Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Quick easy fix for the dreaded seat belt flutter (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/quick-easy-fix-for-the-dreaded-seat-belt-flutter-251073.html)

LoCo Jeep 06-22-2013 05:53 PM

Quick easy fix for the dreaded seat belt flutter

I'm guessing there are many ways innovate Jeep owners have found to correct this problem but this is what I found works great.

It's called Velcro one wrap which is basically a thin two sided velcro strap. The product is 4 dollars and some change for 3 pieces at Home Depot, one for each door and an extra if needed.

Velcro one wrap works perfectly and its the same color as the interior fabric so it doesn't look out of place. You just wrap in around the roll bar and seat belt just tight enough so that the belt can move and presto no flutter.

Hope this helps someone, if this has already been done before....then never mind.

http://imageshack.us/a/img13/7474/pabn.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img594/8990/2n4z.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img191/3528/f1qs.jpg

flipmeover 06-22-2013 06:06 PM

I like that idea! I'm running a shoulder strap pad on mine right now for the same effect. The pad causes the seat belt to not retracton its own though. Do you have that same problem with your solution?

LoCo Jeep 06-22-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipmeover (Post 3889295)
I like that idea! I'm running a shoulder strap pad on mine right now for the same effect. The pad causes the seat belt to not retracton its own though. Do you have that same problem with your solution?

No, not at all. The selt belt slides with no hang up. This strap looks like it was made for this problem.

jeepingchester 06-22-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCo Jeep (Post 3889271)
I'm guessing there are many ways innovate Jeep owners have found to correct this problem but this is what I found works great.

It's called Velcro one wrap which is basically a thin two sided velcro strap. The product is 4 dollars and some change for 3 pieces at Home Depot, one for each door and an extra if needed.

Velcro one wrap works perfectly and its the same color as the interior fabric so it doesn't look out of place. You just wrap in around the roll bar and seat belt just tight enough so that the belt can move and presto no flutter.

Hope this helps someone, if this has already been done before....then never mind.

Exactly what I did. Works perfect.

felix53 06-22-2013 07:24 PM

Going to the depot tomorrow to pick it up. Had the doors off for the first time today and the seatbelt chatter was mildly irritating. Thanks for the idea!

m998dna 06-22-2013 07:33 PM

Reminds me of my fishing rod straps. Stop at a tackle shop and you find something similar.

1Topp 06-22-2013 08:33 PM

A few DCU bandanas.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7285/9...15b0776da5.jpg

joeg679 06-22-2013 09:42 PM

What is the flutter issue, exactly?

LoCo Jeep 06-22-2013 09:59 PM

If your top is off or even just the windows down the wind causes the seat belt webbing to vibrate (flutter) which makes an irritating noise.

joeg679 06-22-2013 10:10 PM

Thanks. I haven't noticed it with the windows down. I'll look for it next time and thanks for the velcro tip.

CaptnGus 06-22-2013 10:31 PM

Great idea! My wife complained about the noise today. I just turned the stereo up. I was going to the garage tomorrow to see what I could tie the strap down with. I've used that Velcro One Wrap before, for other stuff. I may still have some laying around.

Crazy Mike 06-25-2013 07:45 PM

I hit up HD today and have wrapped my B-pillars. Now I just need a sunny day to put theory to practice. (I also was having a retraction issues with the seat belt pads but it was better than the incessant fluttering...)

Matador 06-26-2013 08:07 AM

http://s.stpost.com/eccstorefront/pr..._1871j_1.1.jpg

Scott2373 06-26-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCo Jeep (Post 3889998)
If your top is off or even just the windows down the wind causes the seat belt webbing to vibrate (flutter) which makes an irritating noise.

