Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Maximum Water Depth.... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/maximum-water-depth-250769.html)

NYJETS 06-21-2013 06:36 AM

Maximum Water Depth....

Did a search but could not find the answer. What is the maximum water depth a stock JKU with 17"rims can ford through safely? I live in an area that floods alot and was just curious if a lift is really needed. If there is a thread already please attach it.

Also anyone notice the 4X4 gear shifter making a buzzing noise from the handle rattling against the plastic track guide? Dont hear it with radio on but just abit annoying when it is off.

dpostman 06-21-2013 06:44 AM

My manual says 30" at slow speed.

EDIT: (Sahara with 18")

Mindlesschunk 06-21-2013 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYJETS (Post 3884728)
Did a search but could not find the answer. What is the maximum water depth a stock JKU with 17"rims can ford through safely? I live in an area that floods alot and was just curious if a lift is really needed. If there is a thread already please attach it.

Also anyone notice the 4X4 gear shifter making a buzzing noise from the handle rattling against the plastic track guide? Dont hear it with radio on but just abit annoying when it is off.

Yes!! My Tj does that it's SO annoying. I think it's the head.. I'm gonna get replacing the knob

FIREMEDIC82 06-21-2013 06:55 AM

I just gotta throw this in here being a firefighter/emt.... turn around don't drown. If you are out wheelin, then its fine. But you never know if the road is washed out!

vacca foeda 06-21-2013 07:04 AM

Ditto on the 30". As long as the water isn't over the tires, you should most likely be good. Make sure you go slow! Also, if you have a manual, don't press your clutch while in water.

FIREMEDIC82 06-21-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vacca foeda (Post 3884776)
Ditto on the 30". As long as the water isn't over the tires, you should most likely be good. Make sure you go slow! Also, if you have a manual, don't press your clutch while in water.

This might be an extremely stupid question...but why?

corvallisbattery 06-21-2013 07:26 AM

Water, dirt and other contaminates are introduced into the clutch friction disk. If it doesn't kill your throwout bearing... it will make short work of your friction material

Jared66 06-21-2013 08:23 AM

The jku has its rear diff breather attached to the bottom of the back wheel well liner. If water reaches top of tires you'll be pullin your cover unless you relocate it

rgarrison3 06-21-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FIREMEDIC82 (Post 3884795)
This might be an extremely stupid question...but why?

Because something could wedge itself between the plates as the manual trans has a open hole in the bottom. :)

NYJETS 06-21-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jared66 (Post 3884950)
The jku has its rear diff breather attached to the bottom of the back wheel well liner. If water reaches top of tires you'll be pullin your cover unless you relocate it

The what???

WhiskeyMike 06-21-2013 08:53 AM

The diff he mentions is the pumpkin ball in the middle of the axle which has your differential gears. Your axles have black hoses coming out of them to let gases in/out. They are hung in your fender wells to keep them above water. But if you are crossing water, you should add a couple feet of hos to extend them and tuck them away higher than your fender. There is a great write up with pictures on this forum showing you how. Just search for breather and it should come up.

Jared66 06-21-2013 08:57 AM

As oil expands and contracts in your diffs. The air needs to have a place to go. There is a black hose that comes off the top of the shaft and in the back, goes up to the back side of your back right wheel well. I forget where the front runs. I'd have to go look. Along with your tranny breather and I believe your transfer case too. . They no likey water. Extend them up In to the interior or top of engine bay for deeper fording. Grab your skateboard and roll on under your jeep and do some exploring. Get to know her like that dirty girlfriend you had back in high school. Lol

NYJETS 06-21-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiskeyMike (Post 3885026)
The diff he mentions is the pumpkin ball in the middle of the axle which has your differential gears. Your axles have black hoses coming out of them to let gases in/out. They are hung in your fender wells to keep them above water. But if you are crossing water, you should add a couple feet of hos to extend them and tuck them away higher than your fender. There is a great write up with pictures on this forum showing you how. Just search for breather and it should come up.

Ahhhh... thanks.. new to all this and trying to learn as much as possible.... I guess as long as the water does not hit the top of the wheel well and I make no shifts while in the water I should be good.....

megax05 06-21-2013 09:25 AM

Just for fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPTr...e_gdata_player

Rooster76 06-21-2013 09:42 AM

My t-case shifter doesn't rattle.

I did a write-up on extending your breathers. It cost less than $20 to do the axles. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/ext...se-185089.html

If you have a stick shift don't use the clutch if water is above the bottom of the tub. You can start without clutching in 4-low if need be.

Your main concern with water is hydro locking the engine. It only takes about a cup of water into the into the engine for that to happen. Water can come in via the air intake. There are some drain holes in the bottom of the air box if just a splash gets in. If your the type that likes to make huge splashes going fast, then you need a snorkel, and preferably you should turn the air ram backwards first. 6" of water could be too deep if your going fast. If your going as slow as possible, as fast as necessary(SIDE NOTE: There are some killer camel trophy videos on youTube. They use that expression quite often. http://youtu.be/UGWp8R-IqoE ), then you should be good with a bit of water over your tires.

http://rileyid.com/randy/JK/Engine/E...abledFront.jpg

mgola27 06-21-2013 09:44 AM

All advice given is good, especially FIREMEDIC82's advice.

