Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   New Frame? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/new-frame-252223.html)

TrailHaunter 06-27-2013 10:12 PM

New Frame?
 
So I've noticed a few more spots that might need replacing on my frame so I'm wondering if it would be worth trying to just find a new frame. I'm open to ideas. Thanks!

WICruiser 06-27-2013 10:17 PM

It depends on what you can find in your area. Up north we can't typically find anything that doesn't have the same problem so it is typically better to fix what you have unless you want to go all out and order new.

TrailHaunter 06-28-2013 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WICruiser (Post 3906755)
It depends on what you can find in your area. Up north we can't typically find anything that doesn't have the same problem so it is typically better to fix what you have unless you want to go all out and order new.

I'm in New England so yea I agree with you in not being able to find a frame in good shape.

Would it make my frame worse though if I just keep welding in replacement pieces?

WICruiser 06-28-2013 07:35 PM

Assuming that you are welding in solid pieces and using good welding techniques the frame should be fine. Typical areas where they rust out are well known and a number of places sell replacement sections.

For mine I thought I had looked it over pretty good but once I got the tub off I realized I was wrong. I ended up welding in new pieces on 3 of the 4 corners, a new cross member in front of the fuel tank, and new rear upper shock mounts. I got all of the parts from Quadratec.

TrailHaunter 06-30-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WICruiser (Post 3909359)
Assuming that you are welding in solid pieces and using good welding techniques the frame should be fine. Typical areas where they rust out are well known and a number of places sell replacement sections.

For mine I thought I had looked it over pretty good but once I got the tub off I realized I was wrong. I ended up welding in new pieces on 3 of the 4 corners, a new cross member in front of the fuel tank, and new rear upper shock mounts. I got all of the parts from Quadratec.

I've already done the rail sections that the cross member bolts to but the guy who did the welding said just before my leaf springs in the rear, it was looking like it might get bad soon so I wanted to check before I did anymore work.

WICruiser 06-30-2013 09:21 PM

The rear frame near the back of the leaf spring attachment point is a known rust area and there are a variety of ready made replacement parts that can be welded in place to fix that area.

crtaylor 06-30-2013 09:36 PM

new frame = a can of worms .ask me how I know

Ibuildembig 06-30-2013 10:44 PM

If it were me I'd get a southern frame. It's worth drive!

TrailHaunter 07-03-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crtaylor (Post 3914856)
new frame = a can of worms .ask me how I know

Why is it a bad idea?

1987Wrangler YJ 07-03-2013 12:29 PM

I'd go with the new frame. have it sand blasted, then have it powder coated or painted. and while your doing that you could still be driving, and when your ready you can swap everything over.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 AM.