Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Another tire question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/another-tire-question-252584.html)

OkieOutlaw 06-29-2013 07:11 PM

Another tire question
 
Brand new Jeep owner (about a week now). I am planning on changing out the tires as soon as finances allow as well as my wifes annual free tires as a Michelin Employee. As you can see she is a bone stock 2006 Wrangler X( Whatever that stands for) I am going for BFG all terrains and don't want something that rubs or binds in our southern Okla river bottoms. Would 32's fit or should I go for 31's. On MT 15" rims.http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/936/rm9j.jpg This Jeep is my retirement hunting/fishing vehicle with some on highway travel as well. She has the straight six motor with auto trans so I know gear ratios come into play as well. Any tips to a newbie

wwch99tj 06-29-2013 09:06 PM

Those look like after market wheels with less backspacing than stock ... you will have no problems with 31's, 32's might be pushing it without a lift and regear.

OkieOutlaw 07-02-2013 07:00 PM

Thanks for the reply. Was hoping or more than one opinion though. What does the X stand for? Is it a special designation ? Like I first said I am a total newbie to the Jeep world.

GoldenSahara00 07-02-2013 07:10 PM

Go with 31s, 32s may rub the flares offroad a little, particularly with the sway bar disconnected. The X is just a trim, nothing really noteable off the top of my head.

Big Cole 07-02-2013 07:12 PM

You are restricted to running 31s with the stock suspension. X model is the lowest optioned 6 cylinder. You have a Dana 35 rear. I have no clue what X means, its just a model designation.

apannone 07-02-2013 07:19 PM

X is just one of the models, however it does help answer some of your other questions. Since it just seems like a standard X model, and not a special edition, chances are you have a d35 rear axle and 3.07 gears. As someone said earlier, 32s might be a bit much for this set up, so unless you plan on regearing or swapping out the rear axle, go for 31s. I have an X with 31s. It drives nice, but the bigger tires definitely make it bog uphill. It also doesn't like 5th gear(mines a 5spd) on the highway unless I'm going 75+, which I rarely do. Also, I do get a slight rub at full turn with my 31s. Enjoy the new Jeep and have fun!

Atthehop 07-02-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apannone (Post 3921761)
X is just one of the models, however it does help answer some of your other questions. Since it just seems like a standard X model, and not a special edition, chances are you have a d35 rear axle and 3.07 gears. As someone said earlier, 32s might be a bit much for this set up, so unless you plan on regearing or swapping out the rear axle, go for 31s. I have an X with 31s. It drives nice, but the bigger tires definitely make it bog uphill. It also doesn't like 5th gear(mines a 5spd) on the highway unless I'm going 75+, which I rarely do. Also, I do get a slight rub at full turn with my 31s. Enjoy the new Jeep and have fun!

A washer or two on each wheel stop will make that slight rub on full turns disappear.

OkieOutlaw 07-03-2013 10:03 AM

I also noticed that the BFG AT's come in both 31x9.50 x15 as well as in 10.50. What are you guys running for width? The Jeep currently has BFG Long Trail tires sized P225x75r 15, and they seem to stick out beyond the flares pretty good at only about 8" wide. Would 10.50's be too much?

povchrisw 07-03-2013 10:38 AM

i run 10.5, on stock wheels, no problems with them sticking out too far, id say 3/4 sticking out.. no prob driving threw snow with the extra inch, that metric size is 9.8" wide by 28.3"

98TJ Wrangler- 07-03-2013 10:42 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by OkieOutlaw (Post 3923775)
I also noticed that the BFG AT's come in both 31x9.50 x15 as well as in 10.50. What are you guys running for width? The Jeep currently has BFG Long Trail tires sized P225x75r 15, and they seem to stick out beyond the flares pretty good at only about 8" wide. Would 10.50's be too much?

How far your tires stick out depends on how much backspacing your wheels have also but I would go for 10.50 if you like to go offroad more traction. My wheels have 4" of backspacing with 31x10.50 and they stick out maybe an inch or inch and a half

PiePuncher 07-03-2013 12:24 PM

32's will not fit properly without a lift. You also have to worry about the driver side rear spring perch if running 32x11.5. Your best bet would be 31x10.5, they will look aggressive, allow you to keep top speed and won't affect your mileage much. You will need to add one washer to the steering stops. Good luck and post a pic after you install

Owen_TJ 07-03-2013 12:53 PM

Go with 31's...

as the others have stated, the 32's will rub...

OkieOutlaw 07-07-2013 03:20 PM

Thanks
 
Thanks guys, This is just the type of info I was looking for. My wife should be getting her notification on the FREE tires award in a coupla months and will post some pics soon after. I am currently running a P225 75r 15 BFG Long Trails which are nearly new and not bad on hwy and what trails we have been checking out lately, but I can't wait to get the new BFG All Terrains on her.

Water Dog 07-07-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by povchrisw (Post 3923855)
that metric size is 9.8" wide by 28.3"

Probably a typo...8.8 x 28.3

DuruConsigliere 07-07-2013 03:57 PM

Oh a side note: BFG AT's aren't exactly well known for mud. Which is what I'm assuming you're going to run into on river bottoms. This is of course debatable.

98TJ Wrangler- 07-07-2013 07:00 PM

I had a chance to "test" my duratracs out in my friends mud pit, he has BFGs and he sometimes had to put it in 4wheel in spots and I never went in 4wheel. I love my tires.

cbush1885 07-07-2013 08:11 PM

mud is the all terrains kryptonite, I had 31 10.5 15's when i first got my jeep and the rear did rub a little bit font was okay, my wheels were aftermarket and had more backspacing than stock but i only rubbed on the fender flares because they stuck out more

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/x...p/3a1f019e.jpg

cbush1885 07-07-2013 08:14 PM

dont be intimidated by the flex, this thing was a beast when i first got it

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/x...p/c28dd2b1.jpg
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/x...p/2777a8ef.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 PM.