Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Need ALL Terrain Tire help ? anyone ? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/need-all-terrain-tire-help-anyone-251240.html)

fullboost 06-23-2013 03:44 PM

Need ALL Terrain Tire help ? anyone ?

I'm looking to buy new All terrain tires and I just wanted to know what some of you guys think ? I do a lot of street driving and a little trail driving what do you think ?

1. quiet
2. ride
3. performance
4. mileage life

any input will help.. thanks everyone ahead of time..

Plowboy1970 06-23-2013 03:47 PM

Goodyear Duratrac. Period!!!

TexasJeepGirl 06-23-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullboost (Post 3891369)
I'm looking to buy new All terrain tires and I just wanted to know what some of you guys think ? I do a lot of street driving and a little trail driving what do you think ?

1. quiet
2. ride
3. performance
4. mileage life

any input will help.. thanks everyone ahead of time..

We run Pro Comp Xtreme ATs and they ride great and seem to not wear at all (we rotate very regularly)! They also perform surprisingly well offroad. I highly recommend them. I commute my jeep 2.5 hours a day sometimes so they get quite a bit of highway time too.

BrutusTheTJ01 06-23-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plowboy1970 (Post 3891372)
Goodyear Duratrac. Period!!!

x2

Porktownff51 06-23-2013 04:00 PM

Did a bit of research and I found toyo at2 waiting for them to show up

tjy18 06-23-2013 04:02 PM

I've got the Mickey Thompson ATZs on my jeep and I love them. Aggressive tread, and not too loud on the road. I do a lot of highway driving and they are perfect on there too.

Jerry Bransford 06-23-2013 04:13 PM

Just to add another opinion, it's hard to beat BFG's All Terrain KO. I don't know of any other brand of AT that will even come close to outlasting it, and it is extremely quiet on the street.

Water Dog 06-23-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porktownff51 (Post 3891409)
Did a bit of research and I found toyo at2 waiting for them to show up

You will love the Toyo's. I have been running a set for about a year and a half, and have even done the Rubicon with them. They did great for being an AT tire. They are quiet on the street and wear like iron. Going to be replacing them this month with GY MTR's just because I want something a little more aggressive in the rocks, but they still have 70-75% of tread left on them.

TexasJeepGirl 06-23-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3891424)
Just to add another opinion, it's hard to beat BFG's All Terrain KO. I don't know of any other brand of AT that will even come close to outlasting it, and it is extremely quiet on the street.

I loved those on my Z71 but everyone I knew said to skip them on a Jeep. Something about them being really hit or miss for balancing since jeeps are so lightweight. Lots of wobble problems for people.

Porktownff51 06-23-2013 04:21 PM

That's what I want to hear!

Porktownff51 06-23-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Water Dog (Post 3891431)

You will love the Toyo's. I have been running a set for about a year and a half, and have even done the Rubicon with them. They did great for being an AT tire. They are quiet on the street and wear like iron. Going to be replacing them this month with GY MTR's just because I want something a little more aggressive in the rocks, but they still have 70-75% of tread left on them.

That's what I want to hear! Can't wait to get them on and Govier it a go

Atthehop 06-23-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

On my second set of BFG's between my YJ and TJ. The take offs from the YJ lasted over 100K running mainly highway miles on my 100 mile a day commute.

Jerry Bransford 06-23-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasJeepGirl (Post 3891434)
I loved those on my Z71 but everyone I knew said to skip them on a Jeep. Something about them being really hit or miss for balancing since jeeps are so lightweight. Lots of wobble problems for people.

Those rumors were wrong. Not even the Jeep is lightweight even though it looks light. Most Wranglers are close to 4k lbs. & my TJs have both been over 4k lbs. which is far heavier than most cars. They are actually heavier than most vehicles due to their heavy steel tub & full-steel frame construction. The BFG AT is a very high quality tire, it does not have balancing problems. I don't say that because I run BFGs, I actually run Goodyear MT/Rs myself. I only pipe up on the BFG All Terrains because I used to run a set of them & they were a superb tire for streets & most types of common offroad terrain.

Xjman1 06-23-2013 04:46 PM

Loved my Bridgestone Revo's until I got a nail right on the shoulder at work. Arghh. They rode extremelly quiet, smooth, and worked very well on the trail. Great sidewall strength and good very felxible for grabbing rocks.
Just switched to KM2's, quite a bit louder but not as obnoxious as older MT's were.
I thought about the Duratracs too, but could not get over the thin sidewall. My daughters BF has them and his ripped open in a riverbed run as well as the many stories of them elsewhere.
Too bad they were not Kevler like the MT/R's or that would be a win.

Gixxer86g 06-23-2013 05:40 PM

I was going to suggest the Dick Cepek FC2s that I run, but they aren't quiet. They hum quite nicely. I love it.

