Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Teraflex HD Tire Carrier (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/teraflex-hd-tire-carrier-251568.html)

foxsat71 06-24-2013 11:58 PM

Teraflex HD Tire Carrier

Anyone have any problems with the tire carrier? I heard the tire portion breaks off???

BIOHAZARDCYCLES 06-25-2013 12:07 AM

great i just ordered one this morning ..

AverageJK 06-25-2013 12:10 AM

yep, happens on 100% of them.

There are plenty of threads about the carrier lately, havent seen that except one persons.

foxsat71 06-25-2013 05:28 AM

Thanks AverageJK. I was contemplating buying one. I'll research it more.

Vin 06-25-2013 09:16 AM

Anyone have the link to the one that broke off? I find it hard to believe.

TeraFlex 06-25-2013 09:26 AM

We had a few instances where one of the portions did break because the tire carrier was not properly adjusted. We have since added some gusseting to the part and are providing them free of charge to anyone that has the old style and is concerned about it. Just give us a call at the shop if you want to swap it out.

J33P4M3 06-25-2013 09:49 AM

I just took delivery of my Teraflex HD carrier from Northridge 4x4. How can I tell if it is the "new" design?

brighton 06-25-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeraFlex (Post 3897199)
We had a few instances where one of the portions did break because the tire carrier was not properly adjusted. We have since added some gusseting to the part and are providing them free of charge to anyone that has the old style and is concerned about it. Just give us a call at the shop if you want to swap it out.

Is this the tire mount only, not the hinge? I'm using the stock mount with the Tereflex hinge, I'm assuming the hinge itself was not the issue based on what previously posted.

TeraFlex 06-25-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AverageJK (Post 3896520)

There are plenty of threads about the carrier lately, havent seen that except one persons.

To our knowledge this has only happened on a few Jeeps. We have guys running the stock style with 37's, and beadlocks, here that have not had a problem. Can you point me to where you saw all of them are breaking or are you just slandering?

Brighton the few that did break were just the tire mount plate, not even the mount.

We take pride in our products and take product failures very seriously. If we see even the smallest of issues appear we take action to fix them. In the case of the mount breaking it has been less than 1% of them sold that have failed and were reported to us. There is a reason we offer a lifetime warranty on most of our products and a 1 year warranty on our bushings. We design our stuff with abuse in mind and try to account for all situations, sometimes we get it wrong and we admit when we do. But we never leave the customer out to dry.

kjeeper10 06-25-2013 12:08 PM

Yea .... I've only seen one report of the TF carrier breaking. This can happen with any product and If there's one company to make things right it's Teraflex.

Kennyksu 06-25-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3897676)
This can happen with any product and If there's one company to make things right it's Teraflex.

I second that. I put their hinge and tire carrier on last week and this thing feels STOUT. I'm running 35s right now and will stop up to 37s. I misaligned a stud and damaged it during installation through my own fault. When I called Teraflex to see if I could buy a replacement from them they shipped me out a couple at no charge, allowing me to finish the install the same week. I took it up a pass last weekend and it doesn't rattle, shake, or make any noise (that's with the top off AND their high lift mount installed). Stuff happens, but TF seems to treat the customer right.

Matador 06-25-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AverageJK (Post 3896520)

Wow, way to overreact and drag a reputable company through the mud without a single piece of credible evidence.

I personally have the hinge and tire carrier. Both are incredibly solid pieces. I have had 0 issues with either (there goes your 100% estimate).

County98 06-25-2013 12:47 PM

Pretty sure he was making a joke.

I have the full setup and love it. I've only seen pictures of one cracked and looks like it was an installation issue. Looked like the weight of the tire was free floating instead of snugged up.

There's always gonna be a freak mishap here and there, but I certainly dont foresee any issues with mine.

I run 33's and a tailgate table.

AverageJK 06-25-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matador (Post 3897752)

Wow, way to overreact and drag a reputable company through the mud without a single piece of credible evidence.

