Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   2005 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (LJ Rubicon) (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/2005-wrangler-unlimited-sahara-lj-rubicon-252042.html)

MarkGLHS 06-27-2013 05:55 AM

2005 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (LJ Rubicon)
 
I found this on page 148 of the book “Jeep Wrangler From 1987”, Robert Ackerson:

As part of the alliance between Jeep and Paramount Pictures (i.e.: the movie “Sahara”), one thousand Limited Edition Wrangler Unlimited Sahara models were produced (2005). Based on the Jeep Unlimited Rubicon, the Limited Edition Sahara featured unique exterior and interior cues, including a chrome grill, accent colored fender flares, 30 in Moab wheels (that’s gotta be a typo Moab’s are 16”) with accent colors, exterior Sahara badges, and premium two tone seats. The Sahara was also fitted with tail lamp guards, a unique khaki colored spare tire cover and a serialized interior badge. The base MSRP for the Unlimited Sahara was $30,375 (ouch!).

The book does not provide any pictures.

Okay who has one of these LJ Rubi Sahara animals and can you post up some pictures showing the unique stuff on it? If they got the Moab wheels did they also get the MT/R tire? Since they are based on the LJ Rubicon these must have the locking diffs right? Is this the most expensive TJ they ever made? Thanks.

commodore_dude 06-27-2013 01:15 PM

Yes, they have all of the Rubi bits, plus a few extra cosmetic touches.

zacharyts 06-27-2013 08:37 PM

I bought my 06 LJ Rubi with all the extras from the original owner. The sticker price was over 32,000.

Squint 06-27-2013 09:13 PM

Yep my 05 unlimited rubicon was 33k or so sticker as well..

TJDave 06-27-2013 09:42 PM

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Rubicon. Only 1000 made. They are all khaki in color with special Sahara stickers, and special Moab wheels. Probably some other stuff too.
My club's President has one of the lucky ones that gets wheeled regularly...like a Jeep should.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...ejpeg_2-30.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...DSC03164_1.jpg

stangmata 06-27-2013 10:06 PM

I love showing mine off

First purchased

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/8...e/img_2242.jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/8...ather-(15).jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/9...e/img_3215.jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/8...e/img_2370.jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/8...e/img_2857.jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/9...e/img_3422.jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/9...e/img_3646.jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/9...e/img_1122.jpg

MarkGLHS 06-28-2013 02:33 AM

thanx for the info and pix folks.

STANGMATA your Sahara is great, thanks for sharing those pix. Are you the original owner? In one pix I think I see Duratrac tires but in other I think I see MT/R's, which tire did it originally come with? Can you post a close-up pix of interior including the serialized interior badge? Where is the exterior Sahara badge?

very cool Jeep.

my996duc1 06-29-2013 04:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is what I found on Wikipedia when I was looking at buying mine.
Sahara Edition Unlimited Rubicon: 2005, Paramount released the movie Sahara which featured a Jeep Wrangler. As a way to build on the success of the movie, Jeep released a limited production “Sahara Edition” Unlimited Rubicon.[14] Only 1000 were produced and each one is numbered. All of them are visually identical, but some were offered in a manual and others an automatic. They are all Light Khaki Unlimiteds. Trim differences over the standard Rubicon include chrome grille, color matched flares, khaki hard top or soft top, as well as optional dual khaki tops, Graphite Moab wheels, a Sahara spare tire cover, upgraded two-tone premium seats, Sahara decals, taillight guards, and a numbered dash badge.


Here is my 2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara .... but not one of the movie ones. Just simply a Rubicon Unlimited with the Sahara package added at the factory.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...71422392_o.jpg
-
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...53653679_o.jpg

MarkGLHS 06-29-2013 05:41 AM

^great pix.

can you clarify: you stated that yours is simply an LJ Rubi with the Sahara package, but the Sahara package was not available in 2005. are you saying yours in not one of the 1,000 numbered, limited edition LJ Saharas?

TJDave 06-29-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkGLHS (Post 3910660)
^great pix.

can you clarify: you stated that yours is simply an LJ Rubi with the Sahara package, but the Sahara package was not available in 2005. are you saying yours in not one of the 1,000 numbered, limited edition LJ Saharas?

I would think his is one, from what my buddy told me about his.
There was only one TJ Unlimited Sahara Rubicon, and that's the 1000 made.
The chrome grill is another factory add-on for that Special Edition.

Here is an old pic I found of his closer to stock.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...s/DSCN1405.jpg

MarkGLHS 06-29-2013 11:29 AM

thanx TJDAVE that makes sense. it's interesting how the fender flares are not body colored but rather are colored to match the wheel inserts. Also, this would be the only TJ with a factory chrome grill right? (plenty of YJ's got chrome grills).

it would be a nice collection to have both a Tomb Raider Rubicon and an Unlimited Sahara...both inspired by movies.

commodore_dude 06-29-2013 05:17 PM

The chrome grill was an option on regular LJs in 2006, I don't know about previous years or TJs. I remember seeing several LJs on the lot when I bought mine that had it, may have come with fancier seat fabric too IIRC.

smoothlandin 06-29-2013 06:42 PM

My 05 Unlimited has the premium package which includes color matched flares, my dash is black and silver( jeep is silver), and mine came with a chrome grill. There may be other options included, but I can't think what else.

