Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Jack stands for a pretty high Jeep? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jack-stands-for-a-pretty-high-jeep-251112.html)

gr8fulKID 06-22-2013 09:04 PM

Jack stands for a pretty high Jeep?
 
I am sitting on 37s and 3 inch of lift. Will jack stands that go up to 24 inches be enough? If not, what are yall using?

that seems to be the common max height. My buddy had ones that went up to 18 and they weren't high enough so wanted to see what everyone else uses. Stay away from harbor freight ones???

Raiderfan001 06-22-2013 09:07 PM

6 ton jack stands

WatchThis! 06-22-2013 09:17 PM

Are you trying to go to the frame or axle with them?

gr8fulKID 06-22-2013 10:26 PM

^ Was trying to do the frame. Its okay to use stands on the axle?

Thanks for the responses. I figure 6 ton would be the way to go.

WatchThis! 06-22-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8fulKID (Post 3890073)
^ Was trying to do the frame. Its okay to use stands on the axle?

.

Perfectly fine to do so, well in less you are working on the suspension of course.

gr8fulKID 06-22-2013 10:45 PM

^ Hmm, didn't think of stating that in my previous post. I was planning on tackling my brakes today, so im gonna say that the jack stands on the axle would have worked. But, I would like to have a set to hit the frame.

Thanks a lot for the posts.

Tweak 06-22-2013 11:37 PM

northern tool, similar to harbor freight, sells some massive jack stands.

Torin Pair of Ratchet Action Jack Stands 12-Ton, Model# T41202 | Jack Stands| Northern Tool + Equipment

buddy has a set. base is wide and stable.

terrabit 06-22-2013 11:51 PM

I just ordered these.


http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=390462135900

kbwwolf 06-23-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweak (Post 3890221)
northern tool, similar to harbor freight, sells some massive jack stands.

Torin Pair of Ratchet Action Jack Stands 12-Ton, Model# T41202 | Jack Stands| Northern Tool + Equipment

buddy has a set. base is wide and stable.

This is what I've got...more than enough, wherever you wanna put em. If you have shorter ones, you can always put some 2x4s on em to give you more height. Within reason, of course.

Gbobva 06-23-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweak (Post 3890221)
northern tool, similar to harbor freight, sells some massive jack stands.

Torin Pair of Ratchet Action Jack Stands 12-Ton, Model# T41202 | Jack Stands| Northern Tool + Equipment

buddy has a set. base is wide and stable.

Thanks for the link. I have been looking for some hi tower-ish jack stands! Ordered.

gr8fulKID 06-23-2013 05:04 PM

Thanks for the link. Ill have to check these out.

I was just thinking about this and wanted to run something by you guys.. Lets say I had jack stands that only went 18 inches high and a floor jack that raised the jeep up a lot more than that. Would it be safe to raise the jeep w/ floor jack so both tires are off ground, remove both tires, and then place the jeep on the low jack stands?

And when I had to put the tires back on, just raise the jeep up ww/ the floor jack, off the low-height jack stands, and mount the tires back on. Im just trying to hold off on buying jack stands for a little and use my buddys 18 inchers

HK_Runner 06-23-2013 05:19 PM

Good timing. When it comes to stuff like jack stands, I wanted to buy the best I could find, and preferably American-made and welded. If not, I wanted some overbuilt ones- wherever they happened to be made. I ordered these 5 minutes ago:

Hein-Werner HW93506 Blue/Yellow Jack Stand - 6 Ton Capacity : Amazon.com : Automotive

These were my second choice:

Omega Lift Equipment Magic Lift Jack Stand Set 6-Ton Capacity, Model# 32066 | Jack Stands| Northern Tool + Equipment

DaK 06-23-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8fulKID (Post 3891646)
Thanks for the link. Ill have to check these out.

I was just thinking about this and wanted to run something by you guys.. Lets say I had jack stands that only went 18 inches high and a floor jack that raised the jeep up a lot more than that. Would it be safe to raise the jeep w/ floor jack so both tires are off ground, remove both tires, and then place the jeep on the low jack stands?

And when I had to put the tires back on, just raise the jeep up ww/ the floor jack, off the low-height jack stands, and mount the tires back on. Im just trying to hold off on buying jack stands for a little and use my buddys 18 inchers


Should be little to no risk with this. Just be sure to chock the tires and be sure to not jack so high that the frame or whatever you are resting on is in danger of compromising the jacks on the other side of the vehicle. This is what my installer does when all four wheels need to come off the rig for some reason.