I personally have the hinge and tire carrier. Both are incredibly solid pieces. I have had 0 issues with either (there goes your 100% estimate).

Way to miss a joke followed up by me saying I've only seen it on one person's.

brighton 06-25-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AverageJK (Post 3897963)

Unfortunately, jokes don't always translate well over the interweb. I actually did a double-take myself. Although I'm not a huge fan of smilies, this was probably a case where one of these :D would have prevented the reaction from some.

I run with a 35 on the TF HD hinge and love it. I'll be getting the tire mount at some point, but the hinge has been fantastic and everything I'd hoped - well-engineered and solidly constructed yet light weight.

Matador 06-25-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AverageJK (Post 3897963)

Quote:

Originally Posted by brighton (Post 3898173)
Unfortunately, jokes don't always translate well over the interweb. I actually did a double-take myself. Although I'm not a huge fan of smilies, this was probably a case where one of these :D would have prevented the reaction from some.

I run with a 35 on the TF HD hinge and love it. I'll be getting the tire mount at some point, but the hinge has been fantastic and everything I'd hoped - well-engineered and solidly constructed yet light weight.

Yeah, throw up some :D:rofl::) or just "JK". Believe it or not there are some over exaggerating complainers on these internets.

BostonStrong77 06-25-2013 03:17 PM

Glad I kept reading to see that Teraflex is a good brand. Was just about to place an order! Does anyone know if the have a WF discount?

Barmanvarn 06-25-2013 03:21 PM

Best price if found is $600 shipped. Just saw a post on here of a guy selling his. Month old, $600 or best offer.

kEat 06-25-2013 03:47 PM

Mine sits cockeyed, and I'm not really sure why. The passenger side of the tire sits closer to the tailgate than the other side (this can clearly be seen by how much more squashed the bumpstop is). I was told by Teraflex that my setup is correct... So look out for that, I guess.

Also, I'm not entirely sure that the tire carrier alone does anything to protect the integrity of the spot welds. I'm sure the carrier itself can support a heavier tire than the cheapo OEM carrier, but it's still attached to the tailgate in the same exact holes and it's all being supported by the tailgate. The description claims to spread the load out to more mounting points... But it's the same mounting points. Unless of course this description is a copy/paste from the hinge, I don't see how it works.

Also, it wobbles like crazy when I shut the tailgate. It makes me nervous seeing it shake that much. I can only assume this is because the tire doesn't sit exactly center with the tire mount (slightly above it, and even hire if you have a larger tire), so the inertia keeps the top of the tire moving backwards. This may not be a problem, I'm not sure how Teraflex tests their products, but like I said it just makes me nervous.

So that's my 2 cents. I don't like the terrible wobble, and I don't like their "that's normal" answer to my cockeyed seating issue. I'm kind of wishing I went with the OR-FAB carrier, but I'm also kind of weighing my options of getting the hinge for it as well. Maybe it'll cure my ailments, maybe it wont. I'm just unimpressed at the moment and don't know if I want to risk that much money and continue to have the same seating issue.

photostu 06-25-2013 03:55 PM

just out of curiosity, what is the stock carrier rated for? Can it handle a 35" tire?

County98 06-25-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kEat (Post 3898370)
Mine sits cockeyed, and I'm not really sure why. The passenger side of the tire sits closer to the tailgate than the other side (this can clearly be seen by how much more squashed the bumpstop is). I was told by Teraflex that my setup is correct... So look out for that, I guess.

Also, I'm not entirely sure that the tire carrier alone does anything to protect the integrity of the spot welds. I'm sure the carrier itself can support a heavier tire than the cheapo OEM carrier, but it's still attached to the tailgate in the same exact holes and it's all being supported by the tailgate. The description claims to spread the load out to more mounting points... But it's the same mounting points. Unless of course this description is a copy/paste from the hinge, I don't see how it works.

