Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Taking a position with authority (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/taking-a-position-with-authority-252199.html)

1jeeplvr 06-27-2013 07:33 PM

Taking a position with authority

So I am taking a foreman position I was offered at work.I will be in charge of a team of 5-6 guys in a shop.Im a little nervous about it.Does anyone have any suggestions for me.I want the guys to take me seriously.I dont mind asking someone to get something done but I dont want to be a dick either.

hontors 06-27-2013 07:42 PM

Lead by example, show them that you're a hard worker and you take your role seriously. Be respectful and be certain to thank them if they are working hard for you. Recognition and rewarding hard work will keep them working hard. Often times that's piece that so overlooked.

JDsDream 06-27-2013 07:48 PM

Your relationship with your employees must remain strictly business. It is never a good idea to become "buddies" with them.
As stated above, show them respect and they will show you respect.
Praise in public and reprimand in private.
Listen, listen, listen. Keep an open line of communication. You want them to be comfortable coming to you with problems or suggestions.

Flyfisher76 06-27-2013 07:54 PM

Don't ask them to do anything you wouldn't do and in case you didn't catch it, notice i said ask and not tell. Asking goes a long ways.

I would also guess that the guys already take you seriously since management saw you have the leadership qualities to be a foreman. Also don't be afraid to take criticism.

good luck!!

C.L. 06-27-2013 07:56 PM

Show up with donuts...

00tj2 06-27-2013 07:59 PM

Don't pretend you know everything. Show the senior guys, or the guys with more experience their due respect. I'm sure you will do great. Congrats on the new position. And when I say guys, I mean girls too.

ztman 06-27-2013 08:05 PM

Get a paperback called ONE MINUTE MANAGER. Short book, easy read, great tips how to motivate employees and tells you how to get the employees to do what you want them to do

1jeeplvr 06-27-2013 08:12 PM

Great points everyone.And I will get that book ztman.Im going to have a team and one other guy,who is the only guy above me has the other team.I already told the guys I will be fair handing out the work.Im excited but also like I said,nervous.

O_M_Jeep 06-27-2013 08:18 PM

Patient, calm, consistent.

cjeezy 06-27-2013 08:26 PM

Congrats on the job and you got a lot of wise suggestions & input in this thread. One thing I would add is that it's so very important to set clear expectations for your staff on what is expected. If they're not pulling their weight, they must be held accountable or bad behavior will spread. In other words, put out a brush fire before it becomes a wildfire.

Aside from that, just let your people know that you're there for them, and not the other way around.

Senior Chief 06-27-2013 09:37 PM

You're going to think I'm on crack, but watch "Master and Commander" if you want a graduate course on leadership, empathy, and mission. Watch it twice.

1jeeplvr 07-02-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDsDream (Post 3906462)
Your relationship with your employees must remain strictly business. It is never a good idea to become "buddies" with them.
As stated above, show them respect and they will show you respect.
Praise in public and reprimand in private.
Listen, listen, listen. Keep an open line of communication. You want them to be comfortable coming to you with problems or suggestions.

Good advice but Ive known half the guys,(other half is new hires) for years so i have been friends with them for a while now.Not sure if I can all of a sudden not be buddies.

Now Im just waiting to see what my bosses come up with for a new pay plan.Im told Ill be compensated well.I will see I guess.

cjeezy 07-02-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr (Post 3921985)

Good advice but Ive known half the guys,(other half is new hires) for years so i have been friends with them for a while now.Not sure if I can all of a sudden not be buddies.

Now Im just waiting to see what my bosses come up with for a new pay plan.Im told Ill be compensated well.I will see I guess.

You ever hear the saying "it's lonely at the top?" There is actually some harsh truth to that. Unfortunately, you can never be buddies with your direct reports or you will fail. Not trying to sound pessimistic, but it's a fact. I'm not going into all the reasons, but just for starters, you'll lose respect with new hires because they'll think you play favorites...then will come rumors...and it snowballs from there. When you're in a leadership position, your goal changes to making the company a success...regardless of what others people think of you. The important thing is to focus on making the company successful by making your people successful. You want their respect, not their friendship.