Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Yep, i did it. AEV drop brackets (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/yep-i-did-it-aev-drop-brackets-252268.html)

kjeeper10 06-28-2013 05:38 AM

Yep, i did it. AEV drop brackets
 
1 Attachment(s)
I don't get of road as much as I would like anyways :rolleyes:

My review WOW !!!

handling is really THAT much better. JK was no pleasure to drive before these cheap gems were installed.

So,..... Lifted/drives like crap .... AEV's control arm drop brackets :thumb:

Vin 06-28-2013 07:22 AM

I was thinking about these also, glad to see a good review.

Remmy18 06-28-2013 07:24 AM

How much lift are you running in the front?

Matador 06-28-2013 07:24 AM

I'm glad to see that your problem is finally solved brother :thumb:

Did you have to go back to stock control arms?

ESP 06-28-2013 07:35 AM

Ken, how much did these affect other things like DS angle, caster, pinion...all that good stuff? Any negatives known yet? Really glad to hear that everything is handling better, it's been a battle for ya.

kjeeper10 06-28-2013 07:53 AM

Thanks guys, I am around 3.5" over all. Measuring the coil per AEV's instructions have me using the middle hole. (2.5-3.5-4.5)

Before pinion was up 1.5-2* which would have my caster at 4-4.5"
With the brackets my pinion is up 2*
Nothing really changed a far as caster.

These really focus the road up into the coil/shock rather than the into the frame. That's where I feel the most change.

No... You don't have to use the stock CA's. I've seen folks cheat angles with the brackets and CA's.

kjeeper10 06-28-2013 07:59 AM

I have 2 issues.

1) passenger upper sleeve that fits in between the stock CA Location is loose. I don't know why. We upped the torque to 85 but its still loose. Should be clamped tight In between the mounts.

2) driver lower frame side Synergy bolt is stripped. Lost torque and keeps spinning. I believe the nut is bad. I posted in the synergy thread and was recommended a nut splitter,
I can only see improvement torqued to spec :eek:

tabber02 06-28-2013 08:02 AM

upper or lower arm? i thought the lower arms were torqued to 120 ft-lbs...

J33P4M3 06-28-2013 08:08 AM

is this the same thing as the AEV geometry correction brackets?

brighton 06-28-2013 08:41 AM

How much clearance do you lose with these brackets?

kjeeper10 06-28-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabber02 (Post 3907768)
upper or lower arm? i thought the lower arms were torqued to 120 ft-lbs...

Front uppers are 75
Lowers 125

Yes... These are the geo brackets

Not much clearance. The diff still hangs lower.

County98 06-28-2013 09:08 AM

Glad you're getting it worked out bud. I'm really glad I went with the Geo brackets as well.

kjeeper10 06-28-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by County98 (Post 3907918)
Glad you're getting it worked out bud. I'm really glad I went with the Geo brackets as well.

:thumb:

HK_Runner 06-28-2013 10:37 AM

That's great!

OffRoadCam09 06-28-2013 10:52 AM

Glad to hear you finally gettin some of the issues solved. Ofcourse when you solve one another arises lol hopefully you can get the stripped bolt off an a new one in

dawhitesJKU 06-28-2013 11:57 AM

what problems were you having prior to the drop brackets?

CrazyT 06-28-2013 12:08 PM

Yes, can you summarize your issues? You post too much and would have trouble going through all your posts to find out.

I've been thinking of doing this as well. I have a RC Max travel and I'm a little skeptical over the long term durability of the heim joints. I also don't get off the road as much as I want, and it's nothing too extreme anyway.

kjeeper10 06-28-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawhitesJKU (Post 3908400)
what problems were you having prior to the drop brackets?

Good question.

The ride was very unforgiving. I really don't want to say harsh or stiff, not the case at all.
Roads around here are horrible. Although the steering wheel felt tight -the tires really followed the road and it would jerk me left to right in the seat. Became very fatiguing driving even short distances. The tires would actually fight the road. Steering stabilizer did nothing for this at all.
The shorter wheelbase lifted doesn't help.

One thing I tried was removing the front sway bar links. This helped but felt like I was driving on flat tires. Not safe higher speeds.

Totally worth the investment IMO. I heard a rumor Rancho is about go release their version of the drop bracket. Cant wait to see what they came up with.

Ken

dawhitesJKU 06-28-2013 12:23 PM

thanks kjeeper. my RE 2.5 lift, jks discos, and exhaust spacers are arriving shortly...i'll invest in the aev drop brackets so i'll just do it one time. Thanks for the feedback.

kjeeper10 06-28-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawhitesJKU (Post 3908485)
thanks kjeeper. my RE 2.5 lift, jks discos, and exhaust spacers are arriving shortly...i'll invest in the aev drop brackets so i'll just do it one time. Thanks for the feedback.

:thumb:

Sucker Punch 06-28-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3908517)
:thumb:

I know this is a little off topic, but how do you like the Hankook MT's? They seem reasonably priced. I am in the process of looking for a good Mud tire - 315-75-16. Are those Hankook MT's rated "E" load range? That is the only negative I can think of. Otherwise they look like an awesome mud tire and at $261 a tire vs. $340 to $360 a tire for the MTR or KM2's that is a great deal.