Moabrubi 06-29-2013 11:03 PM

Almost stock Rubihara #722.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6f61d678.jpg

Only photo of it recently.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/...psec72e594.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/...pse64b635e.jpg

my996duc1 06-30-2013 12:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkGLHS (Post 3910660)
^great pix.

can you clarify: you stated that yours is simply an LJ Rubi with the Sahara package, but the Sahara package was not available in 2005. are you saying yours in not one of the 1,000 numbered, limited edition LJ Saharas?


Mine is a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with the Sahara package added.
Here is the window sticker :
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...97014021_o.jpg

and what it looked like in almost stock form:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...98796670_o.jpg

bbusch 06-30-2013 04:18 AM

Here is a great looking stock one still sporting its Sahara Badge. One of my favorite Jeeps of all time.


http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...TkwMy5qcGc.jpg


And here is the ad

http://www.rubiconsahara.com/wp-cont...ara01_1280.jpg


Here is the stock interior bagde

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...03_0647_00.jpg

MarkGLHS 06-30-2013 05:29 AM

EXCELLENT! great pix and info folks, including the window sticker....I can see how these are a $1,400 option to the LJ Rubicon.

I see one type of badging (decal) on the passenger side (2nd pix in post #15), but a different badge on the drivers side (the pix of the ad in post #16)....did they actually use two different badges/decals per vehicle?

does anyone have a good pix of the seats?

my996duc1 07-01-2013 05:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkGLHS (Post 3913103)
EXCELLENT! great pix and info folks, including the window sticker....I can see how these are a $1,400 option to the LJ Rubicon.

I see one type of badging (decal) on the passenger side (2nd pix in post #15), but a different badge on the drivers side (the pix of the ad in post #16)....did they actually use two different badges/decals per vehicle?

does anyone have a good pix of the seats?

2nd pic in post #15 is just the normal Sahara package added on decal.
pic in post #16 is the decal that denotes the Sahara movie limited edition Jeep.

_

MarkGLHS 07-01-2013 08:28 AM

^but aren't both the Limited Edition model?

In other words, would the LJ with the "normal" Sahara decal also have a numbered badge on the interior? Or are you saying the owner just slapped on a decal he bought over the counter?

There was no separate TJ Sahara model in 2005 (like there was 1997-2004), so are you saying that there were two different types of 2005 LJ Saharas: one being the numbered, "movie tribute" and the other being a "normal Sahara"?

It is still not clear to me if ALL of the 2005 LJ Rubicons with the Sahara package were limited edition, numbered, movie-tribute Jeeps. Thanks for clarifying it for me, I just want to have my Jeep history remembered correctly.

bbusch 07-01-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkGLHS (Post 3915961)
^but aren't both the Limited Edition model?

In other words, would the LJ with the "normal" Sahara decal also have a numbered badge on the interior? Or are you saying the owner just slapped on a decal he bought over the counter?

There was no separate TJ Sahara model in 2005 (like there was 1997-2004), so are you saying that there were two different types of 2005 LJ Saharas: one being the numbered, "movie tribute" and the other being a "normal Sahara"?

It is still not clear to me if ALL of the 2005 LJ Rubicons with the Sahara package were limited edition, numbered, movie-tribute Jeeps. Thanks for clarifying it for me, I just want to have my Jeep history remembered correctly.


There were 1000 LJ Rubicon Sahara models made in 2005 only.. my post above shows the badge that came with those models. Post 15 has a picture of a Jeep RS LJ with the badge removed and a 97-02 Sahara sticker replacing (confusing yes). In 2003 the badge for the Sahara changed and is not pictured above (was on 03-06 models and my particular favorite of all time Sahara badge) and that particular badge was only on SWB Sahara models that didn't come with 4.11 gearing, lockers and a 4.1 transfer case. The pictures I posted above are the Rubicon Sahara model stock and came with either soft or hard tops (or both). There were never any Sahara LJ models made except this limited edition (all were packed with the Rubicon goodies). Hope this clarifies.


:popcorn:

MarkGLHS 07-02-2013 04:39 AM

BBUSCH thanks for clarifying all that for me, makes sense now.

It is still weird how Jeep decided to put both Rubicon and Sahara badging/decals on the same wrangler. Two wrangler models put on one wrangler. I wonder if there are any other examples of where they ever put two model names on one wrangler, I can't think of any.

These LJ Rubi-haras have got to rank near the top of the list of interesting (and expensive) Wranglers.

stangmata 07-02-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkGLHS (Post 3907447)
thanx for the info and pix folks.

