Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Clutch or transmission problem! Help!! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/clutch-or-transmission-problem-help-252458.html)

Toren 06-29-2013 12:32 AM

Clutch or transmission problem! Help!!

Hey I have 03 tj, and I have been having a light grinding sound when I sit in neutral, but once I push the clutch in it goes away, thought it would be my trow out bearing or input shaft bearing, so I replaced my whole clutch, flywheel, and did my oil pan gasket and main rear seal while i was under there. put it back together and that sound is still there! Could it be a transmission bearing or something?

R u s s 07-21-2013 04:06 AM

Hate to tell you but that is the transmission bearings. The throw out bearing would be opposite of you issue. (Grind when clutch is pressed in) I would drain the oil see how much metal is in it. If it not to bad just refill with oil and add some lucus to it. If the noise isn't to bad I would continue to drive it till you find a good replacement or rebuild it.

SurfKaster 07-21-2013 08:24 AM

Is it a grinding sound or does it sound like rolling pin? The nv3550 is notoriously loud. Mine makes all kinds of racket when the clutch isn't pressed in.

Toren 07-22-2013 12:15 AM

Well I replaced my whole clutch and flywheel, and the sound is still there. It's not like a way loud grinding sound, I've been told its just the gears in my transmission moving when it's in idle position. And I've been told that model is just loud with that transmission. Everything shifts smooth, it's just that sound when I idle in neutral. I'm hoping it's not a transmission bearing, cause I don't know how to fix that. I'm wondering if it is my bearing, would it have been caused by me having a 3" lift with the 33"s and not gearing down yet? Like I'm pushing too much on my engine? I kinda thought about that. And when I do gear down, I don't know if should do 4.88 or 3.66 gears? I don't want to screw up my engine. Btw I'm new to this jeeping stuff, so I need some help. Thanks!

R u s s 07-22-2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder Monkey (Post 3986383)
Is it a grinding sound or does it sound like rolling pin? The nv3550 is notoriously loud. Mine makes all kinds of racket when the clutch isn't pressed in.

I would agree. If it gets real bad you will know it and it will start jumping out of gear. Just check the fluid and it will tell you whats going on in there. If its not silver looking then you will be good for many a moon.

MudJam 09-26-2013 09:17 AM

So I also have that noise. What bearings in the trans do I need to replace ? I plan on changing my clutch and want to change them while it's out.

Digger84 09-26-2013 10:34 AM

Input shaft/bearing likley but 2 questions

1) did you inspect or replace the pilot bushing/bearing in the ass end of the crank shaft?

2) when you were installing the tranny did you slide/wiggle it all the way home so bell flange all the way against rear engine flange or did you use bolts to pull it home?

The bolt pull method can be bad although some get away with it but those components were not designed for axial load

Bolts without heads (with slots where heads were removed for removal easy with screw driver) used as guide pins when sliding/wiggiling tranny home is ok but risky to drive it home by tightening bell bolts

Digger84 09-26-2013 10:48 AM

JP mag had some good photos of inside of that tranny on a 2 part story called five-speed overhaul late-model manual rebuild you might google and look at pilot bushing and input shaft tip photos

MudJam 09-26-2013 10:49 AM

Haven't taken trans out yet. But wanted to know which trans bearings to replace .

MudJam 09-26-2013 12:16 PM

Thanks Digger84

Water Dog 09-26-2013 03:09 PM

It shouldn't be the pilot bearing because with the clutch disengaged, it's not turning. I would suspect the transmission input shaft bearing as others have said.

Digger84 09-26-2013 04:52 PM

True but it keeps the input shaft concentric with the crank rotation as the clutch disc can slide around

So a damaged pilot bearing can cause a damaged input shaft bearing so agree on what makes noise now but not necessarily not related to the pilot bearing

Water Dog 09-26-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digger84 (Post 4884329)
True but it keeps the input shaft concentric with the crank rotation as the clutch disc can slide around

So a damaged pilot bearing can cause a damaged input shaft bearing so agree on what makes noise now but not necessarily not related to the pilot bearing

Agree, FWIW, I had a damaged pilot bearing that I believe was installed improperly at the factory. I started having vibes at 60+ mph right after a regear job. I went through it all, U-joints, pinion angle, put in new sye and dc shaft, had the dif shop pull both difs apart and check the wear patterns, bearings etc. Finally, it was time to do a clutch job. Upon pulling it apart, I found that the pilot bearing outer case had been ripped where it curls over the outer edge of the needle bearings. Replaced it along with the clutch and cured all the vibes. I'm not 100%, but I believe I was the first one to open it up since it was new. The reason it just showed up after the regear was that the engine rpm's were higher at freeway speeds.