Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Best SYE with UCF ultra high clearance skid. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/best-sye-with-ucf-ultra-high-clearance-skid-252224.html)

TJspeed 06-27-2013 09:16 PM

Best SYE with UCF ultra high clearance skid.

I'm starting to map out the sye aspect of my lift. I'm doing a 3" lift with a 1.25" body lift and 1"motor lift. I bought the Undercover Fab ultra high skid plate along with with the UCF lo-pro trans mount. I'm looking at two different SYE's and I'm wanting to know what one I should go with. I'm looking at the standard Advanced Adapters sye or the JB Conversion super short SYE. My original plan was to go with the Super Short but I'm worried the new drive shaft will hit the skid plate at full droop.

MarkNog 06-27-2013 09:27 PM

JB Conversions, Inc.

Scroll down on the page, that should explain a lot of it. If you driveshaft hits the skid at full drool you could just grind out a notch where the driveshaft can travel.

freeskier 06-27-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkNog (Post 3906777)
JB Conversions, Inc.

Scroll down on the page, that should explain a lot of it. If you driveshaft hits the skid at full drool you could just grind out a notch where the driveshaft can travel.

If only it was in stock... I've been trying to order one the last couple weeks.

Water Dog 06-27-2013 09:56 PM

I have a JB Mega short SYE over a stock skid and there is a little over 2 3/8" clearance between the lip on the skid and the u-joint yoke. If more clearance was needed on the stock skid, it wouldn't take much trimming to get all you wanted, but not knowing exactly how far back the UCF plate goes, I'm not sure about its clearance. If the stock one was 2-3" shorter where the ds exits, there wouldn't be any clearance issues at all. If you could compare measurements on the new skid to the old one at the back, it may give you the answer.

Patrick H 06-28-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

I'm worried the new drive shaft will hit the skid plate at full droop
If you're worried about that, it would only take a matter of minutes to clearance the skid..;)

TJspeed 06-28-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3908157)
If you're worried about that, it would only take a matter of minutes to clearance the skid..;)

Well the skid plate is already cut out a little for both front and rear drive shafts from UCF. But just worried with the Super Short setting so far back that it's going to cause issues. I know I can grind part of the plate away till it doesn't hit but I was trying to avoid doing that.

Patrick H 06-28-2013 11:51 AM

Grinding a little won't hurt a thing;)
I've got a Tom Woods SYE but not sure it'll be short enough for a flat skid.

All Terrain JK 06-28-2013 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the UCF ultra high skid and JBC SS SYE and there is no way the rear DC DS will hit the skid at full droop. In the rear the skid is only notched for the muffler. I'm also running the lowpro and 4" lift. The front DS is another matter. Check out my build thread for full details.

Attachment 266418

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/marc...-221479-2.html

All Terrain JK 06-28-2013 12:15 PM

I had to use the SS SYE because the rear DC joint would bind at full droop.

TJspeed 06-28-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Terrain TJ (Post 3908454)
I have the UCF ultra high skid and JBC SS SYE and there is no way the rear DC DS will hit the skid at full droop. In the rear the skid is only notched for the muffler. I'm also running the lowpro and 4" lift. The front DS is another matter. Check out my build thread for full details.

Attachment 266418

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/marc...-221479-2.html

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! Glad to see there's plenty of room. Looks like there's even enough room for me to use the lo-pro trans mount as well.

GoldenSahara00 06-28-2013 12:37 PM

Just throwing this out there, not sure how much suspension you are running but with 3 inches of lift and my completely flat skid that tucks a good bit higher than yours (both the skid and the tcase) I am only seeing around 19 degrees at most on my pinion angle and 6 degrees at the tcase, leaving me with 13 degrees at the DC joint which is fine. This is with a RR sye I got for free from a friend. Unless you really want the super short, I don't know if you really need it. By all means get it if you have the resources.

