Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Wash, clay, polish, wax? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/wash-clay-polish-wax-251628.html)

DirtyTeddy 06-25-2013 09:31 AM

Wash, clay, polish, wax?

Wash, clay, polish, then wax. (Then seal?) would this be the correct order? Been searching through the threads and can't get a definite answer.

Is polishing necessary or can I just wash clay and wax?

If its recommend, I know ill need two cuts, what are you guys using?

Also, I have painted plastic fenders (white), could I use the Carnauba Mothers paste wax on them? I know not to get it on any black plastic pieces and have mothers back to black if needed.

Thanks for any input!

GT_IE 06-25-2013 09:45 AM

That's the right order. Check out this link for more detail. It is a great forum...

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle - Updated!!

Polish is optional. Pure polish doesn't clean and doesn't protect. It will help some on dark paints but very little on light colors.

jeff_in_rc 06-25-2013 12:45 PM

check out this:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/how...ep-172221.html

music_man185 06-25-2013 05:42 PM

that is the right order. personally, i like Meguiars line of products.

polishing isn't necessary. polishing will help restore your colors natural luster that gets lost over the years. in a fairly new vehicle, you probably won't notice any difference after polishing.

Threecard 06-25-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man185 (Post 3898886)
that is the right order. personally, i like Meguiars line of products.

polishing isn't necessary. polishing will help restore your colors natural luster that gets lost over the years. in a fairly new vehicle, you probably won't notice any difference after polishing.

I've had great result with Meguiars products as well, and have detailed vehicles using the steps you listed for some time.

Do this once a year and pay attention to where you park, and your paint will still look great ten years down the road...barring any wheeling incidents, of course. :):D

Cterrell2 07-01-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Threecard (Post 3899145)
I've had great result with Meguiars products as well, and have detailed vehicles using the steps you listed for some time.

Do this once a year and pay attention to where you park, and your paint will still look great ten years down the road...barring any wheeling incidents, of course. :):D

Meguiars has some fantastic products, I agree.

Definitely have to be mindful of where you park, this x 2 :thumb:

DirtyTeddy 07-02-2013 08:20 AM

Is it necessary to polish my 13 if paint is already in perfect condition?

jeff_in_rc 07-02-2013 09:28 AM

I would not think so, it is new after all.

DirtyTeddy 07-02-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc (Post 3920001)
I would not think so, it is new after all.

So I'm thinking just clay (rail dust) and wax

jeff_in_rc 07-02-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyTeddy (Post 3920108)

Sounds good to me DT!

krisbman 07-02-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyTeddy (Post 3920108)

Clay bar will scratch it if it has rail dust. Remember the clay is picking up the contaminant which is imbedding itself into the clay which in turn you are rubbing all over the paint. This is why i rarely clay bar anything. You will need to polish after the clay.

music_man185 07-02-2013 01:08 PM

Claying will not scratch if done properly. Wash first to remove any loose particles. And make sure to use plenty of lubricant for the clay bar

krisbman 07-02-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man185 (Post 3920655)
Claying will not scratch if done properly. Wash first to remove any loose particles. And make sure to use plenty of lubricant for the clay bar

Washing doesnt remove rail dust, its the whole reason clay was invented and yes it will scratch the paint.

DirtyTeddy 07-02-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisbman (Post 3920748)

Washing doesnt remove rail dust, its the whole reason clay was invented and yes it will scratch the paint.

It's from factory.. Fenders and top of windshield/ hood areas.

What do you recommend then?

krisbman 07-02-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyTeddy (Post 3920855)

It's from factory.. Fenders and top of windshield/ hood areas.

What do you recommend then?

Rail dust isnt from the factory its from riding on the rail cars. The wheels from the cars running on the tracks cause it. You will need to wash it then clay bar followed by a buff/ polish. If i were you id take it back to the deslership and they will fix it. That is covered under warranty.

DirtyTeddy 07-03-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisbman (Post 3921178)

Rail dust isnt from the factory its from riding on the rail cars. The wheels from the cars running on the tracks cause it. You will need to wash it then clay bar followed by a buff/ polish. If i were you id take it back to the deslership and they will fix it. That is covered under warranty.

Really don't feel like dropping off my jeep to them for a day

Greep 07-03-2013 03:49 PM

I always wash, polish, clay, then wax... Clay bars are amazing and make a huge difference! Just be sure to use a good clay bar lubricant.

Mcrock 07-03-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyTeddy (Post 3923235)

Really don't feel like dropping off my jeep to them for a day

I suggest the ICE clay bar kit then. It comes with a pre-cleaner that you apply before using the clay. The pre cleaner will take the bulk of rail dust off the jeep.
And as mentioned before, use plenty of lubricant with the clay bar.

1jeeplvr 07-04-2013 09:22 PM

Mud