I'm also looking at getting the 3.5" lift and currently considering the AEV 3.5 SC lift. I guess I need to check, but surely that AEV kit includes the geometry brackets for that kit....

Your Jeep looks sweet in your profile. :thumb: Could you post a couple pics of it? I would love to see your rig.
Thanks!

rcosika 06-28-2013 01:33 PM

Another affirmation!!
 
ALL:

I would like to echo the comments on the improvement with this kit: WOW! :thumb:

I just added this kit as part of my DW resolution. The improvement in driveability is definitely noticeable.

My lift kit was a basic OME 2.5, which really gave me about 3.5 (even with heavy steel bumpers front and rear). After the lifting my Jeep, the handling definitely suffered. The AEV kit definitely helped with that!

As for clearance, well, all I can say is that the AEV brackets are at least a tough as the factory brackets (they'll survive rocks, etc); it doesn't concern me at all that they are a bit lower. Heck, based on how bashed up my undercarriage is already, those brackets are the least of my worries...LOL!!! :)

One thing about installation...on an '10 JK, the factory UCA bolt on the passenger's side is a mother to remove! Where the instructions say that you "may have to pry the exhaust out of the way," they do mean PRY. That was by far the hardest part! :eek: Getting the driver's side UCA nut back on with the new bracket in place wasn't too much fun, either. ;)

If anyone has any questions, please let me know!

Regards,

Bob~ :thumb:

kjeeper10 06-28-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcosika (Post 3908673)
ALL:

I would like to echo the comments on the improvement with this kit: WOW! :thumb:

I just added this kit as part of my DW resolution. The improvement in driveability is definitely noticeable.

My lift kit was a basic OME 2.5, which really gave me about 3.5 (even with heavy steel bumpers front and rear). After the lifting my Jeep, the handling definitely suffered. The AEV kit definitely helped with that!

As for clearance, well, all I can say is that the AEV brackets are at least a tough as the factory brackets (they'll survive rocks, etc); it doesn't concern me at all that they are a bit lower. Heck, based on how bashed up my undercarriage is already, those brackets are the least of my worries...LOL!!! :)

One thing about installation...on an '10 JK, the factory UCA bolt on the passenger's side is a mother to remove! Where the instructions say that you "may have to pry the exhaust out of the way," they do mean PRY. That was by far the hardest part! :eek: Getting the driver's side UCA nut back on with the new bracket in place wasn't too much fun, either. ;)

If anyone has any questions, please let me know!

Regards,

Bob~ :thumb:



Yea..... That bolt was a nightmare. Friend was supposed to get ahold of a sawzall. Well that did not happen. 1 hr with a hand saw :eek:

So far I'm liking the tires. Yea they are E rated but handle better then my Km2's (35x15xC rated)
What I like most so far is how they handle on wet pavement. The km2 would pull me off the road through some of the bigger puddles.

kjeeper10 06-29-2013 05:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another day driving around. These brackets are simply amazing. It's nice to be able to relax and steer with 1 hand again. Going to be hard to give them up come time.

Bought a nut splitter recommended by a member here to remove the one bolt. Too small :facepalm: Amazon- 1 day on a set that should work on a 22 mm nut .... I hope :D

BlueJK2013 06-29-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10

Good question.

The ride was very unforgiving. I really don't want to say harsh or stiff, not the case at all.
Roads around here are horrible. Although the steering wheel felt tight -the tires really followed the road and it would jerk me left to right in the seat. Became very fatiguing driving even short distances.
Sometimes a quick left to right felt like a wobble. The tires would actually fight the road. Steering stabilizer did nothing for this at all.
The shorter wheelbase lifted doesn't help.

One thing I tried was removing the front sway bar links. This helped but felt like I was driving on flat tires. Not safe higher speeds.

Totally worth the investment IMO. I heard a rumor Rancho is about go release their version of the drop bracket. Cant wait to see what they came up with.

Ken

Just bought a set. Thanks for the reassurance

HK_Runner 06-29-2013 05:41 PM

So Rancho is basically coming out with the same thing? My Jeep actually drives pretty well now, though I have continued to make changes to achieve that. This is good to know, in case I have to go down this road to avoid any caster issues. My JK does pull to the right to I have had to compensate by lengthening the front lower CA by a bit. Still pulls...just not as much. Hopefully, this will be solved by my last round of changes.

kjeeper10 06-29-2013 05:45 PM

We don't know yet. AEV and the RC brackets are pretty much the same. Going to assume Rancho is trying something different.

Longarm7 06-29-2013 09:51 PM

Just put the brackets on last week. Got on the highway today and WOW. Major improvement in ride quality. Running a 4" lift on 35"s.

kjeeper10 06-30-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longarm7 (Post 3912605)
Just put the brackets on last week. Got on the highway today and WOW. Major improvement in ride quality. Running a 4" lift on 35"s.

:thumb:

MarkinOhio 06-30-2013 11:22 AM

I have to measure to make sure they will work, but if they will I'm calling to see if Qtec has them in stock tomorrow.

Thanks for another positive review. :thumb:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.