STANGMATA your Sahara is great, thanks for sharing those pix. Are you the original owner? In one pix I think I see Duratrac tires but in other I think I see MT/R's, which tire did it originally come with? Can you post a close-up pix of interior including the serialized interior badge? Where is the exterior Sahara badge?

very cool Jeep.


I'm the third owner. My tires were stock MT/R's when I bought it, then I went to the Toyo M/Ts, now I'm on Kevlar MT/Rs. My Jeep doesn't have the stock exterior badge, the dealership was likely too lazy to install it.

Interior pics

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/9...e/img_3213.jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/8...e/img_3117.jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/9...e/img_0332.jpg

And some more info on the Rubihara

2005 Rubicon Sahara Edition

MarkGLHS 07-03-2013 02:48 AM

so the dealer had to apply some of the badging? That's like was done with the special TJ Willys Edition (I think that was 2005 or 2006). Can't trust the dealer to do it right, or at all.

The seats in your Rubihara look the same as regular TJ seats in khaki but the literature says they are "premium two tone".....maybe its just the photos but they look the same as other 2005 TJ's.

thanx again for all the good info.

my996duc1 07-05-2013 05:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbusch (Post 3919239)
There were 1000 LJ Rubicon Sahara models made in 2005 only.. my post above shows the badge that came with those models. Post 15 has a picture of a Jeep RS LJ with the badge removed and a 97-02 Sahara sticker replacing (confusing yes). In 2003 the badge for the Sahara changed and is not pictured above (was on 03-06 models and my particular favorite of all time Sahara badge) and that particular badge was only on SWB Sahara models that didn't come with 4.11 gearing, lockers and a 4.1 transfer case. The pictures I posted above are the Rubicon Sahara model stock and came with either soft or hard tops (or both). There were never any Sahara LJ models made except this limited edition (all were packed with the Rubicon goodies). Hope this clarifies.


:popcorn:

This doesn't make sense.... it was my understanding the one in post #15 (MINE) was NOT a limited edition model..... just merely a Rubicon Unlimited with a Sahara package added as an option.

Any idea where I can confirm if mine (post #15) is in fact a Limited Edition Sahara and what production number it is ??

**** EDIT **** - just found this website and will try to call tomorrow to see if mine is a true Sahara movie edition with decals switched/removed OR if it is really just a Rubicon Unlimited with the Sahara package added as an option.
http://www.rubiconsahara.com/owner-registry/

_

_

MarkGLHS 07-05-2013 10:34 AM

^very interesting... please post a follow up once you get your answers.

stangmata 07-05-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my996duc1 (Post 3929121)
This doesn't make sense.... it was my understanding the one in post #15 (MINE) was NOT a limited edition model..... just merely a Rubicon Unlimited with a Sahara package added as an option.

Any idea where I can confirm if mine (post #15) is in fact a Limited Edition Sahara and what production number it is ??

**** EDIT **** - just found this website and will try to call tomorrow to see if mine is a true Sahara movie edition with decals switched/removed OR if it is really just a Rubicon Unlimited with the Sahara package added as an option.
Owner Registry | 2005 Rubicon Sahara Edition

_

_

Mine had no stickers or indications that it was a Rubihara. I called Chrysler and gave them my VIN. They confirmed my number out of 1000 and I purchased the dash sticker (for like $32!)

my996duc1 07-05-2013 10:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The lady I needed to talk to is out until Monday to find out if mine is in fact a limited edition.

Can someone else post a picture of the window sticker to see what a real true limited edition window sticker shows ??

_

Rubicon06Va 07-06-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my996duc1 (Post 3931411)
The lady I needed to talk to is out until Monday to find out if mine is in fact a limited edition.

Can someone else post a picture of the window sticker to see what a real true limited edition window sticker shows ??

_

Tracking this thread, my take is that your Jeep not one of the #1000 special editions (interior number badging is the key and would be noted on sticker). BTW, it's cool that you kept the original window sticker:thumb:.

my996duc1 07-07-2013 12:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicon06Va (Post 3932087)
Tracking this thread, my take is that your Jeep not one of the #1000 special editions (interior number badging is the key and would be noted on sticker). BTW, it's cool that you kept the original window sticker:thumb:.

I figured that mine is NOT one of the limited edition ones .... BUT ... I keep getting told Jeep did not have the Sahara package available in 2005 except for the limited edition models..... SO either I have a limited edition model or alot of people are wrong and Jeep did offer the Sahara package in 2005.

I bought mine used so no telling what has been changed or altered.... just got lucky to still have the window sticker with it.

_

MarkGLHS 07-07-2013 02:28 AM

^the reason I am thinking yours has to be one of the 1,000 limited edition models is several facts: yours is the same color as all the others. yours has both the rubicon and the sahara decals when there was no sahara model in 2005. yours has the exact same special colored moab wheels as the others. yours has the exact same base msrp as the limited edition ones.

i'm no expert but there's just no way yours could be a "regular sahara", not with all the other facts pointing to the limited edition pedigree.

but whatever is the case it's still a very cool TJ.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.