Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off Road and External Lighting (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f132/)
-   -   Blowing fuses like a porn star (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f132/blowing-fuses-like-a-porn-star-251683.html)

FLBum352 06-25-2013 01:55 PM

Blowing fuses like a porn star
 
Hi All! Ok so I have a recurring problem....I have three off road lights on my bumper and wired with a relay.

I am constantly blowing the fuse between the battery and the relay. I even had the entire fuse holder melt one time....:doh:

So here is where I am at now.....

I replace the fuse (30a), lights turn on no issue, after about 10-20 minutes...fuse blows. Sometimes a lot longer, other times almost instant.

Also, I feel really comfortable with the wiring....I did not use the wires that came with the lights and upped the gauge to 12.

Any ideas?

n00g7 06-25-2013 02:04 PM

How many watts are the lights?

If 55W you should check the connections and wire itself. 165/12 = 13.75 Amps 30A fuse should be fine. If they're 100W you're getting close to where you'd want a 40A relay and fuse. 300/12 = 25A

FLBum352 06-25-2013 02:24 PM

They are 100 Watt.

Running 40a switch and 40a relay....

Now I guess I will have to get that monster fuse holder now....

FLBum352 06-25-2013 02:24 PM

But I have three 55w bulbs....so going to change the out to see if it makes a difference.

n00g7 06-25-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLBum352 (Post 3898293)
But I have three 55w bulbs....so going to change the out to see if it makes a difference.


Eh, just throw on the bigger fuse. The wire/fuse is heating up and then popping as resistance increases. 40A fuse should cover you just fine.

On second thought, 12AWG is pushing it for 300W. 8 would be a better choice. You'd be fine with the 55W's for sure though.

n00g7 06-25-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLBum352 (Post 3898290)
They are 100 Watt.

Running 40a switch and 40a relay....

Now I guess I will have to get that monster fuse holder now....


40a switch is irrelevant if you're using the relay correctly ;)

bc3_Jeep 06-25-2013 11:47 PM

I think jumping to 8 AWG is a bit MUCH when you could go to 10 AWG and be perfectly fine. The more flexible your wire.... the less likely to break in auto applications, as well.

You ARE misapplying the 12 AWG, as it is really only good for 20 Amps and you are pulling MOL 25 Amps.

If you have an issue with the relay, you can eliminate it and JUST use a switch, contrary to popular opinion, relays are NOT needed in most vehicle applications.

I would ALSO suspect a ground issue.... can cause excess current issues and poor connectivity..... ensure grounds are tight and clean (no rust/corrosion/paint).

FLBum352 06-26-2013 06:41 AM

All fixed! First guy was right! Thanks!

FLBum352 06-26-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bc3_Jeep (Post 3900067)
I think jumping to 8 AWG is a bit MUCH when you could go to 10 AWG and be perfectly fine. The more flexible your wire.... the less likely to break in auto applications, as well.

You ARE misapplying the 12 AWG, as it is really only good for 20 Amps and you are pulling MOL 25 Amps.

If you have an issue with the relay, you can eliminate it and JUST use a switch, contrary to popular opinion, relays are NOT needed in most vehicle applications.

I would ALSO suspect a ground issue.... can cause excess current issues and poor connectivity..... ensure grounds are tight and clean (no rust/corrosion/paint).

Sorry it's actually 10


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 AM.