O_M_Jeep 06-23-2013 05:39 PM

I use stands that reach past 48", this is a link to the last thread I detailed all the info in - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/jack...ml#post3829665

gr8fulKID 06-23-2013 07:23 PM

Right on thanks!

terrabit 06-23-2013 09:27 PM

The 6 ton Torin jack stands I purchased are double locking. Many people, including myself, feel that this is a necessary safety feature. Almost bought a set of 12 ton stands for the extra height but I think these will do. I'll get to try them out when my front MC lca's and track bar arrive.

michiganadam 06-24-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8fulKID (Post 3891646)
Thanks for the link. Ill have to check these out.

I was just thinking about this and wanted to run something by you guys.. Lets say I had jack stands that only went 18 inches high and a floor jack that raised the jeep up a lot more than that. Would it be safe to raise the jeep w/ floor jack so both tires are off ground, remove both tires, and then place the jeep on the low jack stands?

And when I had to put the tires back on, just raise the jeep up ww/ the floor jack, off the low-height jack stands, and mount the tires back on. Im just trying to hold off on buying jack stands for a little and use my buddys 18 inchers

No. Never do that. Not with a hydraulic jack anyway. Ive had a car fall off a jack before, not pretty. Either the jack could slip or a seal could go out. stands are cheap.

michiganadam 06-24-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrabit (Post 3892363)
The 6 ton Torin jack stands I purchased are double locking. Many people, including myself, feel that this is a necessary safety feature. Almost bought a set of 12 ton stands for the extra height but I think these will do. I'll get to try them out when my front MC lca's and track bar arrive.

What is double locking? Every stand ive ever owned had a lever you lift up to release the ratchet, and it lifts the stand up a little before releasing....therefore impossible to release with a car on it. Is this different?

Argent 06-24-2013 07:54 AM

and while we're on the subject of jack stands - what about floor jacks? recommendations? I just realized this weekend my little 2 1/4 ton was barely enough to raise my Compass off the ground so I could change brakes...no way it'll work for a Wrangler.

michiganadam 06-24-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argent (Post 3893512)
and while we're on the subject of jack stands - what about floor jacks? recommendations? I just realized this weekend my little 2 1/4 ton was barely enough to raise my Compass off the ground so I could change brakes...no way it'll work for a Wrangler.

I just use a bottle jack with a brick under it honestly. I have a 2 1/4 ton and know better than even trying that one. A 4 ton floor jack should work fine.

gr8fulKID 06-24-2013 10:05 AM

okay... 6 or 12 ton stands it is.

I just measured and found out my frame is 18 inches from the ground. So, jack stands that go up to 24 inches ( seems like most 6 tons go this high) should be okay.

terrabit 06-24-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michiganadam (Post 3893477)
What is double locking? Every stand ive ever owned had a lever you lift up to release the ratchet, and it lifts the stand up a little before releasing....therefore impossible to release with a car on it. Is this different?

Yes, but you can't actually see the ratchet, can you? The conventional design has failed. It's just an added level of protection. There's a pin that slides in to lock the upper portion securely in place - it can't fail. I've never used them before either but then again, I've never spent so much time under a rig. Prolly never have a problem either way, just cheap insurance. To each, his own.

ljrubitm 06-24-2013 09:42 PM

Use the 12 ton for when you need to hold the jeep up at the frame. The 12 ton are taller and will be more stable. I have a set of 6 ton stands and with a 4'' lift & 35's the stands are close to the end, maybe 3 or 4 from the end. My frame is also 18'' from the ground.
The thing is with the 12 ton there is less of the stand sticking up and will be more stable.

michiganadam 06-25-2013 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrabit (Post 3895209)
Yes, but you can't actually see the ratchet, can you? The conventional design has failed. It's just an added level of protection. There's a pin that slides in to lock the upper portion securely in place - it can't fail. I've never used them before either but then again, I've never spent so much time under a rig. Prolly never have a problem either way, just cheap insurance. To each, his own.

To each his own? Sounds like a better tool to me. Ive never heard of them before this.

Lusus_Naturae 06-27-2013 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8fulKID (Post 3891646)
Thanks for the link. Ill have to check these out.

I was just thinking about this and wanted to run something by you guys.. Lets say I had jack stands that only went 18 inches high and a floor jack that raised the jeep up a lot more than that. Would it be safe to raise the jeep w/ floor jack so both tires are off ground, remove both tires, and then place the jeep on the low jack stands?

And when I had to put the tires back on, just raise the jeep up ww/ the floor jack, off the low-height jack stands, and mount the tires back on. Im just trying to hold off on buying jack stands for a little and use my buddys 18 inchers

Yes, you can do that - but only because I understand you are using the floor jack to move the Jeep up to take off the tires, and then back to a resting position on the stands, correct? The Jeep would then remain on the stands until you went back to put the tire on again, at that point you use the floor jack to lift it up again and put the tire on.

This is really no different than using a floor jack in the field to momentarily raise a vehicle to swap out a flat.

You don't want to go under it while it's on the floor jack of course, and you want to make sure the emergency brake is pulled and a chock in place.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 PM.