Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Snorkel Assistance (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/snorkel-assistance-251033.html)

djmones 06-22-2013 02:41 PM

Snorkel Assistance

Hello lads,

I am in the need of a snorkel for my 2006 TJ Wrangler RHD. I need one that can mount either side but I also need it not to interfere with my relocation brackets for the mirrors. I have not seen any made specifically for RHD, even ARB makes them to fit on the right side of the vehicle which interferes with the mounting of the mirrors.

Any suggestions?

Michael-Ireland

krisbman 06-22-2013 02:45 PM

Why do you need a snorkel, you cant go any higher if you still have a mechanical fan.

PStov98TJ 06-22-2013 02:47 PM

You'll also need to extend the breather tubes before you even thing about using that snorkel. If your breathers are below the stock air intake as it is, a higher intake won't make any difference.

PStov98TJ 06-22-2013 03:39 PM

This is just for reference to make my point. This is of a '98 with an AX-5 trans but the front and rear diff breathers along with the NP231 breather locations will all be the same. So think about extending those first before you spend money on a snorkel and still screw your jeep up.

http://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/...psee296a63.jpg

TJDave 06-22-2013 04:56 PM

^ I like that breather location pic!

Rather than go through the trouble of extending and sealing stuff, I would just buy a small boat.:)

PStov98TJ 06-22-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJDave (Post 3889035)
^ I like that breather location pic!

Rather than go through the trouble of extending and sealing stuff, I would just buy a small boat.:)

Thanks! Credit however goes to a JeepForum member I copied that from. I just thought it was so well done it should be spread around more. Took me a long time to find the thread it was in.

And I agree. The only breather I'd extend is the trans one if I ever do extend them. And I'd just put it up on the firewall. No need to go over the running boards anyway, it'd just be for extra caution.

djmones 06-28-2013 03:55 PM

Thanks guys, that explained a few things I was a little ignorant of. The last thing I want is to screw up my Jeep

mikemounlio 06-28-2013 05:25 PM

What about the mechanical fan? I have no read anything about it yet. Please tell more if you wouold.

Dextreme 06-28-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemounlio (Post 3909082)
What about the mechanical fan? I have no read anything about it yet. Please tell more if you wouold.

The concept is that you can temporarily shut the electric cooling fan off while you are in the water crossing. Otherwise the blades slap the water and spray water all over the engine compartment. You don't have that option if the fan is part of the belt drive system.

Dextreme 06-28-2013 07:43 PM

dup

CarolinaBound 06-28-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dextreme (Post 3909340)
The concept is that you can temporarily shut the electric cooling fan off while you are in the water crossing. Otherwise the blades slap the water and spray water all over the engine compartment. You don't have that option if the fan is part of the belt drive system.

Also the fan acts as a propeller in water. No beuno there. That's how I killed my fan clutch.

krisbman 06-28-2013 09:24 PM

And the mechanical fan will actually pull itself into the radiator in a deep water crossing and eff the core up along with the fan

NoBoat0429 06-29-2013 12:02 AM

I plan on putting a snorkel on at some point. Besides the look of it, which i think is very cool, it will only help you get across flooded roads and small creeks and streams. If you compare it to military spec snorkels on the humvee's your crazy. Their engine compartments actually have shut offs while they make water crossings. Unless you plan on getting one of those pro rig solutions for your engine, i would say a snorkel will just prevent a stall during a relatively quick water crossing. I just don't want to be one of those mustangs stuck in the street after a hard rain and localized flooding. Good luck! Amazon has a real cheap kit for about 120 bucks. I also have seen some custom ones which just have a breather by the engine vent at the windshield wipers, which would be a solution to your mirror issues.