That said, assuming you don't want to lift, you could get a snorkel which effectively relocates your air intake to above the hood (on the cowl), or over the windshield.

You certainly don't want water flowing over your fender and into the engine (the air intake is right over the passenger side fender).

Stay safe in the water. Things can get bad really fast. Not speaking from experience, thankfully, but I've seen/read some crazy stuff.

WatchThis! 06-21-2013 09:47 AM

I am scratching my head trying to figure out what size rims you have has to do with any of this.

Rooster76 06-21-2013 09:48 AM

This is a manual trans below. See the part labeled vent on the transmission. That is what stops you from being able to clutch on deep water. If you look in there you be staring right at the flywheel. There is also a vent on the top. You cannot plug them.

http://rileyid.com/randy/JK/Labled_U...age_Labled.jpg

Rooster76 06-21-2013 09:54 AM

I would check out this thread.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/how...le-241948.html

It has a few videos to check out, a picture of a snorkel, what to do after hydro locking, etc.

NYJETS 06-21-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchThis! (Post 3885234)
I am scratching my head trying to figure out what size rims you have has to do with any of this.

I believe that the Saharas and Rubi's come with 18" rims and am assuming it makes the rig sit up 1" more than the sport with 17". I could be wrong though not an expert by any means.

Duckquackers 06-21-2013 10:06 AM

J E T S it would sit them about .5" above but even at that check your good ole Jeep book and I believe they say around 30". I haven't gone to deep but I will tell you I thankfully made it out of some gunk that was half way up my spare tire. Currently sitting on 37" with 4" lift.

mgola27 06-21-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYJETS (Post 3885290)
I believe that the Saharas and Rubi's come with 18" rims and am assuming it makes the rig sit up 1" more than the sport with 17". I could be wrong though not an expert by any means.

It's not the rim so much as the tire. the 17 inch Sport S/Rubicon rims have about 32" tires. The 18 inch Sahara has a 32 inch tire. No real height difference.

255/75R17 = 32.1"
255/70R18 = 32.1"

You can put 35 inch tires on a 17 inch rim or a 15 inch rim and your ground clearance will be the same.

l2abbit 06-21-2013 10:43 AM

My dealership told me me that the trail badge line is the max water line? Any truth to that or is it just shenanigans?

All I know is
http://www.thejeepgeek.com/home/Blog...il_Rating.html

positrak 06-21-2013 10:47 AM

Jeep JK in water - YouTube

WatchThis! 06-21-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l2abbit (Post 3885416)
My dealership told me me that the trail badge line is the max water line? Any truth to that or is it just shenanigans?

All I know is
http://www.thejeepgeek.com/home/Blog...il_Rating.html

I don't remember how high they are since I pulled mine off a long time ago. But I am sure it is wayy to high. Arnt they close to the bottom of the hood or something close to that. If not I know it was higher then the bottom of the doors, wich is the point that I start getting worried when in water.

WatchThis! 06-21-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by positrak (Post 3885428)

Fender deep with a stock setup is just asking for trouble. What if you hit a spot that is only 3 or 4 more inches deeper? You can find people snorting cinnamon, kicking eachother in the nuts, hitting eachother with hammers, and eating zit puss on YouTube. That doesn't mean it s a good idea to do it.

l2abbit 06-21-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchThis! (Post 3885475)

Fender deep with a stock setup is just asking for trouble. What if you hit a spot that is only 3 or 4 more inches deeper? You can find people snorting cinnamon, kicking eachother in the nuts, hitting eachother with hammers, and eating zit puss on YouTube. That doesn't mean it s a good idea to do it.

Agreed I don't plan on going over 35"s ever

NFRs2000NYC 06-21-2013 11:20 AM

Curious as to why no one every made a "screen" or something for the manual tranny holes? The water itself doesn't cause damage (clutch works the same way brakes do) but the crap in the water....if you can filter the water before it enters the clutch area, you would be fine. Seems like an easy enough project no?

dpostman 06-21-2013 11:35 AM

Ground Clearance:
2013 Sahara & Rubicon both have stock 10.5 inches of ground clearance because of the 32" wheel size

2013 Sport have 9.1 inches of ground Clearance. Stock tire size is just above 29"

So just slightly less water depth in sport. Measurable but negligible in real life.

I will not be testing it (At least not on purpose).

Rooster76 06-21-2013 12:39 PM

Covering the Manual's Vent

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 3885556)
Curious as to why no one every made a "screen" or something for the manual trany holes? The water itself doesn't cause damage (clutch works the same way brakes do) but the crap in the water....if you can filter the water before it enters the clutch area, you would be fine. Seems like an easy enough project no?

From reading through a bunch of threads the best guess for the hole seems to be to let heat out, but also to let the clutch dust out. It seems like any effort to put a screen that would be tight woven enough to remove mud and grit, would not let the clutch dust out. There was a huge thread I read on a Canadian forum where they were trying to come up with something. It was suggested that putting a skid plate over it like the EVO Protek might help out some.

http://northridge4x4.com/store/media...rotec.lg_1.jpg