Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Teraflex Leveling Kit Issue (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/teraflex-leveling-kit-issue-251859.html)

CollegiateJeeperDB 06-26-2013 09:41 AM

Teraflex Leveling Kit Issue
 
Hey guys,

I've had a leveling kit for a while now, but recently noticed a metal on metal clicking noise when going over in bump in the road, a gravel road, etc. I checked it out this past weekend and realized it was the control arms moving around inside of the holes they connect with on the front sway bar. I thought maybe they had come loose from the decent amount of off roading I had done over the winter and spring, thought I thought would be strange anyway. That doesnt seem to be the case though, as the nuts are secure as secure can be - it's as if the control arms are either 'eroding' for lack of a better term and becoming smaller that the sway bar hole, or the other way around. I just contacted Teraflex to ask them if I was missing a bushing (I know I used every part that came with the kit) or if they have heard of this happening before. How about any of you, does this ring a bell?

By the way, the off roading I did was mostly mud, but a few pretty bumpy parts on a couple trails, but that was taken slowly - not like I was destroying my suspension by flying over rocks. (Pulled out an f-150 on mud tires and a Ram 2500 with a 3" inch lift and 35" swampers who both got stuck, I have stock sahara tires - wranglers ftw :whistling:)

Thank for any help in advance!

TrueBlueJK 06-26-2013 10:17 AM

Have you been greasing them?

Barmanvarn 06-26-2013 10:19 AM

When you say control arms, do you mean the sway bar links? They link the sway bar to the axle.

Just confirming I'm following along correctly.

TeraFlex 06-26-2013 10:20 AM

Is it the control arm or the sway bar link that is having problems?

Barmanvarn 06-26-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeraFlex (Post 3901064)
Is it the control arm or the sway bar link that is having problems?

I think he meant the links, but the eroding part still has me confused.

OP, can you post a pic of the problem area?

hbgirl 06-26-2013 10:24 AM

I currently have the TF coil leveling kit, and the driver's side sway bar link came loose after a few months; tightening the bolt fixed the rattle for me.

Mckiven 06-26-2013 10:24 AM

Do you have the stock sway bar setup or the TFT quick release system or a rubi? I agree with previous answer of giving a good greasing. Water and dirt seem to dry the sway bar links out. I don't know about the stock or rubi setup but the quick disconnects have grease fittings in the bottom link only.

CollegiateJeeperDB 06-26-2013 10:27 AM

Hmm, I suppose I'm less mechanically aware than most of you. It could very well be the sway bar links, that's what I orignally thought, just getting the terms mixed up I guess. I'm at work but I'll try to snap some photos when I get home tonight to show the problem area specifcally.

In regards to the greasing, I greased them when I installed them late last year and once in February - not sure how that would even have an effect in this instance, but like I said, you guys know more than I do and I'll have to get some pics to be more specific.

Barmanvarn 06-26-2013 10:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CollegiateJeeperDB (Post 3901094)
Hmm, I suppose I'm less mechanically aware than most of you. It could very well be the sway bar links, that's what I orignally thought, just getting the terms mixed up I guess. I'm at work but I'll try to snap some photos when I get home tonight to show the problem area specifcally.

In regards to the greasing, I greased them when I installed them late last year and once in February - not sure how that would even have an effect in this instance, but like I said, you guys know more than I do and I'll have to get some pics to be more specific.

The leveling kit would have come with a set of new sway links.

Here's a pic of what we're talking about.



Attachment 265751

CollegiateJeeperDB 06-26-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbgirl (Post 3901081)
I currently have the TF coil leveling kit, and the driver's side sway bar link came loose after a few months; tightening the bolt fixed the rattle for me.

See I thought I could do the same, after grabbig a wrench and trying to at it, I discovered it's already as tight as it can be. Will look at it again tonight to confirm though.

TrueBlueJK 06-26-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barmanvarn (Post 3901102)
The leveling kit would have come with a set of new sway links.

Here's a pic of what we're talking about.



Attachment 265751

You have the links on upside down. Greaser should be on the bottom.

CollegiateJeeperDB 06-26-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barmanvarn (Post 3901102)
The leveling kit would have come with a set of new sway links.

Here's a pic of what we're talking about.



Attachment 265751

Yeah that's exactly it - and now looking at it again, I guess it would be the bolt that's potentially "eroding" - I just find that very hard to believe though. It seems as though the bolt just won't tighten anymore though, I couldn't seem to figure out what the issue was. Definitely going to take another look at it tonight.

Barmanvarn 06-26-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlueJK (Post 3901112)

You have the links on upside down. Greaser should be on the bottom.

Actually mine is an older model. Grease fittings at both ends. But thanks for playing! :)

hbgirl 06-26-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CollegiateJeeperDB (Post 3901105)
See I thought I could do the same, after grabbig a wrench and trying to at it, I discovered it's already as tight as it can be. Will look at it again tonight to confirm though.