All Terrain JK 06-28-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 3908522)
Just throwing this out there, not sure how much suspension you are running but with 3 inches of lift and my completely flat skid that tucks a good bit higher than yours (both the skid and the tcase) I am only seeing around 19 degrees at most on my pinion angle and 6 degrees at the tcase, leaving me with 13 degrees at the DC joint which is fine. This is with a RR sye I got for free from a friend. Unless you really want the super short, I don't know if you really need it. By all means get it if you have the resources.

That's at ride height. The ultra high is 1" below the frame rails. My tcase is 4, DS 22, PA 21 at ride height. My SL is 1" higher and tcase 1" lower and I'm very close to binding at full droop. Maybe the difference is travel.

All Terrain JK 06-28-2013 01:00 PM

My point is if you can afford the $100 extra better safe than sorry. Plus it gives room to grow instead of limiting you. Such as outboarding the shocks for more travel.

Water Dog 06-28-2013 01:18 PM

If you opt for the mega short sye, make sure you let us know how it all works out. I've been thinking about the UCF skid myself.

All Terrain JK 06-28-2013 01:33 PM

One other thing to keep in mind, with a SS SYE it uses a tone ring and pickup to signal the speedometer. You have to buy a signal processor to recalibrate. Mine reads fast by about 8%. Pretty soon I will get a Dakota Digital processor, $80 or so.

GoldenSahara00 06-28-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Terrain TJ (Post 3908566)
That's at ride height. The ultra high is 1" below the frame rails. My tcase is 4, DS 22, PA 21 at ride height. My SL is 1" higher and tcase 1" lower and I'm very close to binding at full droop. Maybe the difference is travel.

I agree with you and would have gone with the SS if I was buying it myself. I was just saying not everyone needs it. My skid is full flat, maybe my tcase is tucked lower than yours somehow. I am still setting up but I am set up around 18 PA 19 DS tcase 6.5. So around 12-13 operating. Max is something like 28 on a 1310 CV, but suggested is around 6 per U joint (non cv shaft). a cv shaft splits the angle at the cv and should have near 0 at the pinion. So I am just about perfect at my cv at right height. I am not sure about full droop but I do not often see full droop offroad in my experience unless my belly is sliding over something.

Still finishing up the build and swapping in my axle, but hoping things go smoothly at full droop for me. I don't foresee any issues. My DS only lengthens 1/4 inch at full droop from ride height so I imagine the angle change is small. You do make a great point about outboarding shocks but I see a good bit of people outboarding for uptravel in the rear as droop is already pretty substantial in most TJ setups. However buggies and some trail rigs that do run more droop than uptravel would run into that issue and is a great reason to run a SS sye.

All Terrain JK 06-28-2013 03:33 PM

I wasn't disagreeing with you just giving my experiences :thumb:
I know you've been talking about this build for a couple months, looking forward to the pics. :)

GoldenSahara00 06-28-2013 03:35 PM

I know man :thumb: It's always good to have more info and from many people out there. I have a good bit up in my thread now. The 8.8 stuff is all tacked and in place and the cross member is built, skid is built and test fitted etc. It's all final welding and install and paint etc now.... Getting my DS made up next week. tucking the gas tank skid w/ the rokmen skid as well. Should be wicked. Rausch for a weekend in July the 19-21 to test it all out and hopefully make it home :rofl: I'm working like crazy trying to get it all done. It's a ton of work.

All Terrain JK 06-28-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 3908982)
I'm working like crazy trying to get it all done. It's a ton of work.

Yeah I know what you mean. Post a link to your build thread, I'd like to read.

GoldenSahara00 06-28-2013 04:59 PM

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html

SteelBlue44 06-28-2013 05:19 PM

I have UCF ultra high TT skid and Advanced Adapters SYE with Tom Woods CV shaft. Perfect fit with 2.5" lift and 1" BL. Rear driveshaft comes nowhere near the skid, although the front shaft is less than an inch from the skid.