Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Trailering two bikes (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/trailering-two-bikes-252400.html)

gregsjeep13 06-28-2013 07:25 PM

Trailering two bikes
 
I sold my truck and am looking at getting a trailer. It will mostly be used as a landscape trailer around the house but there will be some times I will want to trailer mine and my wife's motorcycles on a trip. I am looking at a 77" X 120" trailer and was wondering if my jeep would handle the load going a long distance with the bikes. Bikes are about 1,400lbs combined. I have a 97 Sport. It is lifted (not sure how much, bought it like that) with 33" tires and 110,000 miles on it. Jeep runs great. Jeeps are fairly light so I am concerned about the load. Thanks for the help.

Will335i 06-28-2013 09:17 PM

You should't have an issue just load the trailer properly and take it easy.

I have towed a 6' X 10' enclosed trailer 600mi and a 6' x 12' flatbed trailer 600mi with my 03 that is lifted 4in with 33in tires. I also have the 5 speed manual don't know that I would have done it with the auto.

gregsjeep13 06-30-2013 08:55 AM

I've towed a popup camper so I guess it would not be much worse than that.

jeepwayoflife 06-30-2013 09:02 AM

2,000lb is the max towing weight for a tj because of the short wheelbase. Are you regeared for the larger tires? Proper gearing will help a ton for pulling things.

Steeljag 06-30-2013 09:26 AM

Gearing is definitely the difference. Both bikes and weight of the trailer will have you close.

Enclosed trailer?

Victor Ward 07-02-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will335i (Post 3909820)
You should't have an issue just load the trailer properly and take it easy.

I have towed a 6' X 10' enclosed trailer 600mi and a 6' x 12' flatbed trailer 600mi with my 03 that is lifted 4in with 33in tires. I also have the 5 speed manual don't know that I would have done it with the auto.

I have recently begun racing motorcycles and am looking for an enclosed. I was thinking 6x10. I would be pulling it with my 2000 TJ about 250 miles round trip. Jeep has no lift with 31"s.
I think I would be right around that 2000lb mark but the trailer would also be about a foot taller than the Jeep but would have a V-nose. Single axle, no brakes.

Would you feel safe with that set up?

Water Dog 07-02-2013 02:01 PM

Personally, I wouldn't pull anything more than about 1000-1200 pounds behind my Jeep without brakes, especially at freeway speeds and over long distance. Jeeps wheelbases are just too short, and in a panic stop with that much weight pushing on the back, it's asking for a wreck. Trailer brake laws change state to state, in ours it's 1500 pounds. Check your owners manual, and see what it says. JM2

Sinister6 07-02-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Ward (Post 3920717)

I have recently begun racing motorcycles and am looking for an enclosed. I was thinking 6x10. I would be pulling it with my 2000 TJ about 250 miles round trip. Jeep has no lift with 31"s.
I think I would be right around that 2000lb mark but the trailer would also be about a foot taller than the Jeep but would have a V-nose. Single axle, no brakes.

Would you feel safe with that set up?

Rent a similar size trailer from u haul, load it up and see how the jeep handles it. Remember the larger trailers do have brakes though. Cheaper than buying one only to regret it.

Victor Ward 07-02-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinister6 (Post 3920963)
Rent a similar size trailer from u haul, load it up and see how the jeep handles it. Remember the larger trailers do have brakes though. Cheaper than buying one only to regret it.

I was thinking about doing that.
Dumping a couple thousand into something and finding out its not going to work would be pretty dumb.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 PM.