Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Jeep is turtled... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/jeep-is-turtled-251378.html)

MrTurtle 06-24-2013 08:48 AM

Jeep is turtled...
 
So friends,

A few weeks ago, I come home from a day of work to find a huge pile of dirt piled into the driveway behind my house where I normally park my jeep. I called the landlord, and he said " Well, technically that's not YOUR parking spot, it's kind of a first come first serve, and we needed a place to put the dirt, so that's where we put it." This angered me a little, so after stewing over it, I thought to myself " I'll just park on top of it over the weekend while I'm not using the jeep - that'll show him! ". So I did.

However, this morning, when I started up the jeep to roll forward and get off the pile, I think I turtled myself. I can't get off the dirt pile :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: The back wheels will just spin and screech on the driveway - the jeep will push forward, like it's wanting to go, but I think I just don't have enough cleareance to make it all the way over and now I'm stuck. Only have a 2" lift on 30/9.5/15 tires, so not exactly a hardcore setup.

Any thoughts on how to get myself out? I was just going to go at it with a shovel tonight at some point, but was hoping I could do it without all the neighbors laughing at me....

Thanks for any and all help!

SurfKaster 06-24-2013 08:57 AM

Now that's funny. We need a pic. You mention the back wheels spinning, but not the front. Did you engage 4WD? Will the front wheels bite?

Wattapunk 06-24-2013 08:59 AM

Do you have it in 4WD? Have you tried backing it up instead of going forward?

speedyrev 06-24-2013 09:00 AM

Put it in 4Low, put boards under the back wheels to drive on to give you an inch or two of lift.

jeeps4u2nv88 06-24-2013 09:00 AM

You def need to post a picture!

MrTurtle 06-24-2013 09:08 AM

I did engage the 4wd, and it didn't look the front wheels were biting at all and I tried all three different modes. Not sure what it is...

Won't be able to get a pic until tonight at the earliest, and I may have to photoshop it to make it look like a mountain so I'm not the laughinstock of the forum.

The boards idea was something I thought might work, but wasn't sure.

scgeek12 06-24-2013 09:34 AM

subscribed for the photo :)

MrTurtle 06-24-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scgeek12 (Post 3893605)
subscribed for the photo :)

Only if you promise to laugh in secret and not publicly. I have no idea how it got stuck. It doesn't make sense, it looked like something I would just roll over like an anthill!

mackdj1 06-24-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scgeek12 (Post 3893605)
subscribed for the photo :)

x2

jeeps4u2nv88 06-24-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EspiritoSanto (Post 3893618)
Only if you promise to laugh in secret and not publicly. I have no idea how it got stuck. It doesn't make sense, it looked like something I would just roll over like an anthill!

Don't worry buddy, it happens to the best of us. Just make sure when you get it unstuck you do it in style. :rofl:

scgeek12 06-24-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EspiritoSanto (Post 3893618)
Only if you promise to laugh in secret and not publicly. I have no idea how it got stuck. It doesn't make sense, it looked like something I would just roll over like an anthill!

Lol deal! :thumb: cant say I have ever been in that situation, but definetly similar ones lol!

Duckquackers 06-24-2013 09:54 AM

subscribed for the Mountain climb!

flflash 06-24-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EspiritoSanto (Post 3893542)
so I'm not the laughinstock of the forum.

It may be a bit to late for that :rofl:

tallzdatank 06-24-2013 10:00 AM

get a friend, get a recovery rope, or tow strap and pull it out.

T2000J 06-24-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckquackers (Post 3893665)
subscribed for the mountain climb!

x3

MississippiDirtTJ 06-24-2013 10:03 AM

:popcorn:

Evpjr 06-24-2013 10:07 AM

Hook your winch cable to your landlords rig and yell fire! :-)

Flyfisher76 06-24-2013 10:14 AM

When i read turtled i figured you rolled it.....bottoming out isn't that big of a deal but i do want to see pictures :)

What is going to be really funny is when your landlord comes by and sees your jeep perched precariously on top of his freshly dumped dirt pile :D

ztman 06-24-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T2000J (Post 3893688)
x3

x4 :popcorn:

Arod_3 06-24-2013 10:21 AM

x5 :popcorn:

mackdj1 06-24-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyfisher76 (Post 3893723)
When i read turtled i figured you rolled it.....bottoming out isn't that big of a deal but i do want to see pictures :)

What is going to be really funny is when your landlord comes by and sees your jeep perched precariously on top of his freshly dumped dirt pile :D

Yup! A pic of the landlords face would be a bonus:D

PStov98TJ 06-24-2013 10:24 AM

Look on the bright side, at least it isn't stuck on a dirt pile at the mall :rofl: :D I'm just messing with you man. But I've gotta see these pictures too :popcorn:

And definitely try the old board trick, it should help. But make sure no one is standing around in case you spin a tire and one of them shoots out.

