Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   A unique problem with my blinkers (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/a-unique-problem-with-my-blinkers-250772.html)

Steve Loves Jeeps 06-21-2013 07:05 AM

A unique problem with my blinkers

I would try to search for this, but I am not sure how exactly to look up my problem.

Well, currently my Jeep is having some problems with it's front right blinker. The other week, it started blinking rapidly, which I believe meant it was dead. I decide to check it when I got home, and I jiggled it a bit and it went back to normal. It was fine for a while.

Now, when I am driving with my lights on, the blinker indicator on the dash is always illuminated. When it does this, the blinker blinks rapidly, as if it were out, even though when the lights are on, it works fine. Also, when the dash blinker indicator goes off (not illuminated) the blinker works fine.

Also, when I am driving with the lights on, the beeping for when you leave your lights on decides to start going off, until I turn the lights off.

Anybody have an idea what may be wrong?

QADaemon 06-21-2013 09:09 AM

Clock spring or the turn signal stalk switch would be my initial guesses.

Water Dog 06-21-2013 09:38 AM

I think if you are experiencing the problem on only the right front, that's probably the first place to check. Remove the bulb and check the contacts. Also check the wires; particularly the ground. You may have a broken wire on the bottom of the bulb contact base.

Wattapunk 06-21-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Water Dog (Post 3885198)
I think if you are experiencing the problem on only the right front, that's probably the first place to check. Remove the bulb and check the contacts. Also check the wires; particularly the ground. You may have a broken wire on the bottom of the bulb contact base.

x2. A bad ground to tub at the light assembly will cause this. Mostly from poor contacts due to corrosion.

Steve Loves Jeeps 06-21-2013 11:41 AM

Thanks guys. I'll give it a lookover over the weekend

nissanman1 06-21-2013 03:11 PM

Me too

Mine started doing the same thing the other night and I thought my jeep was possessed. It too is just the right side. I haven't had time to check into it but if I find the culprit I'll chime back in.

tkollman88 06-21-2013 03:29 PM

Turn your emergency lights on. If one of the bulbs doesn't work then that's the one causing the problem. May not be a bad bulb, could just have a bad connection. I experienced your problem a week or so ago and that's what it was on mine.

ugafan83 06-21-2013 03:38 PM

Mine has done it randomly on the left side. It will do it for a bit then go back to normal

Atthehop 06-21-2013 03:54 PM

Sounds like bad grounds. If you have taillight guards remove them to see if the problem goes away. They are known for creating bad grounds in the lighting system.

lambsb 06-23-2013 01:06 AM

My indicator stays on when I signal but don't "click" it like when I'm changing lanes. Sometimes its when I hit my brakes it lights the turn indicator. Just a quick wiggle on my turn signal lever to re center it cures the problem. Must be a bit sticky.

Daniel98tj 03-09-2014 09:23 PM

Check your connections for corrosion, I had a corroded socket on the passenger side front and that fixed it, or check the flasher. Ok yeah and blinker fluid always helps if you haven't changed it in awhile.

R u s s 03-09-2014 09:58 PM

Mine did the dash indicator for left would light up when I stepped on the brakes I replaced the multifunction switch with one from autozone and have not had a problem for over a year now hope this helps

Majnoon 03-09-2014 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R u s s (Post 8913801)
Mine did the dash indicator for left would light up when I stepped on the brakes I replaced the multifunction switch with one from autozone and have not had a problem for over a year now hope this helps

This happened with mine at same time brake light wouldn't work. Manually putting switch in center would correct it. Mine is a 2000. 1997-2000 can get factory turn signal switches from junkyards out of neons. Never had chime issues and it was all daylight so never seen how lights related. Good luck.

Water Dog 03-09-2014 10:57 PM

This post was from like 8 or 9 months ago...hopefully the op got it fixed by now.

Majnoon 03-09-2014 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Water Dog (Post 8915241)
This post was from like 8 or 9 months ago...hopefully the op got it fixed by now.

Hope so lol. That's a lot of tickets :)

cabenso 03-09-2014 11:06 PM

Do you have tube fenders? If so, what did you do with the side flashers. The wrong wiring can cause problems like this. If you wanna check the grounds, go to page 306 in the manual below:

1999 Jeep TJ Wrangler Service Manual - 08. Electrical Systems