Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   Wanting to do the Rubicon Trail. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/wanting-to-do-the-rubicon-trail-251341.html)

87octane 06-23-2013 10:40 PM

Wanting to do the Rubicon Trail.

I will be in South Lake Tahoe from July 1st to July 7th. My girlfriend and I had this vacation planned for some time. We invited another couple who was bringing their boat and we were just going to bring one vehicle to tow the boat since it is a 10 hour drive. The other couple is having some personal issue's and can't make the trip.

So plan B with no boat I am driving my Jeep which should have been plan A if I would have know the Rubicon Trail was close by.

Is there anyone that is planning on doing the Rubicon Trail between the above dates that wouldn't mind another Jeep tagging along? My Jeep is well maintained and should be plenty capable for this trail. My 40th B-Day is July 3rd and being on the Rubicon would be perfect!!

I am also open to anybody that would be interested in doing this run with me. I am open on dates above and was planning on camping one night but I would consider camping two nights.

Sccafire 06-23-2013 10:53 PM

It is going to be busy up there at that time due to the 3 day weekend. Most groups are good people. Finding a group to ride with shouldn't be to much of an issue.

87octane 06-23-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sccafire (Post 3892710)
It is going to be busy up there at that time due to the 3 day weekend. Most groups are good people. Finding a group to ride with shouldn't be to much of an issue.

I thought about that too. Spending a little time at the staging area and ask people as they show up.

Is it best running from West to East?

Kota7x 06-23-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87octane (Post 3892655)
I will be in South Lake Tahoe from July 1st to July 7th. My girlfriend and I had this vacation planned for some time. We invited another couple who was bringing their boat and we were just going to bring one vehicle to tow the boat since it is a 10 hour drive. The other couple is having some personal issue's and can't make the trip....

Words cannot describe how jealous I am right now. Im glad you made the decision to take the Jeep and go. I want lots of pictures. Good luck and have fun!!!

BillG.OTD 06-23-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87octane (Post 3892753)

I thought about that too. Spending a little time at the staging area and ask people as they show up.

Yeah Mark, there will be lots of people running the trail but I don't think any organized groups like there normally is. We are going to Tahoe the first week in August with the Motorhome and plan on taking the jeep, but won't be doing the rubicon until next year. We may do jeep Jamboree or just a small group. I spoke to a guide he's aid its very tough to do in one day ( but can be done) he said 1 night on the trail is ideal, so plan on camping. :)

BillG.OTD 06-23-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87octane (Post 3892753)

And yes, west to east....

87octane 06-24-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kota7x (Post 3892798)
Words cannot describe how jealous I am right now. Im glad you made the decision to take the Jeep and go. I want lots of pictures. Good luck and have fun!!!

I am more excited for this trip now than I was before. Thanks for pointing out how close it was to Tahoe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillG.OTD (Post 3892850)
Yeah Mark, there will be lots of people running the trail but I don't think any organized groups like there normally is. We are going to Tahoe the first week in August with the Motorhome and plan on taking the jeep, but won't be doing the rubicon until next year. We may do jeep Jamboree or just a small group. I spoke to a guide he's aid its very tough to do in one day ( but can be done) he said 1 night on the trail is ideal, so plan on camping. :)

Thanks for the info Bill. I was planning on camping one night. I hope I can find a group big or small to wheel with before I just show up and ask.

rkwfxd 06-24-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87octane (Post 3892943)
I am more excited for this trip now than I was before. Thanks for pointing out how close it was to Tahoe.

Thanks for the info Bill. I was planning on camping one night. I hope I can find a group big or small to wheel with before I just show up and ask.

Meah..... it's a lot like golf. I've walked into a Pro-shop looking to fill up a foursome and have never had a problem. Same thing with jeeps, I've had a number of guys show up at the beginning of a run and/or actually midway on the trail and ask to join the group I was with. It has never been a problem and I have actually made some pretty good friends that way.:thumb:

87octane 06-24-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkwfxd (Post 3893493)
Meah..... it's a lot like golf. I've walked into a Pro-shop looking to fill up a foursome and have never had a problem. Same thing with jeeps, I've had a number of guys show up at the beginning of a run and/or actually midway on the trail and ask to join the group I was with. It has never been a problem and I have actually made some pretty good friends that way.:thumb:

I would have never thought golfing and wheeling would be similar. :D

rkwfxd 06-24-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87octane (Post 3893614)
I would have never thought golfing and wheeling would be similar. :D

They are for me..... I suck at both.:banghead:

RadarRob2012 06-24-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkwfxd (Post 3894344)

They are for me..... I suck at both.:banghead:

I'm not very good at golf either. But I don't play that often. I'm a Beast on the Rocks though, practice makes perfect, and I Wheel as often as I can. Let's get you out there Rich.

87octane 06-24-2013 02:10 PM

I used to be pretty good at wheeling. Then I bought lockers now the equipment gets all the credit. Too bad you can't flip a magic switch for golf.