Hmmm ... make sure you're on flat pavement; I was at a very slight incline and it didn't budge, but when I moved to a flat surface it was easier to tighten.

Definitely frustrating; I was bouncing on the rockslider, really moving the Jeep around while my husband was in the front trying to locate the rattle. It had been driving me crazy for a week! :rofl:

Barmanvarn 06-26-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbgirl (Post 3901132)

Hmmm ... make sure you're on flat pavement; I was at a very slight incline and it didn't budge, but when I moved to a flat surface it was easier to tighten.

Definitely frustrating; I was bouncing on the rockslider, really moving the Jeep around while my husband was in the front trying to locate the rattle. It had been driving me crazy for a week! :rofl:

A week? You're lucky.

I had a rattle for a month before I realized the lower quick disco bolts had come loose. That was about a year ago.

A little loctite and no issues since.

CollegiateJeeperDB 06-26-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbgirl (Post 3901132)
Hmmm ... make sure you're on flat pavement; I was at a very slight incline and it didn't budge, but when I moved to a flat surface it was easier to tighten.

Definitely frustrating; I was bouncing on the rockslider, really moving the Jeep around while my husband was in the front trying to locate the rattle. It had been driving me crazy for a week! :rofl:

Haha, exact same thing, I was bouncing on it and had my dad take a look to see what was casuing the noise. I find it hard to believe anything is eroding, but he seems to think it is literally as tight as it can be - our driveway isn't very level though so I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

Goldrif 06-26-2013 12:17 PM

I am doing my leveling kit install this weekend, I hope I don't mess it up.

viv18 06-26-2013 05:21 PM

Did mine yesterday, in less then 3 hours. No problems during install or driving afterwards.

TrueBlueJK 06-26-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viv18 (Post 3902344)
Did mine yesterday, in less then 3 hours. No problems during install or driving afterwards.

How did you get the rear springs back in after installing the spacer? I had to go to autozone and buy spring compressors.

kjeeper10 06-26-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlueJK (Post 3902587)

How did you get the rear springs back in after installing the spacer? I had to go to autozone and buy spring compressors.

The rears are easy compared to the fronts. The fronts you have to deal with the bumpstops.

TrueBlueJK 06-26-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3902652)
The rears are easy compared to the fronts. The fronts you have to deal with the bumpstops.

Bumpstops? They're not in the way.

Barmanvarn 06-26-2013 07:02 PM

I recall that I was able to get the 2nd rear spring partially in and then had to whack it with a mini sledge.

Of course that was my third attempt. Don't ask about my first two tries. I'd never done suspension work before so it was an adventure.

kjeeper10 06-26-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlueJK (Post 3902678)

Bumpstops? They're not in the way.

More of a issue with longer springs but I always find the front to be a pain with the bumpstops through the coils.
Get the rear frame as high as possible and the axle dropped, the rear coils should fall right out.

TrueBlueJK 06-26-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3902708)
More of a issue with longer springs but I always find the front to be a pain with the bumpstops through the coils.
Get the rear frame as high as possible and the axle dropped, the rear coils should fall right out.

It seems like the e brake line had maxed out for me which limited anymore down travel.

viv18 06-26-2013 07:23 PM

TrueBlueJK, one I disconnected the rear sway bar link at the lower end, gave me about two more inches. Used a crow bar and pushed up and over. Went on easy, also undid a wire clip.

kjeeper10 06-26-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlueJK (Post 3902729)

It seems like the e brake line had maxed out for me which limited anymore down travel.

E-brake ? The 2 heavy lines that are clipped to the underbody ?

Ali032373 06-26-2013 08:45 PM

I'm planning on installing this kit in the next few weeks. I've read the directions thoroughly but I'm still a little confused re: all the connecting lines like brakes and breather hoses, etc.

Barmanvarn 06-26-2013 08:48 PM

When I did mine I only disconnect shocks and sway links.

And on the front I had to disco the lower brake line bracket.

After that the springs almost fell out. Then just a little elbow grease getting them back in after the spacers were in place.

DozerJeeper 06-26-2013 09:45 PM

For those still looking to put these kits on, get the instructions for the performance leveling kit. It shows you all the cables and hoses to disconnect. Once you do this and drop the rear axle down the rear springs fall out and the new ones or ones with pucks should be cake to go in. I think the only problem with mine was the breather hose was stretching to max when I put the rear springs in. Other than that there was enough room to put the springs in by hand.

Goldrif 06-30-2013 10:04 AM

I need to loosen my control arms to put on the leveling kit. but I don't have the size socket wrench.. anyone know what the control arm bolt size is?
Thanks


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 AM.