Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Edmunds confirm diesel engine for the 2016 Wrangler (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/edmunds-confirm-diesel-engine-for-the-2016-wrangler-251899.html)

woansleftpeg 06-26-2013 01:58 PM

Edmunds confirm diesel engine for the 2016 Wrangler

2016 Jeep Wrangler To Get Diesel Engine | Edmunds.com

J33P4M3 06-26-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woansleftpeg (Post 3901784)

Perfect timing for me to sell my 2013 10A.

NFRs2000NYC 06-26-2013 02:23 PM

Wooooohooooo...music to my ears. Now I will pray they don't change the frame and body to the point that the JK parts don't fit and then I will trade mine in instantly!

Rubi513 06-26-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woansleftpeg (Post 3901784)

:thumb:

2013JKBulldog 06-26-2013 02:28 PM

I wrote to jeep trying to order a UK Diesel wrangler, there reply was unavailable for US market and that they would never sell them in the US market based on their research. I finally caved and purchased a 2013 JK Sahara

MCDavis 06-26-2013 02:28 PM

I haven't researched this much, so forgive the question: why do you want a diesel engine so badly?

ohioviper 06-26-2013 02:32 PM

Article quoted March 01, 2013
They also list it as the same Diesel that is available in the 2013 Ram 1500 which is not true.Its coming for the 2014 Ram 1500.

After owning a 2500 Cummins and paying $4 a gallon for Diesel I would be much more excited for a factory Hemi option.

NFRs2000NYC 06-26-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCDavis (Post 3901879)
I haven't researched this much, so forgive the question: why do you want a diesel engine so badly?

Torque. A vehicle like a Wrangler is very susceptible to weight gain. We add steel bumpers, winches, roof racks, skids, 35s, etc. Its very easy to get the Wrangler to over 6000lbs, nearly 6700 with a full payload. As a result, the V6 simply can't cope without being stressed, and even a V8 is not ideal. On top of that, all that weight makes you push the gas harder to get the vehicle to move, resulting in terrible fuel economy. Think of it as a heart. Putting a 5 year old's heart into a body of Arnold Swartznegger....it will have to work VERY hard to move all that blood around. Now think of a city bus. The payload of a city bus might be close to 10K pounds, but the bus is nearly as fast empty as it is full. On top of that is the range. A diesel would be able to go nearly 700 miles on a tank. Close to 1000 miles with a set of gerry cans. This makes expedition wheeling much more secure.

Sucker Punch 06-26-2013 02:34 PM

Although I would love to own a diesel Jeep I do not see it being worth the investment for me personally. I already have a diesel truck for work. I Have owned diesel trucks for more than 10 years and they are awesome for towing and longevity, but I gotta say I am tired of the diesel exhaust smell. That would really dampen my mood to get a big whiff of diesel exhaust while stopped at a traffic light with the top and doors off. Smell that fresh air... oh wait, that stinks!

NFRs2000NYC 06-26-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sucker Punch (Post 3901910)
Although I would love to own a diesel Jeep I do not see it being worth the investment for me personally. I already have a diesel truck for work. I Have owned diesel trucks for more than 10 years and they are awesome for towing and longevity, but I gotta say I am tired of the diesel exhaust smell. That would really dampen my mood to get a big whiff of diesel exhaust while stopped at a traffic light with the top and doors off. Smell that fresh air... oh wait, that stinks!

My cousin has a diesel BMW X5, and there is absolutely no smell to speak of. Diesel isn't for everyone, especially with the $4500 price hike.

ohioviper 06-26-2013 02:37 PM

The glory of owning a Diesel is not so glorious after you actually own one.
You will never come out ahead on the added cost of the engine over a gas by fuel savings as long as Diesel is near $4 and gas is under $3.50.

Even knowing this I would still be hard pressed to pass one up.
I am anxious to see what the weight of the engine is versus the gas. The Cummins in my Ram was eating the front end because it was so heavy.It also sank like a rock in the mud.

