Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   snow ! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/snow-25195.html)

maddmax91 01-14-2009 06:55 PM

snow !

well we just got hammered up here in northwest indiana this past week with snow and have about a foot of snow with 4 feet snowdrifts! needless to say i love drivin through snow in my Jeep!

well i was at a park drivin through and a 2wd car decides to attempt getting back there, with no luck. I got out and offered help but with no tow-ropes i was pretty much useless. so i drive back home to get a shovel and when i came back she was still stuck. luckily she called the cops to help her so i turned to get around her to exit and got stuck in a 4 foot snow drift!!!!:banghead: im sure she loved seeing the badass invincible jeep get stuck in the snow :(

anyways, thats my snow story of the day.

(the ladys excuse for trying to get back there is that she wanted a quiet place to study!)

speepdaedeesi 01-14-2009 07:01 PM

was she hot? lol

yeah here in nny (southern canada) its pretty cold. -11 with a -26 windchill tonight. theres been snow on the ground for a few weeks now.

its not too bad once you get used to it. you tend to learn exactly when to switch on the 4hi, and when its just too much fun to keep it off.

at the exit to my neighborhood theres a steep incline you have to drive up to get onto the main road. i purposefully leave 4 feet between the front of my jeep and the car in front of me while waiting at that stop sign, because once its their turn, they will just spin and spin and spin the tires, until they start sliding backwards.

theres been a few times ive slowly gone up beside a 2wd truck and asked if they needed a push lol.

this guy across the street drives a big dodge ram 2wd with huge tires and he thinks itll walk over anything.. but he has to go around the long way because he cant get grip up that incline lol. he has his toolbox full of salt for when he gets stuck.

infamousbliss 01-14-2009 07:11 PM

it happens. i went out with my 4 y/o last winter and was traveling some wide snowmobile trails when things got to tight. i had to turn around. as soon as i tried to i buried myself up to the frame cause i got off the packed snow. my buddy came up gave me a tug and i got out. unfortuatley we had to back all the way out of the woods. (about5 miles) yeah i had a neck cramp for a week.

Unlimited 01-14-2009 07:19 PM

It's a bit chilly here today too.... It never got warmer that 73. Man, I hate these cold winter days.

chesterspl 01-14-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

It's a bit chilly here today too.... It never got warmer that 73. Man, I hate these cold winter days.
Where are you, I am coming to visit. It was about 40 all day today, and Friday it's only going to be like 25. With all that no snow and none in sight, just COLD

Gumpit 01-14-2009 08:13 PM

Forget him? Where are you? It was 15 here today and Friday will be closer to 0 ..I'm just glad I put a hotter thermostat in my Jeep...What a difference on the heat coming out of the vent.... Randy

speepdaedeesi 01-14-2009 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumpit (Post 308485)
Forget him? Where are you? It was 15 here today and Friday will be closer to 0 ..I'm just glad I put a hotter thermostat in my Jeep...What a difference on the heat coming out of the vent.... Randy

is that a galaxy cb in your avatar?

afrats 01-14-2009 11:22 PM

I wish we had snow...well maybe not until I am off the crutches. Snow would be very difficult for me right now. Plus, it would make me want to be in the jeep real bad.

B86W05 01-15-2009 12:19 AM

Thursdays a high of 8 and low of -9 its COLD

ninjaboy76 01-15-2009 12:49 AM

I hate snow, but having two 4wd vehicles certainly makes it fun. The jeep does pretty good in the snow, but not as good as my big '92 GMC Sierra 4x4. I'm thinking the wieght of the truck helps. With 4wd engaged it doesn't even notice any snow or ice. The jeep can get a little squirrely at times, but is not horrible.

rallykid 01-15-2009 01:00 AM

Record low here today of -19F. I thought my hard top was going to shatter on the way to work it was creaking so badly. Sadly they finally plowed my road so no more playing in the drifts on the way to work. I am just glad the wife has 4wd in her little Tracker too otherwise I would be leaving extra early to take her in everyday. It's no Wrangler but it gets her through the snow ok.

I make a few passes when it gets bad and knock the drifts down as much as I can......usually with my bumper, and then everyone in the sub tries to ride my tracks out. :p

jp'rs_peep'rs 01-15-2009 10:01 AM

Today: Sunny and cold, with a high near -1. Wind chill values between -25 and -30. West wind around 15 mph.