RadarRob2012 06-24-2013 02:35 PM

Yeah, Open Diffs and A/T Tires will Def make you a better Wheeler. It has me. And when I lived in Phoenix, Az. I was a much better golfer. But I played more then. Lol

I H8RDS 06-24-2013 02:38 PM

Flyin LJ = a better wheeler ? :rofl: just kidding!! ;) You do well with what you're rolling on :thumb:

RadarRob2012 06-24-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I H8RDS (Post 3894689)
Flyin LJ = a better wheeler ? :rofl: just kidding!! ;) You do well with what you're rolling on :thumb:

Ouch!!! My Jeep is Amazing!!! It's pulled more than one Rubicon off the Rocks. Lol. Must be the driver. ;)

rkwfxd 06-24-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarRob2012 (Post 3894363)
I'm not very good at golf either. But I don't play that often. I'm a Beast on the Rocks though, practice makes perfect, and I Wheel as often as I can. Let's get you out there Rich.

Yeah Rob I would like that. I know weekends are tuff for you to get off. I am off most Wednesdays. I was thinking we could do some Wednesday Wheeling.

At least it sounds cool. :cool:

I H8RDS 06-24-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarRob2012 (Post 3894787)
Ouch!!! My Jeep is Amazing!!! It's pulled more than one Rubicon off the Rocks. Lol. Must be the driver. ;)

Must be ;)

RadarRob2012 06-24-2013 03:48 PM

Sorry about hijacking your thread. I say Run it. How often do you have the opportunity to run the Rubicon? Have Fun, I'm so jealous. Lol

87octane 06-24-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarRob2012 (Post 3894973)
Sorry about hijacking your thread. I say Run it. How often do you have the opportunity to run the Rubicon? Have Fun, I'm so jealous. Lol

Don't worry about the highjack it keeps the thread fresh.

I plan on running it regardless. Even if I have to follow another group like a lost puppy dog. LOL

RadarRob2012 06-24-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87octane (Post 3895024)

I plan on running it regardless. Even if I have to follow another group like a lost puppy dog. LOL

I say fall into the middle of the pack. That way they really can't leave you if you get stuck. Lol. Not that they would, but why take that chance right?

87octane 06-24-2013 05:10 PM

Sounds good but cutting in line is rude and then I relly wouldn't get help if I needed it. LOL. From what I read there are bypasses on the tough spots.

Sccafire 06-24-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87octane (Post 3895024)

What exactly are your plans? I may be able to scratch up a couple of other rigs. I really need to know what days and if your going from Loon Lake to Tahoe or the other way.

87octane 06-24-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sccafire (Post 3895246)
What exactly are your plans? I may be able to scratch up a couple of other rigs. I really need to know what days and if your going from Loon Lake to Tahoe or the other way.

My plan is to arrive in Lake Tahoe Sunday night 6/30 and heading back home to San Diego Sunday from Lake Tahoe the morning of July 7th.

July 1st,2nd,3rd,4th,5th and 6th are available for the rubicon. Pick any 2 days that works for you. My girlfriend only wants to camp one night. I was planning on running it from Loon Lake to Tahoe but at this point I could care less which way we run it.

Sccafire 06-24-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87octane (Post 3895334)
My plan is to arrive in Lake Tahoe Sunday night 6/30 and heading back home to San Diego Sunday from Lake Tahoe the morning of July 7th.

July 1st,2nd,3rd,4th,5th and 6th are available for the rubicon. Pick any 2 days that works for you. My girlfriend only wants to camp one night. I was planning on running it from Loon Lake to Tahoe but at this point I could care less which way we run it.

I've got some feelers out. I will let you know

87octane 06-24-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sccafire (Post 3895375)
I've got some feelers out. I will let you know

Right on! :D

Sccafire 06-24-2013 06:25 PM

Just a suggestion you may want to try posting this on other forums. Like JF or Pirate. On Pirate just post it in the Northern CA section. People are nice in there. I already posted on another forum I belong too.

87octane 06-24-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sccafire (Post 3895406)
Just a suggestion you may want to try posting this on other forums. Like JF or Pirate. On Pirate just post it in the Northern CA section. People are nice in there. I already posted on another forum I belong too.

Good Idea! I will post on JF. I never did sign up for Pirate seemed more of an xtreme building forum.

rkwfxd 06-24-2013 09:10 PM

Mark, I'll post up in a couple of golf forums for you. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

:rofl::rofl:

:rofl:

:D

87octane 06-24-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkwfxd (Post 3896021)
Mark, I'll post up in a couple of golf forums for you. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

:rofl::rofl:

:rofl:

:D

Golfers are welcome long as they can drive more than 350 yards and own a Jeep.:rofl:

BillG.OTD 06-25-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87octane (Post 3895487)
Good Idea! I will post on JF. I never did sign up for Pirate seemed more of an xtreme building forum.

I tried Pirate for you and they said:

"Stay off the trail you :9lame: asshole :flipoff::flipoff::"