MCDavis 06-26-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 3901903)
Torque. A vehicle like a Wrangler is very susceptible to weight gain. We add steel bumpers, winches, roof racks, skids, 35s, etc. Its very easy to get the Wrangler to over 6000lbs, nearly 6700 with a full payload. As a result, the V6 simply can't cope without being stressed, and even a V8 is not ideal. On top of that, all that weight makes you push the gas harder to get the vehicle to move, resulting in terrible fuel economy. Think of it as a heart. Putting a 5 year old's heart into a body of Arnold Swartznegger....it will have to work VERY hard to move all that blood around. Now think of a city bus. The payload of a city bus might be close to 10K pounds, but the bus is nearly as fast empty as it is full. On top of that is the range. A diesel would be able to go nearly 700 miles on a tank. Close to 1000 miles with a set of gerry cans. This makes expedition wheeling much more secure.

I was agreeing with your reasoning right up to the 700/tank comment. I run my JKU to the low fuel warning on occasion, and still have never put in 20 gallons. To get 700 miles, you'd have to get over 35 mpg based on my experience. Are you saying a diesel Wrangler will get that?

13jwrangler 06-26-2013 02:41 PM

I don't think the rising price of gas and the proposed mpg, if its even remotely close to the Grand Cherokees, would be enough to persuade me to invest in a 2016 Wrangler. I suppose the word "invest," shouldn't be used while talking about vehicles but that's just my opinion. Anyways, a diesel motor seems to be far to costly for the proposed option.

dawhitesJKU 06-26-2013 02:41 PM

will it be an option like the 2014 grand cherokee which will be like a 5k difference from the base engine?

JLundy92 06-26-2013 02:41 PM

Great News

2013JKBulldog 06-26-2013 02:43 PM

The Diesel Wrangler gets 32 MPG plus supplies enough torque to pull a house. Don't know if you remember 5 years back Jeep put the Diesel in the Liberty sold out of them by the second quarter, which left a boat load of normal gas liberty s sitting on the lots. They stopped using the Diesel engine after that

Travis64 06-26-2013 02:44 PM

Cant wait

NFRs2000NYC 06-26-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCDavis (Post 3901918)
I was agreeing with your reasoning right up to the 700/tank comment. I run my JKU to the low fuel warning on occasion, and still have never put in 20 gallons. To get 700 miles, you'd have to get over 35 mpg based on my experience. Are you saying a diesel Wrangler will get that?

Absolutely. From the factory, I'd expect it to get about 28-29 (GC gets 28 but is heavier) but with a slightly improved tune (remember, diesels have turbos, so you have A LOT of room for improvement) you would probably be able to nudge it just above 30 or so. With careful driving (hypermiling) you would be able to get it higher.

With a 19 gallon tank, at 28 MPG, you have 532 miles or range. Thats about 200 more than the Pentastar. The GC gets an advertised 730 per tank, but I do believe it has a larger tank. So even at a conservative 532 miles of tank range, plus another 10 gallons of gerrys (280 miles) you would have 812 miles of range. That is a VERY significant amount of driving.

On my road trip from NJ To Moab, I filled up 7 times, and I don't have 35" tires (I have 33s), I have 3.21s, it was 100% highway with zero traffic, at 65mph or above. A diesel would have done that trip with 3 fillups, 4 at the most.

NFRs2000NYC 06-26-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2013JKBulldog (Post 3901941)
The Diesel Wrangler gets 32 MPG plus supplies enough torque to pull a house. Don't know if you remember 5 years back Jeep put the Diesel in the Liberty sold out of them by the second quarter, which left a boat load of normal gas liberty s sitting on the lots. They stopped using the Diesel engine after that

Thats the 4 banger though. I'd say the V6 might be a tad less (but not much)...but it is a more modern engine, so it very well may be AS efficient if not better.

ohioviper 06-26-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2013JKBulldog (Post 3901941)

Owned a Liberty wifes ride. The reason they had boatloads of the gassers on the lot is because they had shit tons of problems with ball joints and wheel assemblys flying off going down the road.The Diesel was the only option worth putting up with its other issues.

NFRs2000NYC 06-26-2013 02:49 PM

Diesel engines if well designed and well maintained also last forever. I'd expect the tub to literally rot away before the motor gives up the ghost.

dawhitesJKU 06-26-2013 02:49 PM

i was selected for a consumer research last year. They paid me $200 cash to give a thorough review on the jk. i even got to ride in a new 2013 model before it was even released.

most of my complaints were the 3.21 gearing, the back seats, and the lack of power produced in the low rpm range. In light of all my complaints, i informed them that a f/i engine or diesel should suffice the demands of offroad use, and dd fuel economy.

I guess they are listening to us users.