Tonight: Clear, with a low around -17. Wind chill values between -30 and -40. West wind around 15 mph.

Friday: Sunny and cold, with a high near 4. Wind chill values between -30 and -40. West wind around 15 mph.

"Silver" & I are going to venture lightly over the next 48hrs.
C.

skeeter 01-15-2009 10:21 AM

I feel your pain.
We've finally broken out of our battle with global warming.

nvr-enough 01-15-2009 12:36 PM

this morning real temp (not wind chill!): around -16
currently: -10
Online says it feels like: -30 :eek:
its not suppose to get above 0 until tmrw afternoon...
high tomorrow:7

whiteyj 01-15-2009 12:53 PM

Another boring January day. It's 45 here and supposed to be heading for 70. Putting the shorts on today.:D

B86W05 01-15-2009 03:38 PM

i think it time for a roadtrip that weather sounds wonderful the snow is fun but the cold sucks

G54 01-15-2009 05:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A couple days ago people were stuck in the road cuz in got about 10" deep before the plow came down. Pretty cool though - I get to go snow wheelin' everyday on my street.

whiteyj 01-15-2009 05:52 PM

That just doen't look like fun. While I have to drive three hours to get into the funny white stuff, I enjoy it for an hour or two and then can come back to our nice warm reality.

maddmax91 01-15-2009 06:38 PM

so do any of you guys plow with ur jeeps? i always wanted to but my 4banger would die :(

infamousbliss 01-15-2009 07:46 PM

my wife was in the shower last night and the well froze. haven't unfroze it yet. took tomorrow off to fix it but it's still going to be in the negatives. lucky me. i have a 16inch crawl space under my house and boy does that sound like fun or what?

Gumpit 01-15-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speepdaedeesi (Post 308627)
is that a galaxy cb in your avatar?

No.That is a Uniden Grant LT converted to blue LEDS and if you didn't notice it is on channel 108... It has a 3 digit readout mod.No need for maps or switches... Check out the Yahoo group " the_mod " Randy

Triple88a 01-15-2009 10:41 PM

hhmm i gotta look for a recovery strap.. i keep seeing people spun out or stuck and i cant help them out.

tiny terror 01-15-2009 10:43 PM

8k posts and no recovery strap? Oh dear.

Triple88a 01-15-2009 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 309008)
8k posts and no recovery strap? Oh dear.

heh :) my saved up money went towards a bike at the end of the summer, then a new computer since my old one blew and then a couple more hundred went to diagnose and fix my jeep since it was leaking coolant all over the place.. (waterpump) At last i bought couple books for college and whatever is left over will go to pay for my tuition loan :(

stuff adds up tiny. I want to get a recovery strap but for some reason whenever i want to get one i'm broke.

tiny terror 01-15-2009 11:36 PM

Can't wheel without gear. Trail kits can get expensive (though a simple strap is not), but they are an absolute necessity.

skeeter 01-16-2009 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 309005)
hhmm i gotta look for a recovery strap.. i keep seeing people spun out or stuck and i cant help them out.

If you start helping people out, be very very careful. most of these new recycled aluminum cans people drive around have no good solid recovery points and it would be very easy to do damage if you do it wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBkW8DSUII4

G-Pur 01-16-2009 11:39 AM

G-Pur says to the guy in the video: You're doing it wrong!

RiponredTJ 01-16-2009 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeter (Post 309191)
If you start helping people out, be very very careful. most of these new recycled aluminum cans people drive around have no good solid recovery points and it would be very easy to do damage if you do it wrong.

YouTube - Car Stuck In Snow

Anyone who gets stuck like that idiot deserves to get his rear end ripped off by the even bigger idiot in the pickup.

I mean how do you get stuck when there's not even any snow on the road. And then the brainiac in the truck just keeps pulling him further into the snowbank.

What a comedy of errors.

stevens243 01-16-2009 02:54 PM

I think that if I was that stupid, I would post proof of it on the interweb. Or, maybe if I was that stupid, I would...

Triple88a 01-16-2009 05:54 PM

haha that was worth it :) i also like the metal hooks on the recovery strap.