Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Center Console Barrel Lock (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/center-console-barrel-lock-252152.html)

Tyr4nt 06-27-2013 03:52 PM

Center Console Barrel Lock

Hey guys,

After seeing some threads here, I learned that my TJ keys should work for the glove box & console locks.

I've got it pulled out and it's been soaking in WD for a while (which is a huge improvement because now it actually acts like a button instead of just stuck in the chamber). I cannot get it to turn with my ignition key, which is the same key for everything else on the Jeep.

It is possible that my lock doesn't match the rest of the locks on the Jeep, or that something is broke inside.

Here's the question: Can the stealership fix me up with a new lock, or new core that fits my key or ???

Amw2210 06-27-2013 06:37 PM

Mine does the same thing. I push down on the lock and then pull up and it comes right up every time. It doesnt fix the problem really but it always seems locked even though it never really is. Hope yours works out the same

Missoulatj 06-27-2013 09:56 PM

Yes, they can get you a new core, they might even be able to get your current one to work. Not sure if the "locking" feature is worth spending any money on though. With mine locked if you pull up on it the lid it just pops open.

BigCrave 06-27-2013 10:04 PM

A locksmith would be cheaper. They gave me all new tumblers to rekey mine for 2 bucks.

Sccrbrg 06-28-2013 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missoulatj (Post 3906847)
Yes, they can get you a new core, they might even be able to get your current one to work. Not sure if the "locking" feature is worth spending any money on though. With mine locked if you pull up on it the lid it just pops open.

Same, my "locking" glove box opens even when its locked, its just slightly harder to open.

And my center console isnt much better. I would never leave anything in there that I didn't want stolen.

If I were in the same position and taking the time to work on the consoles, I would just replace it with something from tuffy or similar maker that actually works.

As it stands - I use them as trash cans, because thats about all that they are good for.

raif281 01-20-2014 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyr4nt (Post 3905677)
Hey guys, After seeing some threads here, I learned that my TJ keys should work for the glove box & console locks. I've got it pulled out and it's been soaking in WD for a while (which is a huge improvement because now it actually acts like a button instead of just stuck in the chamber). I cannot get it to turn with my ignition key, which is the same key for everything else on the Jeep. It is possible that my lock doesn't match the rest of the locks on the Jeep, or that something is broke inside. Here's the question: Can the stealership fix me up with a new lock, or new core that fits my key or ???

mine just pushes down and doesn't seem to want to turn. anybody found a fix for that yet? hit it to jingle it looks or something like that lol

raif281 01-20-2014 11:14 AM

nvm just took some jiggling and it turned

Water Dog 01-20-2014 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missoulatj (Post 3906847)
With mine locked if you pull up on it the lid it just pops open.

Check and make sure the hinge is tight and not bent. Once I straightened my hinge and secured it with a couple of additional flat head bolts it works like it should.

Liggle 01-20-2014 04:15 PM

I had similar issues with my locks. I took them off, pulled them apart, cleaned and put a little synthetic motor oil on everything. They work fine now. I use a combination of synthetic motor oil and synthetic transmission fluid for anything needing lubrication, on vehicles, bikes, guns, you name it. If it's good enough for an engine, then it's good enough for just about anything.