MCDavis 06-26-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 3901953)
Absolutely. From the factory, I'd expect it to get about 28-29 (GC gets 28 but is heavier) but with a slightly improved tune (remember, diesels have turbos, so you have A LOT of room for improvement) you would probably be able to nudge it just above 30 or so. With careful driving (hypermiling) you would be able to get it higher.

With a 19 gallon tank, at 28 MPG, you have 532 miles or range. Thats about 200 more than the Pentastar. The GC gets an advertised 730 per tank, but I do believe it has a larger tank. So even at a conservative 532 miles of tank range, plus another 10 gallons of gerrys (280 miles) you would have 812 miles of range. That is a VERY significant amount of driving.

On my road trip from NJ To Moab, I filled up 7 times, and I don't have 35" tires (I have 33s), I have 3.21s, it was 100% highway with zero traffic, at 65mph or above. A diesel would have done that trip with 3 fillups, 4 at the most.

Ok, you're making more sense to me now. 28-29 and 532 miles is more realistic to me in stock form w/o cans than 35 and 700 miles.

However, I would still have trouble with a $4,000 - $5,000 premium for diesel for my purposes, which is daily driver, some beach driving, some trails.

ohioviper 06-26-2013 02:54 PM

Modern Diesels are no doubt going to last longer than a gasser but with the Ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel they dont last nearly as long as they used to.The new fuel lacks the lubricants of the older sulfer fuel and the injector and cylinder life has been cut in half . The robust Cummins wher notorious for going 300-500k miles before needing injectors .Now with ULSD some are loosing injectors before the 100k warranty is up.Some are also seeing cylinder scaring under 150k miles where with the sulfer fuel some went over 1m miles before needing a rebuild.

Knowing that I would still be hard pressed to pass one up. :)

NFRs2000NYC 06-26-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohioviper (Post 3901986)
Modern Diesels are no doubt going to last longer than a gasser but with the Ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel they dont last nearly as long as they used to.The new fuel lacks the lubricants of the older sulfer fuel and the injector and cylinder life has been cut in half . The robust Cummins wher notorious for going 300-500k miles before needing injectors .Now with ULSD some are loosing injectors before the 100k warranty is up.Some are also seeing cylinder scaring under 150k miles where with the sulfer fuel some went over 1m miles before needing a rebuild.

You are right about that, but Im talking about the motor itself. Generally they are pretty bulletproof. Agree with you again on the modern crap fitted to diesels, basically neutering them a bit. However, they will last AT LEAST as much as a gasser, and with tuning, you can expect a diesel wrangler to have 300hp and 550ft/lbs of torque. Like I said, a diesel isn't for everyone. Many won't have a practical purpose for one.

Im also banking on the fact that someone in the government will realize that clean diesel is the future (maybe or next president) after all the electric cars go bust, and our government will finally start subsidizing diesel (like Europe) and the price will drop. Even with the added cost, it would be a worthwhile purchase for me.

LoveJiuJitsu 06-26-2013 03:06 PM

So, that gives me until 2017/2018 to enjoy my new JKU. I refuse to buy the first couple years of a new production model.

NFRs2000NYC 06-26-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveJiuJitsu (Post 3902014)
So, that gives me until 2017/2018 to enjoy my new JKU. I refuse to buy the first couple years of a new production model.

Well at that point, it would have been used in a Jeep for nearly 5 years, not in a Wrangler, but still. Personally, I don't care. That's what warranties are for :D When it comes to Jeeps, I have one rule...is it better? If the answer is yes, I want it NOW.

Cdwright 06-26-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sucker Punch (Post 3901910)

Switch to used cooking oils and smell like a restaurant.

Bayouwolf 06-26-2013 03:33 PM

IF this comes to fruition...I could very easily see a custom ordered 2017 Rubicon in my garage. (I'm with LJJ on this one and even though the engine may be old hat by then, you can almost guarantee at least a modest redesign of the JK in 2016)...

This could be the deal that keeps me from modding my 2013 and saving all those pennies instead. I'll be watching the interwebs for as much information as I can get my eyeballs on.

NFRs2000NYC 06-26-2013 03:34 PM

Another good point. In a pinch a diesel will run on many other things. In the event a natural disaster occurs (like Sandy) when there is no fuel to be found anywhere, you can march down to your local grocery story and pick up 10 gallons of oil and keep on truckin.