MrTurtle 06-24-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PStov98TJ (Post 3893763)
Look on the bright side, at least it isn't stuck on a dirt pile at the mall :rofl: :D I'm just messing with you man. But I've gotta see these pictures too :popcorn:

And definitely try the old board trick, it should help. But make sure no one is standing around in case you spin a tire and one of them shoots out.

Good point - that would bring way to much shame to the Jeep name. I'm off work at six, so it'll be a while before pictures, but they shall come!

MrTurtle 06-24-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mackdj1 (Post 3893753)
Yup! A pic of the landlords face would be a bonus:D

The dirt has been there for about a week and a half with no one coming to do anything with it - I was kind of hoping today would be they day they had scheduled to actually put the dirt to use and either a.) not be able to do anything about it and have to waste a day or b) dig out the jeep for me!

Barmanvarn 06-24-2013 10:34 AM

Subscribed.


Don't feel bad dude. Last Friday I was backing onto the grass in front of the local hooters for happy hour, right in front of the deck/patio.

Felt the rear wheels hop the curb, followed by a LOUD crash, followed by my tires spinning in the air. At first I thought I'd backed over a Prius.

I look over and the entire deck is looking at me. I somehow managed to back over a large rock that was in the grass. I was prob about 2 feet tall and had managed to high center on it.

At that point I wasn't worried about damage, I just wanted to get the heck out of my embarrassing situation. Dropped it in 4WD and the front tires managed to pull me off, after a lot of scraping.

I hung my head in shame and drove around back to park. Looked underneath and luckily all was well. Looked like my rear diff rode over the rock and the rock landed on the skid.

If I had not had such a large audience I would have taken picks of me on the rock.

Long story short, it happens.

sevenservices 06-24-2013 10:52 AM

I have an idea to get it out but I'm holding off until you post pics to share it with you.

LOL, seriously, just shovel the dirt from behind the front tires so they are not being stopped and back it out. Shouldn't be to bad to shovel two small tracks to drive it off. Or, let the air out of your tires for traction, down to about 18-20 pounds. And be sure its engaging four wheel drive.

If your back tires are spinning, let the air out of em. They'll grab a lot easier. And try to run the throttle without letting the rubber break loose. If its a manual, you may have to ride the clutch a little bit, just don't over do it. You'll be amaized how much better your tires grab with only half the air in them. Even on pavement.

Zdrisko 06-24-2013 11:02 AM

Been there, done that!
X..20? On the pics!

If you have something sturdy around, wrap a recovery strap around it and the other end around a tire. This method isn't recommended but if there's no other way... SLOWLY pull yourself out.

MrTurtle 06-24-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barmanvarn (Post 3893792)
Subscribed.


Don't feel bad dude. Last Friday I was backing onto the grass in front of the local hooters for happy hour, right in front of the deck/patio.

Felt the rear wheels hop the curb, followed by a LOUD crash, followed by my tires spinning in the air. At first I thought I'd backed over a Prius.

I look over and the entire deck is looking at me. I somehow managed to back over a large rock that was in the grass. I was prob about 2 feet tall and had managed to high center on it.

At that point I wasn't worried about damage, I just wanted to get the heck out of my embarrassing situation. Dropped it in 4WD and the front tires managed to pull me off, after a lot of scraping.

I hung my head in shame and drove around back to park. Looked underneath and luckily all was well. Looked like my rear diff rode over the rock and the rock landed on the skid.

If I had not had such a large audience I would have taken picks of me on the rock.

Long story short, it happens.



Haha, appreciate it. Nice to know I'm in good company. Second time in 8 months I've been stuck........I need to get bigger tires.......

MrTurtle 06-24-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenservices (Post 3893829)
I have an idea to get it out but I'm holding off until you post pics to share it with you.

LOL, seriously, just shovel the dirt from behind the front tires so they are not being stopped and back it out. Shouldn't be to bad to shovel two small tracks to drive it off. Or, let the air out of your tires for traction, down to about 18-20 pounds. And be sure its engaging four wheel drive.

If your back tires are spinning, let the air out of em. They'll grab a lot easier. And try to run the throttle without letting the rubber break loose. If its a manual, you may have to ride the clutch a little bit, just don't over do it. You'll be amaized how much better your tires grab with only half the air in them. Even on pavement.

That's a good idea - I should've thought about it, but I was pissed off and already running late for work. I'll have to try that tonight. Last time I got stuck I did that and it helped a lot, but I was also so deep in the mud that I had to take the tires off the wheels and clean them because they wouldn't seal to keep air in them. At least it's just dry dirt and rocks this time.

connochr 06-24-2013 11:33 AM

My friends father did that a long time ago. He had a rock driveway and had a pile of rock to be spread out dumped in the driveway while he was at work. When he came home (tired I guess) he drove over it with his Ford Taurus. He tried pulling it off, pushing it off and in the end he handed us shovels and 100 dollars to dig it out. Of course it wasn't a Jeep but still might be the only way in your situation.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.