Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Tire rotation order (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/tire-rotation-order-251351.html)

niko5055 06-23-2013 11:51 PM

Tire rotation order
 
Hello, I am going to be rotating my tires and I was wondering what order I should be rotating them in. I have 33 x 12.5 mud tires if that matters

jherrington 06-23-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niko5055 (Post 3892894)
Hello, I am going to be rotating my tires and I was wondering what order I should be rotating them in. I have 33 x 12.5 mud tires if that matters

Front to back back to front.

janosko9424 06-24-2013 12:10 AM

x pattern unless you want to bring your spare in then do a clockwise rotation. But the X pattern prevents cupping in the tires. I work at a discount tire. Front to back works perfectly fine but is not the best possibility for the tires

gixxerphil 06-24-2013 12:14 AM

Rotation - Discount Tire Direct

Jerry Bransford 06-24-2013 12:18 AM

For even wear, they need to be cross rotated.

LF to LR
RF to RR
LR to spare
Spare to RF
RR to LF

Goodyear, BFG, etc. recommend the above pattern for RWD vehicles.

The old advice to not switch sides with radial tires hasn't been true in probably 30+ years. :)

VTBalla34 06-24-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3892954)
For even wear, they need to be cross rotated.

LF to LR
RF to RR
LR to spare
Spare to RF
RR to LF

Goodyear, BFG, etc. recommend the above pattern for RWD vehicles.

The old advice to not switch sides with radial tires hasn't been true in probably 30+ years. :)

How often should they be rotated, or does it vary? I have 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers if it matters. Been noticing my fronts seem a bit more worn than the rears so I will be doing it soon anyway.

Jerry Bransford 06-24-2013 12:55 AM

Every 5k miles is my schedule but some tire manufacturers say every 7500 miles is fine too.

With your front tires wearing more than the back tires, check/adjust your toe-in setting. :)

Zdrisko 06-24-2013 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTBalla34 (Post 3893042)

How often should they be rotated, or does it vary? I have 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers if it matters. Been noticing my fronts seem a bit more worn than the rears so I will be doing it soon anyway.

Aren't Trail Grapplers directional?

VTBalla34 06-24-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zdrisko (Post 3893089)

Aren't Trail Grapplers directional?

Meaning they would need to stay on the same side (front to back/back to front)?

n00g7 06-24-2013 07:23 AM

F -> R, R -> F for directional. I personally wouldn't bother with the spare unless you plan on going to bigger tires. If you have the LSD in the rear, rotation is overrated. I only do it once to buy 4x tires all at the same time.

Zdrisko 06-24-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTBalla34 (Post 3893443)

Meaning they would need to stay on the same side (front to back/back to front)?

IF They are.. I had a set of Terra Grapplers, they're directional. Nitto makes a good soft tire. Not once did I have any death wobble but they only lived for about 30k miles.

jherrington 06-24-2013 07:48 AM

I was under the impression that you shouldn't swap sides because people would get in wrecks from loss of control more often..

Neil F. 06-24-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jherrington (Post 3893501)
I was under the impression that you shouldn't swap sides because people would get in wrecks from loss of control more often..


Loss of control from what? If you have non directional tires you should always switch sides.

Jerry Bransford 06-24-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jherrington (Post 3893501)
I was under the impression that you shouldn't swap sides because people would get in wrecks from loss of control more often..

Completely untrue.

flflash 06-24-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00g7 (Post 3893454)
F -> R, R -> F for directional. I personally wouldn't bother with the spare unless you plan on going to bigger tires. If you have the LSD in the rear, rotation is overrated. I only do it once to buy 4x tires all at the same time.

Wether you have LSD or not you still need to rotate tires on a regular basis. The idea is to evenly wear the tires On All Four corners.

Zdrisko 06-24-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flflash (Post 3893724)

wether you have lsd or not you still need to rotate tires on a regular basis. The idea is to evenly wear the tires on all four corners.

x2

UnlimitedRubicon 06-24-2013 09:38 AM

4 tires
http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/...psc1c23832.jpg

5 tires
http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/...rerotation.jpg

freeskier 06-24-2013 10:49 AM

The Trail Grapplers don't look directional. I don't really know of any truck/offroad tire that is directional. If they are directional you'll find an arrow on the sidewall showing direction of rotation. If they are asymmetrical you'll find a "This side out" on the sidewall.

Jerry Bransford 06-24-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeskier (Post 3894018)
The Trail Grapplers don't look directional. I don't really know of any truck/offroad tire that is directional. If they are directional you'll find an arrow on the sidewall showing direction of rotation. If they are asymmetrical you'll find a "This side out" on the sidewall.

X2. They don't look directional to me either so I sent Nitto an email earlier this morning asking if they are directional or not.

VTBalla34 06-24-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3894022)
X2. They don't look directional to me either so I sent Nitto an email earlier this morning asking if they are directional or not.

Ditto. I can't think of why they would be. Nitto is going to be wondering why they are getting innundated with emails asking about this all of a sudden lol

n00g7 06-24-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flflash (Post 3893724)
Wether you have LSD or not you still need to rotate tires on a regular basis. The idea is to evenly wear the tires On All Four corners.


