Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Order gone bad... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/order-gone-bad-252263.html)

Gaffney 06-28-2013 02:57 AM

Order gone bad...

So I placed a factory order for a JK sport about 9.5 weeks ago. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had a problem with a factory order to the point they were told its just not being built at all due to the color. I ordered True Blue for my color and 9.5 weeks later I'm now told that the jeep just isn't going to be built at all because the factory ran out of paint and the only option I have is to cancel the order. Has anyone else ever had or even seen this problem before?

Martin10 06-28-2013 05:10 AM

Then why did they accept the order in the first place? And take this long to let you know?

highwayman 06-28-2013 05:15 AM

Out of that particular color, ummm doubtful. Equipment setup for more popular colors being blasted and Chryslers not willing to prep the equip for a light demand color, probably the real answer. Doesn't matter either way at this point as they pretty much laid it out. Either be upset and pass on the wrangler or get a 2nd choice as color and be happy with it.

Vin 06-28-2013 07:24 AM

IIRC it happened with the desert tan, but that was because the paint was from Japan and when the earthquake hit and devastated the country, they couldn't get the color anymore.

Gaffney 06-28-2013 07:42 AM

Sadly the dealer told me that the only option I had was to cancel the order and couldn't just switch the color.

igivup 06-28-2013 07:50 AM

Tell 'me to slap some clear coat on it and send it out "Raw", that you were planning to cover it in mud anyways!,

NFRs2000NYC 06-28-2013 07:53 AM

It sucks, but unfortunately you don't have many options. You can either tell Chrysler to get bent and walk, or you can get the vehicle you really want, and order a new rig. I personally would raise one hell of a stink to make sure I get something for my wait and troubles.

landi jeep 06-28-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igivup (Post 3907748)
Tell 'me to slap some clear coat on it and send it out "Raw", that you were planning to cover it in mud anyways!,

voted new color option for 2014 jk :thumb:

situation sucks, but as others have said, order another one

legitposter 06-28-2013 09:40 AM

I've got some great news OP.. There are many other colors to choose from! woohoo!!! :thumb:

NFRs2000NYC 06-28-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landi jeep (Post 3907921)
voted new color option for 2014 jk :thumb:

situation sucks, but as others have said, order another one

Would be cool if the tub was aluminum. Steel, not a good idea unless they come out with a stainless tub. :D

WorkingMan 06-28-2013 10:15 AM

Did you ever get a VON# or VIN# from the dealer to check on you order? Upside is you can order a 2014 in one of the new colours and wait another 8+ weeks. I got same pricing on 2014 as for 2013.

Goldcomet 06-28-2013 11:34 AM

You could have the dealer try to find you one. They can check other dealer inventory (so can you) and see if there's anything close to it around. My daughter wanted a JKU in deep crystal red with a 6 speed and went to several dealers and no one had one. I went to build and price on Jeeps website and they had an option to search inventory. We found exactly what she wanted at a dealer 20 miles away and they were willing to deal so we were able to get her what she wanted without having to go too far.

OffRoadCam09 06-28-2013 11:43 AM

I would have the dealer look for one or order a new one. I have true blue an it is a pretty rare color. It doesn't seem like it because many tj's have a similar blue to them but for jk's I have only seen 3-4 in an around my area within an hour drive. You have plenty of nice looking choices coming out for the 14's except for a blue in color. Sorry to hear about the ordering process though, possibly try another dealer or see if they can find one an have it sent to them for you if your set on true blue

highwayman 06-28-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaffney (Post 3907728)
Sadly the dealer told me that the only option I had was to cancel the order and couldn't just switch the color.

Wow, that's weird. I misunderstood ya and thought they said cancel if you only wanted that color. You'd think they at at least help you locate a similiar built JK in your area. Good luck.

Gaffney 06-28-2013 08:24 PM

I ended up just getting my deposit back and after searching for a while I found a JK that I liked about 100 miles away. So called the dealer and heading out tomorrow morning to take a look at it! I know one thing not to many jeeps left on the lots around my area!

GeckoJK 06-28-2013 10:54 PM

Well sounds like you will have to reorder a different color or settle for an FJ Cruiser instead. :surrender: Hope you find the right JK.

JeepCourtney3700 06-28-2013 11:27 PM

Excuse my insensitivity but this hardly counts as an order "gone bad". The factory ran out of that paint color, and as true blue was a limited color, this was bound to happen. It happened and it happens.

And it sounds like the factory and the dealership did the right thing letting you know that your jeep wasn't going to be built and refunded your deposit. What more do you want?

Besides, it sounds like you've already found a solution that seems acceptable to you. Have fun in your new Jeep!

lari 06-29-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepCourtney3700 (Post 3910208)
The factory ran out of that paint color, and as true blue was a limited color, this was bound to happen. It happened and it happens.

As a factory, shouldn't they have a system in place to tell them how much paint needed for how many vehicles? they can indicate easily the number of orders to be accepted and when they have to tell dealers, form the start, not to put the order in! It's not rocket science! Even cheese factories, nowadays, have systems like this to calibrate their production!!
It just sounds a bit non-professional from the factory and from the dealer... :whistling:

anyway ... enjoy the new Jeep

JeepCourtney3700 06-30-2013 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lari (Post 3911742)
As a factory, shouldn't they have a system in place to tell them how much paint needed for how many vehicles? they can indicate easily the number of orders to be accepted and when they have to tell dealers, form the start, not to put the order in! It's not rocket science! Even cheese factories, nowadays, have systems like this to calibrate their production!!
It just sounds a bit unprofessional from the factory and from the dealer...