If you aren't going to be playing in the mud, go with the BFGs. Excellent tire.

Grabber AT2s also get great reviews, and according to their owners are better in the mud and snow than the BFGs.

The Duratracs are well loved. But they are sorta in between a AT and MT. Like my FC2s.

NCJeepin 06-23-2013 05:44 PM

I have Goodyear Duratracs and love them. I've also seen the Toyo AT2 and it looks like a really good tire as well.

jp2611 06-23-2013 05:55 PM

My experience has only been with 2 tires BFGs and Duratracs. Up here in IN my vote is the Duratracs. IDK how long they will last as I have only had mine since OCT. But I do know that yesterday I followed a guy around on 35"s and lockers in an off road park I never had an issue. However whenever he got stuck and needed the winch, I didn't try it. I am running 33" Duratracs with open diffs and 3.73"s.

A fellow Jeeper "on 31" BFG's" got stuck one time as well.

Off road the Duratracs will out perform the BFG ATs IMO, and in the winter or rain the Duratracs are much better. Again IMO based on my experience.

OBTW I ran 3 sets of BFGs and got about 50K out of each set before I switched to the Duratracs......My '04 TJ has 160+ miles on it.

michiganadam 06-23-2013 06:17 PM

I like the duratrac. And it's the cheapest AT that looks good and is name brand.

chris21915 06-23-2013 06:33 PM

i got around 45k miles on duratracs they still have good tread left,

Usnrubi143 06-24-2013 12:20 AM

I run the cooper st maxxs they are a cross between a mt and at .... I would of bought them in 35 but they don't make so I went with its cousin the Dick Cepek fc2 because Dick Cepek is made by cooper here is sme mood reviews on st maxx
Cooper ST MAXX Any Reviews? - TTORA Forum

mason93 06-24-2013 11:23 AM

To the best of my knowledge, the bfg is the only all terrain tire with a 3 ply sidewall. I had them on my f150 and loved them.

Lbear 06-24-2013 11:37 AM

I'm running Goodyear Silent Armors and love them. They are quiet, handle very well and great in snow and even ice. I would give them a 10 on all of your criteria. You didn't say what your driving consists of so I also think it depends what you intend to do. If you are a weekend warrior (I'm not) then you may want something more aggressive like the Duratracs. But for handling, mileage and all around traction the Silent Armors can't be beat. And they have a long warranty. I chose them over the Duratracs based on the tire dealer recommendation- he carries both and said the Silent Armor is a better tire if you aren't doing a lot of serious offroading.

Flyfisher76 06-24-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

I agree with this as well. I had a pair that had over 40k miles on them and at least half of the tread left if not more when i sold the YJ. When it is time to replace the tires on my JKU it will be with a set of these again.

I also found them to be very good in the snow as well.

RDthegamecock 06-24-2013 09:51 PM

BFG all-terrains all the way. Very smooth ride. No vibration. Will last a lot longer than any other all terrain tires.

JeepersDave 06-24-2013 11:29 PM

Another vote for the BFG KO's. I've had mine for 6 years and I've been on the slick rock of Moab, in the rocks, mud and snow. They've never failed me and they wear like iron. I'll be getting another set by winter.

Los57 06-24-2013 11:48 PM

I haven't had my KO's long but I will say they're quieter than my Firestone Destination A/T's and have proven to be a very comfortable ride on the highway.

TheDesertOutlaw 06-25-2013 02:04 AM

I push my All-Terrains, and they seem to work in the rough stuff

I tend to run my All-Terrains like they are Mud-Terrains. My AT/KOs do well in the mud and on rock-lined dirt roads.

Gonzaga Bay - Baja California
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...42577239_n.jpg

Big Bear, CA (yesterday):dance:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...05071216_n.jpg

Laguna Salada Creek - Laguna Salada, Baja California -- made it ACROSS!
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...26804059_n.jpg
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...51267777_n.jpg

MGHDTi 06-25-2013 02:25 AM

Everyone's got their own "best AT tire" After a TON of research, I decided to go with the new Toyo ATII's. Had them on for about 5 months now and been in every kind of condition in them. My Jeep is my DD but I do take it on offroading trails occasionally, but mostly Jeep trails out in remote areas of Oregon. They are incredible on road, great wet traction, stopping power. Work wonders in sand, rocks, gravel, but not so much in snow. Either way... I love em! :)

NC Bear 06-25-2013 06:08 AM

I have been very happy with the TA / KO's on my Jeep, and also on my TRD Tacoma (now sold)

They perform very nicely off road, and wear like iron. My Tacoma had 60,000 miles on the TA KO's when I sold the truck and still had 8/32 tread left.

Jeep only has about 6000 miles on the tires so of course they look new.

Neal5280 06-25-2013 06:44 AM

I couldn't be any happier with my Duratracs they have performed better than I ever thought and are quiet.