No, you don't "need" to. Plenty of manufacturers now state it's unnecessary to rotate your tires. For example, how do you rotate with a staggered setup? You don't. Further, because many treads are directional, you don't even swap sides, so what's the point beyond increased wear on the drive tires, provided they wear evenly, which they should with an LSD or eLSD? If you leave everything as is you simply replace the rears about twice as often as the fronts or you could do one swap of F to R to replace at the same time.

freeskier 06-24-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00g7 (Post 3894186)
No, you don't "need" to. Plenty of manufacturers now state it's unnecessary to rotate your tires. For example, how do you rotate with a staggered setup? You don't. Further, because many treads are directional, you don't even swap sides, so what's the point beyond increased wear on the drive tires, provided they wear evenly, which they should with an LSD or eLSD? If you leave everything as is you simply replace the rears about twice as often as the fronts or you could do one swap of F to R to replace at the same time.

So you say you don't "need" to rotate your tires, but then say if you don't you need to replace the rear tires twice as often? Why would you do that? This may be a Jeep site but this is bad advice to be giving out if someone also owns an AWD vehicle. Just rotate and buy 4 new tires at once, it's not a good idea to have mismatched tread. Discount Tires does free rotation/balancing for life if you buy from them, I take advantage of that every oil change.

n00g7 06-24-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeskier (Post 3894199)
So you say you don't "need" to rotate your tires, but then say if you don't you need to replace the rear tires twice as often? Why would you do that? This may be a Jeep site but this is bad advice to be giving out if someone also owns an AWD vehicle. Just rotate and buy 4 new tires at once, it's not a good idea to have mismatched tread. Discount Tires does free rotation/balancing for life if you buy from them, I take advantage of that every oil change.


We don't have AWD vehicles though. And yes, twice as often because the fronts last twice as long.

freeskier 06-24-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00g7 (Post 3894209)
We don't have AWD vehicles. And yes, twice as often because the fronts last twice as long.

Says who? Just because this is a Jeep site doesn't mean we all own JUST Jeeps. Even at that it's still not a good idea IMO to have low tread on your steering axle and new tread on the drive axle.

n00g7 06-24-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeskier (Post 3894221)
Says who? Just because this is a Jeep site doesn't mean we all own JUST Jeeps. Even at that it's still not a good idea IMO to have low tread on your steering axle and new tread on the drive axle.

You replace the tires when they get low regardless of where they are located. That's what the wear bars are for. If you're above the wear bar, it's a perfectly good tire for front or rear.

Also, I didn't say for all vehicles, or even all jeeps for that matter. If you have an open diff in the rear you should rotate often.

Neil F. 06-24-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00g7 (Post 3894186)
No, you don't "need" to. Plenty of manufacturers now state it's unnecessary to rotate your tires. For example, how do you rotate with a staggered setup? You don't. Further, because many treads are directional, you don't even swap sides, so what's the point beyond increased wear on the drive tires, provided they wear evenly, which they should with an LSD or eLSD? If you leave everything as is you simply replace the rears about twice as often as the fronts or you could do one swap of F to R to replace at the same time.

Obviously if there mitigating factors, you can't rotate with some configurations or only move the f/r

Depending on weight distrubution l/r and or the roads you travel, the l/r can wear differently.

In the directional/same size f/r you are better off having them wear evenly. It's better not to have mixed tires. If you decide to change brand/treads or they stopped making the rears you now have to replace all 4 or go with a mixed set.

Maitre 06-24-2013 12:26 PM

My fav: front straight back. back x-cross to front. I leave the spare alone.

flflash 06-24-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00g7 (Post 3894186)
No, you don't "need" to. Plenty of manufacturers now state it's unnecessary to rotate your tires. For example, how do you rotate with a staggered setup? You don't. Further, because many treads are directional, you don't even swap sides, so what's the point beyond increased wear on the drive tires, provided they wear evenly, which they should with an LSD or eLSD? If you leave everything as is you simply replace the rears about twice as often as the fronts or you could do one swap of F to R to replace at the same time.

Took you an entire paragraph to explain you have no idea what your talking about!

I repeat the idea is to wear all tires evenly for best performance and tire life. LSD's have no bearing on that.

Jerry Bransford 06-24-2013 12:52 PM

Not to mention that very few tires are directional and that front tires tend to wear slightly faster due to tire scrub from the amount of toe-in that is required.

n00g7 06-24-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flflash (Post 3894318)
Took you an entire paragraph to explain you have no idea what your talking about!

I repeat the idea is to wear all tires evenly for best performance and tire life. LSD's have no bearing on that.


The amount of rubber you shed is the same regardless. And YES, an LSD means your rear tires are going to wear more evenly from L to R because the of the nature of torque delivery from the LSD. They're either both slipping or both gripping. You don't have that with an open diff.

In a staggered setup, tires are never rotated, and the world does not end. If you want to make them even between F&R every oil change, go for it, but one f/r swap at the right time gets both sets to the wear bars at the same time.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 PM.