Also, it wobbles like crazy when I shut the tailgate. It makes me nervous seeing it shake that much. I can only assume this is because the tire doesn't sit exactly center with the tire mount (slightly above it, and even hire if you have a larger tire), so the inertia keeps the top of the tire moving backwards. This may not be a problem, I'm not sure how Teraflex tests their products, but like I said it just makes me nervous.

So that's my 2 cents. I don't like the terrible wobble, and I don't like their "that's normal" answer to my cockeyed seating issue. I'm kind of wishing I went with the OR-FAB carrier, but I'm also kind of weighing my options of getting the hinge for it as well. Maybe it'll cure my ailments, maybe it wont. I'm just unimpressed at the moment and don't know if I want to risk that much money and continue to have the same seating issue.

I think the carrier itself would just give adjustable height and is more heavy duty than stock. It's still bolted to flimsy tailgate and stock hinges? The hinge seems rock solid and takes all the weight of tire/carrier/tailgate/table.

Just my. 02. I have both and seems very sturdy. I also have no wobble, but its very new...

Matador 06-25-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kEat (Post 3898370)

The tire carrier itself is mainly designed to move the tire up and into the body If your wheels are running a lower offset. The side advantage is that its made of stronger aluminum and is a beefier set up compared to the stock tire carrier. It won't necessarily help with the prevention of spot welds popping when your running a heavier tire.

kEat 06-25-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by County98 (Post 3898437)
I think the carrier itself would just give adjustable height and is more heavy duty than stock. It's still bolted to flimsy tailgate and stock hinges? The hinge seems rock solid and takes all the weight of tire/carrier/tailgate/table.

Just my. 02. I have both and seems very sturdy. I also have no wobble, but its very new...

Yeah that's what I expected as well. It's definitely a just more rugged carrier, and it tucks my tire in nice and close to the tailgate with the lower offset. It's just the way they describe it is sort of misleading, saying it takes the load off the tailgate by spreading the mounting points out, when in reality it's the same exact load at the same exact points. The load only gets spread out if you buy the hinge as well.

But nonetheless my still sits at an awkward angle and shakes like hell. And I didn't buy it for to save my tailgate, I wasn't worried about that with a 33" tire.

TeraFlex 06-25-2013 04:40 PM

You guys are correct. If you are running just the tire carrier portion and not the hinge portion the tail gate is still carrying the load. I see where you mean about the description on the website under the tab. That does look like a paste from the whole carrier kit and I'll let the website guys know it's in the wrong place and they can hopefully get it changed.

brighton 06-25-2013 05:26 PM

Maybe this is just semantics, but so everyone is speaking the same language, I think of the individual kits as follows:

1. HD Hinged Carrier
2. Adjustable Tire Mounting Kit

Put them together, and you have the HD Hinged Carrier and Adjustable Tire Mounting Kit. These links are from Q-tec because they're easier to link to, but they are basically the same as Teraflex's descriptions.

It's the Hinged Carrier that spreads the load, the Adjustable Tire Mounting kit adjusts the height and how close the spare sits against the tailgate. The stock tire mount can be used with the Hinged Carrier, but with the caveats that the stock mount is probably not as strong as Teraflex's and can't be raised or adjusted closer to the tailgate.

I agree the description of the Adjustable Tire Mounting kit is misleading as it looks like a copy and paste from the HD Hinged Carrier kit.

KurtVW 06-25-2013 05:45 PM

I installed my hd carrier back in February. No issues, no concerns. I have little doubt that it is the sturdiest part of my jeep!

Barmanvarn 06-25-2013 05:47 PM

Sorta off-topic but since we're all here....

How much does this thing weigh? It's aluminum so I assume its pretty light?

TeraFlex 06-25-2013 06:26 PM

43Lbs for the whole kit.

Barmanvarn 06-25-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeraFlex (Post 3898836)
43Lbs for the whole kit.

Thanks.

Planning to buy. Just working on finding best deal. People keep offering to price match but no one wants to step up and give me the lowest price period. LOL

AverageJK 06-25-2013 09:10 PM

I think you are safe with $650 shipped, seems to be the standard price lately.