Actually, I've only noticed the flutter when the doors are off. My wife wasn't crazy about driving around with the doors off, so I found a set of brand new Warrior doors on Craigslist for $250. The belts don't flutter with the Warrior doors on and everything else opened / off.

xjcj5jku 06-26-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott2373 (Post 3900666)
Actually, I've only noticed the flutter when the doors are off. My wife wasn't crazy about driving around with the doors off, so I found a set of brand new Warrior doors on Craigslist for $250. The belts don't flutter with the Warrior doors on and everything else opened / off.

Mine flutter frequently with the top down and upper doors off. I must be missing something tho... I would have to wrap the Velcro strap all the way around my painted B pillar on my '12 JKUR. Not sure I like that idea... Scratch the paint, look funky...

MAG00 06-26-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjcj5jku (Post 3900767)
Mine flutter frequently with the top down and upper doors off. I must be missing something tho... I would have to wrap the Velcro strap all the way around my painted B pillar on my '12 JKUR. Not sure I like that idea... Scratch the paint, look funky...

Yea,
I was wondering the same thing. My flutter is from the front seal belts on the plastic trim. Sounds like you and I would have the same issue in trying to wrap something around to stop it.

xjcj5jku 06-26-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAG00 (Post 3900892)
Yea,
I was wondering the same thing. My flutter is from the front seal belts on the plastic trim. Sounds like you and I would have the same issue in trying to wrap something around to stop it.

Whew, glad I wasn't out to lunch in my thinking. I was wondering if something like a small sponge stuffed some into the hole where the seat belt exits the plastic... Hold it over a little closer to the pillar, yet not interfere with function. As long as it doesn't migrate into the opening too far and create the neeed for a fishing expedition to retrieve it back out!

LoCo Jeep 06-26-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjcj5jku (Post 3900767)

You wrap around the roll bar....look at 1st picture in 1st post.

LoCo Jeep 06-26-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAG00 (Post 3900892)
Yea,

The problem exists because the belt comes out of the retractor too low on the roll bar causing too much belt to be exposed. Its a design fault. The wind catches the longer exposed belt which causes it to flutter. The Velcro just holds the belt tight to the roll bar but loose enough to not restrict belt retraction.

TRAUMAhead 06-26-2013 11:06 AM

Went with shoulder seat belt pads, no problems with the belt retracting.

TRAUMAhead 06-26-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCo Jeep (Post 3900971)
You wrap around the roll bar....look at 1st picture in 1st post.

Our B pillar is pretty much the roll bar on the JKUs.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5528/9...aeb7873a_b.jpg

BManz 06-26-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeg679 (Post 3889947)
What is the flutter issue, exactly?

Seatbelt on the retractor end hit by wind, kind of like this noise:
Ian Flapping Cheeks #1 - YouTube

LoCo Jeep 06-26-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRAUMAhead (Post 3901217)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5528/9...aeb7873a_b.jpg

My fix is for 2 door JK Jeeps. Even though I specifically didn't say so I thought it was plainly obvious.

xjcj5jku 06-26-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRAUMAhead (Post 3901217)

This-

xjcj5jku 06-26-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCo Jeep (Post 3901339)

My fix is for 2 door JK Jeeps. Even though I specifically didn't say so I thought it was plainly obvious.

Nice try on the save...

Orange Krusher 06-26-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Thanks!!!!

DrMutts 06-27-2013 01:28 AM

Seat belt pads. 1.29 each from w*lmart. Does the job. No problem.

panthermark 06-27-2013 08:28 AM

I went with seatbelt pads from Wal-Mart as well, but mine were like $2.50 each. I think the price had went up.

Either way, whatever works gets a :thumb:

Orange Krusher 07-04-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Thanks!!! I went out for a long drive and these worked perfect!!!

scipio337 07-05-2013 08:32 AM

I used the same thing I use to tie down the soft top when open, and for the "bedroll" blanket I use to roll up the soft top windows:

16-Pk. New British 16 inch Nylon Web Straps

Bri 40cm Strap 16pk - 1035823, Straps/Chains at Sportsman's Guide

Seems expensive, but you do get 16 of them. I bought some not too long ago for camping (and it goes great with the Commando color).