I don't know how Jeep corporate runs their business or the plant but I do know that it's really not my place to tell the factory, the workers, the management or even the dealership how to do their job.

I doubt this is an issue of professionalism more than it is of basic supply and demand. The fact remains that limited colors have limited product production runs. The paint was limited to begin with and it jeep made it known. Not so much because Jeep wanted to gouge customers, but because there was only a certain amount allocated for production.

Ordering right before or near closing time always runs the risk of the color becoming unavailable. It's unfortunate but it happens. Best thing would be to not dwell on it but move on.

coelement777 06-30-2013 02:04 AM

Where are you located? Most of the dealers around here in denver are offering deals on the rest of the 13 JK's and JKU's to get ready for the 14's, and there are still plenty on the lots. There is also a dealer in north carolina selling new JK sport 6 speeds with air for 23k, though i cant vouch for them personally. If demand is that high in your area it may be worth the trip or the shipping cost to buy one in another part of the country

Sasquatchewan 06-30-2013 03:28 AM

Unexceptable he waited 9.5 weeks only to be told forgetaboutit ! It's not going to happen & didn't even try & look for him something already bilt the stealer could have had the decentcy to help him out !! But no they don't give a crap & neither does the factory !

Kirkm 06-30-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaffney (Post 3909631)
I ended up just getting my deposit back and after searching for a while I found a JK that I liked about 100 miles away. So called the dealer and heading out tomorrow morning to take a look at it! I know one thing not to many jeeps left on the lots around my area!

It's questionable whether the dealer ever placed the order for whatever reason if you didn't get a VON. Not all colors are available at any point during the ordering year and your dealer should immediately know what is available and what is not. True Blue ended earlier in the year. I wanted it or Deep Cherry Red for order in March and both were no longer available and was told as such.
Being that its past the end of the order year, it's no surprise they couldn't change the order.

Lusus_Naturae 06-30-2013 09:45 AM

^ This. I wonder if the dealer messed up the order to begin with and is now blaming the factory for not having the paint, then they don't want to take a hit on a loss (depending on your price negotiations) and are just saying forget it. You should have had a VON and been able to check in online on the progress. 9 1/2 weeks and it should have been further along.

It may not help, but there are a few blue ones on the lots of course - 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport For Sale | Queens Village NY .

DC Dennis 06-30-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepCourtney3700 (Post 3912970)
I don't know how Jeep corporate runs their business or the plant but I do know that it's really not my place to tell the factory, the workers, the management or even the dealership how to do their job.

I doubt this is an issue of professionalism more than it is of basic supply and demand. The fact remains that limited colors have limited product production runs. The paint was limited to begin with and it jeep made it known. Not so much because Jeep wanted to gouge customers, but because there was only a certain amount allocated for production.

Ordering right before or near closing time always runs the risk of the color becoming unavailable. It's unfortunate but it happens. Best thing would be to not dwell on it but move on.

Sorry, but as their customers it is totally our place to tell them when they are running there business well or leading us to go in another direction for our next vehicle purchase. We are spending over half the average American worker's salery on these things, which are not limited edition vehcles. There is no excuse for letting an order sit more than two days without communicating to the buyer that it can not be fulfilled, let alone two months. If they offer these colors, they need to fulfill the orders.

I love my two day old JKU, but the ordering experiance had a lot to be desired.

theKrow 06-30-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepCourtney3700 (Post 3910208)
Excuse my insensitivity...

I would add "doucheyness" to the "insensitivity" and then I think you nailed it.

Barrie 06-30-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theKrow (Post 3913912)
I would add "doucheyness" to the "insensitivity" and then I think you nailed it.

Now this is a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black.

theKrow 06-30-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie (Post 3913947)
Now this is a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black.

I guess we should just allow the original and plead ignorance. enlighten me

Cdwright 06-30-2013 03:13 PM

Would have been nice if they let you know before waiting 9.5 weeks.

pat@fieldsauto.com 06-30-2013 04:42 PM

The dealer knew an did not communicate it to the OP. There were many different emails and updates letting dealers know that some of the orders would be canceled if the color was not changed. The dealer did the OP a huge disservice by not communicating that and giving the OP a chance to switch colors. The factory/corporate did their job and told the dealers what was going on.

JeepCourtney3700 07-01-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC Dennis (Post 3913730)
I love my two day old JKU, but the ordering experiance had a lot to be desired.

For the most part, you're right. it does sound like you had a bad experience. One of the things that we have to remember when disgruntled customers cry fowl is that there are always two sides to the story.

It's so easy to hate on dealerships and even those in the factory and sympathize with disgruntled customers but the simple fact is that we are only getting one side of the story and that side is the disgruntled customer side. For all we know, the dealership made numerous attempts to communicate and get in touch with the customer but he was unresponsive.

This happens more often and frequently than you may think. An order not built doesn't constitute as an order gone wrong, at least not in my book.

An order gone wrong would be one in which the customer's jeep was built as the wrong model, with the wrong paint and options completely different than the one he or she was expecting. But to simply have the vehicle not built would be better off suited as an order cancelled by the plant (assuming the op is telling the truth).