While this would be awesome, me thinks corrosive brake dust will chew right through this stuff....however, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to be wrong about that.

kjeeper10 06-20-2013 07:31 PM

People mention seat covers/interior etc ?

The water needs to go somewhere right ?
Maybe not on the seat or in the carpet. It won't have a place to go.... That's my only concern if even one :confused:

GoldenSahara00 06-20-2013 07:35 PM

See ultra ever dry water proofing. Same thing. Maybe a little more info on application out there.

KurtVW 06-20-2013 07:36 PM

My concern with it so far is that it seems to be extremely sensitive to any scrubbing (at least when its fresh). In all fairness the manufacturer says to give it 12 hours to come up to full cure - I didn't.

My Formica tile is coated on both sides, and I lightly did one side with a scotchbrite pad and that side lost a lot of its effectiveness. I'm going to do the same to the other side tomorrow.

None of that matters for the undercoat discussion, but it might matter for the wheels discussion - I'll drop a line about that tomorrow.

wat3rdog 06-20-2013 07:37 PM

Interesting

n3tfury 06-20-2013 08:55 PM

Someone try it on their seats with your Jeep naked and see if you stay in the vehicle around a hard corner.

pepatrick 06-20-2013 09:00 PM

Im gonna say its meant to displace water...not butts.

JKASS 06-20-2013 09:09 PM

From what I've seen and read online there are apparently two versions available, one specifically for cloth type material. The other, which I believe you have is like a paint-ish type stuff.

KurtVW 06-20-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKASS (Post 3883753)
From what I've seen and read online there are apparently two versions available, one specifically for cloth type material. The other, which I believe you have is like a paint-ish type stuff.

This one is for 'multi material' as I remember on the box (its in the garage).. I am not aware of a fabric version that is available to the public.... If so, yes, I'd want that.

THW 06-20-2013 10:02 PM

Durability is going to be an issue with this stuff- I don't see why (or how) it would adhere to a surface any better than standard oil-based spray paint. You could spray paint your underbody to protect your frame from rust, and some people do- most don't because we know it won't be long before general road wear strips most of it off. Why would this stuff be different?

wat3rdog 06-20-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THW (Post 3883949)
Durability is going to be an issue with this stuff- I don't see why (or how) it would adhere to a surface any better than standard oil-based spray paint. You could spray paint your underbody to protect your frame from rust, and some people do- most don't because we know it won't be long before general road wear strips most of it off. Why would this stuff be different?

$3.99 for some flat black to spray the underbelly. I always have a few cans and its no big deal to spray and inspect underneath.

thetrifakta 06-20-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n3tfury (Post 3883693)
Someone try it on their seats with your Jeep naked and see if you stay in the vehicle around a hard corner.

lmao, subscribed!
I had posted a video about this in the "what did you do to your JK today" a few days back. I first saw it on "break.com". I want some!!!! :punk:

KurtVW 06-20-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THW (Post 3883949)

I think you're missing the point - I'm not interested in it for corrosion resistance.

I'm interested in it because less crap sticks to the truck which means there is less for me to wash out later.

I already have an undercoat - what I want to do is make it easier to clean.

wat3rdog 06-20-2013 10:23 PM

Super wax

Dusthol 06-20-2013 10:59 PM

Subscribed. For interest sake

Lusus_Naturae 06-20-2013 11:12 PM

I'm wondering if this is a commercialized for public version of Ultra Ever Dry. I looked at UED a few months ago and thought about ordering it through my company because it's commercial use only - this looking like it might be promising if it holds up.

Here's a link to UED - they use the same gloves demo, and work boots demo in their video too. Ultra Ever Dry - Waterproofing Coating - Industrial - Tools - Clothing

laollis 06-20-2013 11:43 PM

I'm gonna try it.

Hawaii 5-0 06-21-2013 12:38 AM

Subscribed

paleh0rse 06-21-2013 12:53 AM

I looked into this stuff a few months ago, and the company that invented it claimed at the time that they're close to perfecting a fully transparent version with the same level of effectiveness.

If they ever do release a clear version, I'm going to cover my whole damn Jeep with it! :D

IORRichie 06-21-2013 08:29 AM

Subscribed

yellowtailfan 06-21-2013 09:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Soft top / Fenders .?.?. The birds will be so pissed when their poo doesn't stick! Mud wont be happy either. :D

:popcorn:

Attachment 264143

HMMMMMM. ^^^. :)

paleh0rse 06-21-2013 10:25 AM

Since it goes on with a cloudy haze, I wouldn't want to use it anywhere that is easily visible (unless the surface is already white, of course).

If anything, I'll try it on my under-carriage.

coastiejohn 06-21-2013 12:14 PM

A reviewer on home depot web sight posted a pic of a black mail box he did and it looked milky blue. Even with the discoloration I will coat my winch.

laollis 06-21-2013 03:18 PM

Just tried to order and got this message:
Your shopping cart contains item(s) which are no longer available online. Please remove all unavailable items from your cart.
FREE Shipping on eligible items. See Details
Ship To Home or Pick Up In Store Unit PriceQuantityItem Total
Rust-Oleum Stops Rust 18 oz. NeverWet Multi-Purpose Spray Kit

Gkarshens 06-22-2013 01:17 PM

Very interested in trying this out. Thanks for starting this thread!